Gratuities

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, May 13, 2016.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Become?

2. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Yup, my daughter worked as a hostess when she was in college and explained how the servers/bartenders were usually the one's putting the order together. That place did the tip sharing/pooling thing, where credit card tips were evenly distributed among the serving staff each payday. That throws a whole other tangent in the tipping idea. The girl up the road that rides to school with my son, works at another place where the servers put together the food and bring it to checkout, but they don't tip share, so dropping a few bucks in the jar doesn't necessarily mean it goes to the right person. I try to make sure I give a couple of bucks to the person that I see bringing the food up in most cases.

3. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

God damn spelling checks on the beeb. They will be the death of me. Did I spell anything wrong? Scared to hit post

4. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I think he meant he had already achieved crotchety. Bitter...not so much.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Tip sharing is pure BS, no way I'd work in a place that did it. I get the idea especially in places where the servers effectively share tables and help each other out more than the norm but still no way. I would hope if there's a jar then that at least gets split. One place where I was a host I handled all the togo stuff so if there was a tip for it then I got it, although I got paid normal minimum wage not server wages.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing like that, I've been crotchety since I was at least in grade school if not earlier. When I was a teen a friends mom gave me a daily curmudgeon calendar (one of those with a cartoon/saying every day) for xmas one year :crackup:

7. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan Well-Known Member

I rest my case judge wapner, time for a rum and coke!

8. I was a regular at a Mexican restaurant when I lived in TN. They had a takeout counter, but it was handled by the waitstaff, not a salaried worker, so I tipped.

9. Mick6R

Mick6R Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can see both sides of it. Daughter said management always encouraged everyone to be friendly and timely with customers so that everyone's tips would be higher, therefore the split would be more. But almost always end up with a few that just do enough to get by, yet still get an equal share. Had never heard of tip sharing until she explained it to me, as well as talked about the good tip weeks vs. the bad tip weeks and how it impacted her check. Since then, I try to always leave a cash tip, so the person deserving it can more likely keep it in her/his pocket instead of the "pool".

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The idea of having to tip when you pick up your own food offends me on general principle. I might understand it if there was an option to go to the kitchen to get your own food. Maybe. :D

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

This was the disconnect for me and my point.

Captain Morgan likes this.
  12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I guess it helps having worked in restaurants. There is still stuff someone does to put a to go order together and make sure it's all correct even if the cooks put the food in the containers directly. I don't tip 15-20% or the like but it's like a pizza delivery person getting 5 bucks.

13. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Depends on the place... Restaurants I've worked in the person in charge of take out got paid a regular hourly rate while the servers and bartenders made $2.33

14. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Price on the take out menu should be "as delivered to your hands." It's never crossed my mind that tipping should apply to grocery stores either. And yet someone has to put the groceries on the shelves so I can buy them. :D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Basically it all depends on the place. Should be easy enough to see if it's a server or bartender rather than a host/hostess or other regular employee.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The thing is the difference in pay. Here servers and bartenders get paid less and that is offset by tips. Grocery store employees can't be paid as little as restaurant employees can.

It was weird for me being over there and remembering the staff got paid the same no matter the job so no tipping. I was able to buy our server in the Biergarten a shot or two tho :D

17. I have noted that in the US, there tends to be fairly strict rules about bartenders and waitstaff not drinking on the job. Not so in Germany. Quite a few bartenders work in bars because they are alcoholics, and can drink OTJ.

In the town I lived in previously, the bartender would get mad if I didn’t do shots with him when I stopped in for a beer before picking my daughter up from school. :). He would just drink them himself and mutter about stupid foreigners.

18. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Obviously your experience has its limits.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You just need to hang out at better (worse?) bars :D Seriously though, the one I hang out at now is strict about it, but it's also run by former bartenders who know how bad they were with no rules. Then there was the Vortex where they allow it but it could be bad depending on the ability of the person behind the bar to function while drunk. They usually hire good people though who will wait until things are slower before they take you up on it.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No, what it shows is the ability of the general public to believe silly things has no limit :crackup:

I'm with Stupid likes this.