Mongo/Evelyn---Join AMA to race WERA???

Discussion in 'General' started by Robby-Bobby, Apr 25, 2015.

1. joec

joec brace yourself

Sorry....WHEN ahrma did it.... The club up north is ama sanctioned. The one nice thing about it way back when, was they also offered racer competition health insurance for a fairly reasonable rate for their members.

I cant keep track of who sanctions what anymore. Its just a confusing mess to me,but i know for district 7, we had to be ama members i think.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

AMA still has deals on health insurance for racers and is working on getting more options/better deals. They also have a deal with Mylaps for a good discount on transponders.

Basically they've given us good answers to my question every meeting we have had over the years "we're already a sanctioning body, what would our members get in return?"

I've been a member for 17 years now (based on the pin I got recently :D) and it's always been for the intangible things they do for racing and motorcycling in the US. Those things are important, without them we could have totally lost kids being able to race for one major example that affects roadracing. They've been worth it to us but Evelyne has always understood we needed more to make it viable for her to require it of WERA racers. She feels it's worth it now for all the reasons she's a life member and many other reasons as well.

We do know it'll upset some people but feel that it's important enough to do anyway.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:stupid:

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Been wearing this for a decade or so.

[​IMG]

5. joec

joec brace yourself

At the time, i was just getting started working for myself. That insurance was super important in getting me going racing. For that alone at the time it was definitely worth being a member. That and the red roof inn discount. Closest hotel to loudon was a red roof.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

7. dsmitty37

dsmitty37 Well-Known Member

Just for some clarification, to run in the National Challenge series such as Cycle Jam and GNF's, it will be an extra $49 for a National Challenge series license?

8. ped

ped Banned

so can we race sat if not a member?

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

No. Starting in May you must be an AMA member to run wera national races. AMA membership costs $49/year.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No.

Again, the idea of a National license was to explain a different method of doing things if people need a better justification. We are NOT currently doing any such thing.

We are however, going to require riders have an AMA membership to run the National Challenge Series classes. Not Sportsman (yet at least). Just National Challenge Series classes. This is class/series based, not event based. If you want to run Sportsman stuff that isn't a National you won't need the membership.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes.

12. RndHoleSqPeg

RndHoleSqPeg Well-Known Member

Another vote for thinking it sucks that an organization that I support, wanting to force me to give money to an organization I don't support.

13. ped

ped Banned

Should make it a $50 national license and the cost thereof includes an AMA membership.

14. simonburic

simonburic Runs Wide

Can we pay for the National License at the track?

15. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

I don't care so much about the 50 bucks.

But if the AMA wants to partner on the deal, then it would be nice for them to throw some attention our way vs. continuously partnering up with CCS for the RRGC.

16. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

:stupid:

17. Agreed.

I am the same way, as far as the license and $50, it is either here nor there. Whatever WERA wants is fine. BUT...when you look at all of the people racing National events, that is a alot of money (and potentially exposure) coming to the AMA.

They should return in kind with promotions/attention/etc.

I don't even care about the AMA benefits that come with the license. I would rather them use my $50 and run an add in their magazine about WERA events, maybe do some racer profiles, things of that nature.

18. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Whatever fills the grids ..

19. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They look at us doing VMD and CCS doing RRGC as keeping things even...

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hoping it helps.