Gratuities

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, May 13, 2016.

1. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Its the US, tips is the normal thing for service rendered, If I take people fishing for a week, that paid 15 grand to get there, literally stand between them and bears, and you leave me a 50, 100, 0 dollar tip fuck off! how else can I afford to take 4 months vacation a year, LOL?

2. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

How much does it cost you per day to hang out in India? I’ve been a few times, but my hotels were always $200 per night, drinks were $20, etc.

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

Please tell me you are joking?? I'm paying 20 a night average over the last 1 1/2 months, booked a room in Kathmandu, Nepal for 1 night, ended up staying 2 weeks there, A/C, wifi, satellite flat screen, for 12 bucks a night, now a 2 minute walk to the beach in Goa 20 bucks a night. AC/ fast wifi/ Sat flat screen tv.

4. If the service is shit, then they get shit for a tip.

I can't see giving someone a 15% tip when they earned fuckall.

IMO a tip is earned, not given.

Giving them a 15% tip is almost a slap in the face to people who actually earn their tips. Not only that, but they have no incentive to try to do a good job if people are tipping them 15% for no reason.

Razr and Wheel Bearing like this.
  5. You tip 15% for shit service? That is stupidly generous.

6. R Acree

R Acree Banned

For really crappy service that I am certain is not a kitchen or management problem, I leave a penny just to let them know I didn't forget.

Banditracer and Sabre699 like this.
  7. :stupid:

No tip = maybe I just forgot to tip.

$0.01 tip = you suck ass and this is what you deserve.

badmoon692008 and Sabre699 like this.
  8. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Leaving a penny tip, face up, indicates that you did not have the means to provide a tip but wanted to say you had great service. Leaving only pennies is an insult.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

No. An insult is giving crappy service and expecting recognition for good. I don't care what job you have, it should be done well and with respect to your customer and employer. I am spending my hard earned money on goods and services and have a right to expect good quality and good service. If you fail to provide either, it is not my obligation to reward you. Notice I did exclude management issues (such as understaffing) and kitchen problems (slow service and incorrect orders). My best friend in Raleigh, who waited tables, is the one that told me about the penny, and his understanding is not in accordance with yours.

10. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Oops, sorry I triggered you but the penny is a very old custom. I personally would never do it as most people are ignorant as your friend.

11. Is that a thing? Never in my life have I heard of that.

Ive known many people who were waiters/waitresses, and they always told me that a penny tip basically means "fuck you for the shit service".

LisaU and R1Racer99 like this.
  12. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Do you have a split personality? I mean one post it “ it is amazing to be here, this is an experience of a lifetime, money means nothing because of the experience “ and the next is “fuck those guys for not paying more then what they already did for my service “.

Past Glory likes this.
  13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

This was over 40 years ago and in North Carolina. Maybe things are different in your nape of the neck. Not triggered, I just consider your information inaccurate based on my life experiences. My brother was on the wait staff for several years at a Bennigan's in Raleigh and echoed what my friend told me years ago. YMMV.

14. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

:stupid:

15. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Leaving two pennies is a message that their service was shit, leaving a penny face up beside your tip is an acknowledgment that their service was excellent and you noticed

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I'm not doubling the tip for poor service.

This one I've heard.

FWIW, I can only recall one instance where service was so atrocious that I left a penny. There have been far more times where service has been excellent and I usually leave at least 20%.

17. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Bennigan's! Damn, that was a long time ago:D

I have to agree with you though...there's only been a handful of times in my life that service was completely atrocious. My move was to ask them what I owed for the items on the table at that moment and lay that money on the table and walk away (my dad taught me that move).

LisaU likes this.
  18. SmokeSignalRT

SmokeSignalRT Fat Member

I have been in retail for 25 years, sometimes people have shitty days. I make a good enough living where 15% isn't a big deal for me but maybe for the server it is. The older I get the less I judge people, you never know what a persons going through in life.

pscook and R1Racer99 like this.
  19. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Who still has pennies in their pocket. Got rid of em in Canada.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  20. I know how it is to have shitty days. That is why I have a job where the shittiness level of my day does not dictate my job performance.

It isn't about judging people. It is about rewarding poor performance. They chose to take a job where their pay (above their base salary) is dictated by how they perform. If their ability to perform is dictated by their mood, then they made a poor career choice. In any case, I am not obliged to reward their shitty service.

I am not talking about having to wait to be seated at a table, or food taking longer to cook, things like that. Those types of things are out of their control. But their level of personal service is directly in their control, and I do not reward shitty service.

On the flip side, I greatly reward good service. It isn't uncommon for me to tip 100%, if the service warrants it. I have absolutely no problems tipping...but it is earned, not given.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    Rebel635 likes this.