Sport Touring bikes

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 10, 2014.

1. I think I want to get a multi, then take it to a track day, and mount the saddlebags and everything...then try to get my elbow down. That picture would be funny as hell. :D

2. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

When I took mine to a big trackday event with many friends at Grattan, you should have seen the reaction I got from all of the guys I let take it for a spin. Shock. Awe. One guy even said "I kept telling myself - holy crap! This thing actually has hard cases and is a touring bike!"

3. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I bought a VFR800 and hated it. I'm with the guys who say take any almost any modern sport bike and modify it for comfort at least for solo touring. But then again I rode an ex-500 from Springfield, MO to Montreal, Canada and back for the F1 race camping the whole way so perhaps I'm not a good judge :)

The older guys most of whom on Ducatis in our Sunday morning ride and breakfast group have BMWs for touring.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

My buddy pealed his hard case off his KTM Adventure when we were on a trip in New Mexico (between Eagle Nest Lake and Taos). We stopped and the guy behind me dismounted to get the box out of the road. I went ahead to tell the bag owner that he'd lost his bag. When I got along side he thought I wanted to race (what exactly is the hand signal for "you lost your hard case"?). Hilarity and a lost hour insued. Good times! :crackup:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW I know a couple few people who take their Multistradas down to South America and the like including a lot of stuff I normally think KTM for.

6. bwhip

bwhip latebraker.com

7. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Add another BMW to the mix.

:)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

9. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Mad respect, but you are a complete nutter. That is crazy. :D

10. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

:confused: Did you misread the article?

11. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Maybe you did?

I think BMW is confused. Even in the article they mention the 17" wheels and road only bike for " rough secondary roads".

21"/18" = off road oriented ADV bike
    19"/17" = street oriented Adv bike
    17"/17" = street bike

Sure you can take a bike with 17" wheels off road but it's going to suck compared to the real deal. 19"/17" is a decent compromise.

If anyone wants to bring their 17"/17" bike along on my next ride on my 950 they are welcome to. I'll post video. :)

12. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I don't understand people like you who try to be an elitist. Why do you take your 950 where a 250 should be going? Is it cause your penis is small?

I have a '12 Multistrada...it is a fantastic road bike. You can do gravel roads but who cares. Bring your 950 on the next street bike ride and see if you can keep up for the week. Good luck.

13. mfbRSV

mfbRSV Well-Known Member

Did you notice I posted the link in a thread about sport touring bikes? Thanks for clearing that up for me. :rolleyes:

14. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My best friend bought one two weeks ago. I went with him on my 1100GS and while I love my GS, it feels like a farm tractor compaired to his KTM. The engine in the K is unbelievable. I'm hoping all the electronic do-dads in the K hold up. That's the main reason I like my old GS; I can fix it with a ball peen hammer and a three foot screwdriver.

15. Zephyr

Zephyr Tank Killer

I'd say yes. How many bikes out there can boast about having the sensual sound that only a V4 can produce? Not many.

Beautiful VFR man. I love the matte black.

16. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

I really don't want to try to understand your thought process but it seems really weird that when he started talking about tire sizes you somehow started thinking about his dick.

17. It looks like the new 800cc VFR is coming to the US.

18. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I've owned one of every generation of the VFR, except the last one. They are awesome bikes, they didn't earn Cycle World's BOTY about 10 years straight for nothing.

19. Comfortable for long range touring (800cc)?

20. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

They're extremely comfortable for any length of travel. They're sporty enough for the twisties, and comfy enough to add up the miles. The engine could use a little more hp, has around 108 I believe, I have never ridden the Vtech model though.
    It's a bike that just works well. All the controls are well thought out.