1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any watch lovers here????

Discussion in 'General' started by vizsladog, Jan 27, 2009.

1. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Maybe when they're older...but as the father of an 18 and 22 year old, they could care less about watches. Most 20 somethings think a watch is ridiculous. They have a phone; why in the hell do they need a watch.

My kids would much rather have my RZ350!

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

You don't have to go crazy even though I'd suggest a sub, gmt or even an explorer II (even though I'd go sub). A nice mechanical movement watch will do the deed.

and hey, it will most likely be worth more when he gets it if you go rolex but a nice Hamilton automatic will still be cool. :)

3. elvee

elvee Well-Known Member

Van will get my Hamilton's one day. Good thing since one was a wedding present from my wife and the other has his birthdate engraved in the side of the case.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Elmer, stuff like that just adds to the kick ass factor. It's not what the watch cost but the story behind it. :up:

5. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Anyone know much about Junghans?

Picked up a Junghans Cosmos Mega MF off Craigslist for $20. Had all the documentation, spare link and two manuals. I'm reading up on it, and it looks pretty cool.

[​IMG]

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

For $20 who cares? Even if it's broken, it's right twice a day. :D

7. Jedb

It runs spot on, the RF-Control works, it's a good solid piece. I just didn't know much on the backstory.

Pretty cool technology overall, even though I don't usually like mixing analog with digital.

I'm sure it's going to be a hit on Ebay-Deutschland edition.. :)

8. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

I'm not all ghey for watches like Dave but I really dig your wedding watch in a completely non-homo way. :up:

9. Phl218

Phl218 .

just ordered this cutie:
    [​IMG]

10. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

I looked at a Breitling Superocean Heritage Chronographe 46 over the weekend.

It made me feel funny in my pants.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  11. Jedb

Chris, that's quite nice. The dial layout is the same as my Tudor Tiger Chrono.

I'm usually not a fan of Breitling, as a lot of their watches seem to be overly complicated, but that's a really nice one.

My Tudor is identical to this one:
    [​IMG]

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I've been eye balling the Tudor Ranger. I'm really digging plain "field" watches/ basic pilot watches. IWC Pilot automatic and the explorer I are two others I've been looking at.

13. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Wow, I'm not a big Breitling guy either but that is a great piece.

I think this thread recently has me talked into saving up for a used Rolex sub over the next few years, but for one last watch purchase until then - I think I'm gonna go ahead and get the Seiko SKX009K2 that seems to have a solid rep as a great everyday wear. My current everyday is a Tag F1 that I love, but it's just time for a change. I know it's not expensive at around $180 or so, but can I trust a purchase through Amazon that is only fufilled by them, not sold by them? I've heard conflicting reports. Should I just go to Jomashop and be done with it? Is World of Watches legit?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  14. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I got the Seiko SNZF15 with the Pepsi bezel and blue face. Through Amazon for $160. I wear it every. damn. day. I didn't wear a watch for about five years, now I'm wearing this Seiko every chance I can get.

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-Stainle...F8&qid=1424232575&sr=8-2&keywords=seiko+pepsi

15. sbhockey

sbhockey Orange shirt #157

That Seiko is on my short list. Being an unemployed bum right now I'm not getting anything new. Maybe that will be my welcome back to the working world gift to myself. Hopefully sooner than later.

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Scotty, you can't really go wrong no matter where you get it. I've had my 007 for years. I recently replaced the broken strap with a $10 nato, and started wearing it daily again.

The 009 was an impulse purchase. I wanted a beater watch on a bracelet, and I figured for $160 I couldn't go wrong.

I bought mine on Amazon from a seller called dexclusive. No issues.

I like the Seiko 5 too, but I think the 007/009 is a little nicer watch, plus I have a pepsi GMT II, and they look too similar to have both.

17. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

Anyone know if minor scratches can be polished out of a crystal? I've read differing info online ranging from yes it can be done yourself to only if professionally polished to not a chance. I guess it depends on they type of crystal in the watch too. It's a Citizen Eco Drive Ti FWIW.

It was a hand me down from an uncle so If it can't be done on the cheap I'll probably pass but these scratches are annoying.

18. Monsterdood

Monsterdood Well-Known Member

Anyone heard of or have a Bertucci? I was looking for a robust, light (Ti), with a fabric band for outdoorsy, racing, hiking sort of days. I ran across the Bertucci's and thought they looked interesting. I also saw them on Tactical Watches website too in case that gives the brand some legitimacy.

Field Watch

or

Automatic Field Watch

I also like the Seiko Men's SNDA65 Stainless Steel Watch with Black Canvas Strap and for a little more money, a number of Luminox's.

Thoughts?

19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Never heard of Bertucci, but they're both nice looking. The first one looks seiko-esque with the crown at 4:00. For a little over $100, you could sure do worse. Personally, I can't get into anything quartz. I've tried, but the battery takes away what I love about watches.

The auto is cool too, but at nearly $400, you've ventured into Khaki territory, so I'd give that a look as well. It's not TI, but the weight of an automatic watch is in the movement and crystal, so you're not saving much. It's kind of a gimmick IMO.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Quartz watches have their place and there are a couple of higher end ones that I'd like to own. My main "don't stab me watch" is a cheap seiko quartz that is pretty alright, just wish I had gone larger (42mm or so) with a black face instead of silver so I can actually see what time it is.