1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who here smokes (food, not cigs)

Discussion in 'General' started by Scotty87, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Don't you have a plow to fix?

On a completely unrelated note, if I want to put 2 4-gang metal outlet boxes connected by conduit on the base of my welding table, do I have to isloate them from the table for any reason? Like sandwich a thin piece of Delrin or something, or just screw them right into the metal?

Yes, I'm aware I just jacked a thread I started.

pickled egg likes this.
  2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Plow works like the mad bomb diggity! Thanks for thinking of me. ;)

Is the table fixed or movable? If it's fixed you can run conduit to the boxes. If it's movable you'll need to make the receptacles cord and plug connected so they can be disconnected from power if the table it moved. Just make sure you properly ground all the boxes and use a grounded plug (I'd use a twist lock) for a cord & plug connection. The boxes can be mounted directly to the table and solid conduit between them, either way.

Edit: just re-read, this is your welding table.

Bad idea. You'd be introducing (DC) current to ground and lighting up your entire grounding system. It can be done, but you'll want isolated ground receptacles (the orange ones with the green triangle--not something you'll find at Menards). Even then I'd avoid it. Too much chance of backfeeding something inadvertently and blowing something up.

3. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I built a big indirect (60x24x36) about 6 years ago (was planning on it being a reverse flow, side box, but never finished it). Works great as an indirect though. Used it a lot for the next 4 years, but have barely touched it the last couple years. We used to throw a lot of big parties and it was a great adventure tending to the fire for hours and hours. The problem with a big one is it's just as much work to do 1 shoulder as it is to 8. So I always did 8 lol. I want to build another one but much smaller for easier weekend use, or maybe just get an egg. I really miss smoking. I've also since acquired a 500gal air tank to make a giant trailer mounted rig. Reverse flow, side mount firebox, and a vertical cold smoke chamber for cheese. That one is gonna have errythang lol. Couple buddies of mine smoke all the time, and we've been talking about entering some competitions, so the big trailer rig would be awesome, but we've been talking about it for a couple years and it hasn't happened yet so....lol

4. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

[​IMG] Just ordered one of these. I’m done tending fires and went to the dark side. Set and forget.

5. Jeff McKinney

Jeff McKinney Well-Known Member

UDS here.My buddy that turned me on to this has a custom gator pit for big cooks,but he uses his UDS most of the time.I use a candy thermometer I bought at GFS on the drum,and have never used one on the meat.

6. Scotty87

Nice. Thanks.
    Check out a ‘Jimmy’. It’s a Weber Smokey Mountain with an 80 quart steamer pot in the middle. It would be perfect for me but I can’t get past the entry price, especially when I bought a 55 gallon drum that had blackberries in it for $20 and basically added 20 bucks worth of valves and pipe.

7. Scotty87

That’s what I fingered. Sucks, it would be nice to plug in one drop and then have power for my grinders, cold saw, portaband, etc. oh well.

8. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

I cheat. I love my Bradley smoker. Turn it on, drop some pucks in and walk away.

Jeff McKinney likes this.
  9. bleacht

bleacht Well-Known Member

Alright, you won. :bow:

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Sheee-yit. I must be a Luddite, because Los heuvo escabeche just showed me what the @ key does.

I have an old offset drum smoker (New Braunfels) that while rusted up is still hangin in after close to 20 years. I use it for big pieces of meat under hot smoke. As you are aware, these types take skill to manage temp and results can be inconsistent, but Ive been at it a long time and when its at full tilt, it looks like and rail steamer. I've actually had decent luck making addtions mid-cook. But horizontal cookers suffer some basic thermo-convecto problems -- heat rises, so if there is no fan, you get a lot of channeling.

I also have a digital Bradley 6 rack and the cold smoke attachment. Its vertical, so you can hang, is all electric-controlled for both temperature and smoke, and you can access various wood types easily. You can really dial it in. The ability to do real cold-smoking (<100F) is a big attraction for me. Some of those famous online pit honchos don't recommend cold smoking, but they're skeered.

Temp is obviously important -- great units here for recording and alerting: thermoworks (ignore Chris Cringle :D).

Rubs -- my advice is don't overdo or overthink it (this from a guy who has a whole hopper in a refrigerator freezer full of spices) -- some of the shit on the web is stupid/complex. Pay more attention to the quality of the spices you are using, becuase old, stale, crappy spices suck. Go to one of the online spice shops are get some decent but not huge quanties (think a year supply or so) and get what you need. A baseline rub of coarse sea salt, medium-coarse pepper, dried garlic, and sweet hungarian paprika in roughly equal measures by weight works on all kinds of stuff. Using hot chili peppers, herbs from the mint family, coriander, and juniper berries work when you want complexity. You can get ideas looking at the spice/rub blends ingredient lists at paces like Penzey's or Spice House or the like (listed in abundance, sans actual ratios).

Trial and error, like in a lot of endeavors (fucking Riverside corner at Buttonwillow notfuckingwithstanding) does pay off in the long run. If you wan test your mettle, I'll give you my recipe for Pastrami -- that will keep you busy.

The web is full of info, but it's the web, and well, there is a lot of shit. The Beeb has some good threads. Mongo's a goddamn smokin' beast when he's not killin' roadracing.

Like Howlin' Wolf said when he sat down with those British white punks, "Maaaaaan, Let's get on it."

Last edited: Jan 26, 2018
    Boman Forklift and badmoon692008 like this.
  11. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I have a ceramic, BGE clone, works great, very versatile, pizza, grill steaks etc, but not the same as an offset smoker. It's nice not to have to tend to the temp much though.

I've got a rub that I've modified. I'll copy it down later and post it. I don't use sauce very often anymore, not needed with the rub.

12. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting it!

If anybody is looking for large Big Green Egg I have one for sale with a lot of accessories!

13. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

yeah. A little stream-of-consciousness-y but yeah.

First, I agree with the Riverside comment. Second, pls do post your Pastrami recipe. I bookmarked the one the one Zambo-Four pointed to (some Montreal foodie blog).

14. river rat

river rat Well-Known Member

What are you looking to get out of it?

15. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

I’ll sell the egg and nest for 600. It works perfectly. I also have a table I built with a stainless steel top I’d let go for $200. Lots of other accessories too we could deal on.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I think I need to make something like that now. :)

17. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

Dobr: if that table is for a large egg (and river rat doesn’t have dibs) then I’ll take it.

dobr24 likes this.
  18. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

You’re on. I’ll let you know.

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Thermoworks Smoke. Best I've used by far. Better probe quality is the main thing but the remote works great and the gateway to put the temps over the net is kick ass too. I went through all sorts of others and there's just no point in buying anything else.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Guessing you got moisture in the probe. BTDT.