Which AR 15 type rifle?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mille R, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Who uses them?

2. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

I should have put this on pg 1, but here is THE website for AR-15 info. There is a wealth of information and many links in this thread. Happy reading.

http://forums.officer.com/t81462/

3. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

4. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Various.

6. grantcarruthers

grantcarruthers Well-Known Member

Been on some forums for these types of weappons and some posters talk about using them in combat. No clue if they're posers or legit.

Went to wiki, consume info at your own risk:D

The Special Operations Forces Combat Assault Rifle (SCAR)[9] is a modular rifle made by FN Herstal (FNH) for the United States Special Operations Command (SOCOM) to satisfy the requirements of the SCAR competition.[10] This family of rifles consist of two main types. The SCAR-L, for "light", is chambered in the 5.56×45mm NATO cartridge and the SCAR-H, for "heavy", fires 7.62×51mm NATO. Both are available in Long Barrel and Close Quarters Combat variants.
    The FN SCAR systems completed low rate initial production testing in June 2007.[11] After some delays, the first rifles began being issued to operational units in April 2009, and a battalion of the US 75th Ranger Regiment was the first large unit deployed into combat with 600 of the rifles in 2009.[12] The US Special Operations Command has currently cancelled their purchase of the Mk 16 SCAR-L and are planning to remove the rifle from their inventory by 2013. However, they plan to purchase 5.56 mm conversion kits for the Mk 17, supplanting the loss of the Mk 16.[13] The SCAR is now one of the competing weapons in the Individual Carbine competition which aims to find a replacement for the M4 Carbine.[14]

7. madman

madman Well-Known Member

if you build it, they will come.

8. caferace

caferace No.

I want one that goes "Pew Pew Pew..."

-jim

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Good. Cause that's all yer gettin in granola land. You do get ten "PEWs" though!

10. caferace

caferace No.

:D

-jim

11. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

The SCAR is one bad ass platform.

12. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Doesn't Bushmaster make one too? The ACR or something?

13. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

No comparison. The Scar is a truly rugged and battle tested platform that is still in use. The bushy is well, a bushy. Between the two I would buy the scar. Sure it is more coin, however, if you buy a Scar you own a dependable and awesome weapon.

14. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thanks! :up:

Someone also mentioned the MagPul fold down sights, any good? Too cheap?

I'm registering with a few online ammo stores and hitting all the 'notify me' icons I can find, in hopes to find a case somewhere.

15. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

One of my guns has the Troy sights, the other the Magpul. There is nothing 'wrong' with the Magpuls, but I much, MUCH prefer the Troy pieces.

16. orientexpress11

orientexpress11 Well-Known Member

17. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

:up:

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

LWRC just got bought by Colt. Good, bad, indifferent? I don't own either one but might pick up a Colt Moe some day.

19. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

Will give Colt a very well proven piston design to market. They won't be inexpensive, but they'll run.

I looked at a Colt modular 7.62 the other day, and although it doesn't really mean anything as far as function, the surface qualities and finish on many parts was not good. Really bad in fact with JP's, LMT's sitting next to it for comparison - for less money.

Would annoy me in a $3000 rifle.

20. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I have no idea why Colt would want any part of LWRC unless they are scrambling over the government contracts they lost out on recently. LWRC reminds me of Kimber. Started off badass, then turned into a huge hype machine kicking out an average product at a premium price.