1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey AMA Your Jump Start Rule is STUPID.

Discussion in 'General' started by Britt, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Probably one of the reasons I like Josh (and Martin also) is that when shit goes sour, they will own it. I can appreciate a racer that says on a national broadcast that they messed up, not the bike, and it's their fault.

2. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I spent 2010 traveling with both of them and crew chiefing Meli. They are good friends. However, I try to leave emotion, bias, and bro love out of it when having a public discussion about rules and enforcement - I recommend this approach, BTW if one wishes to appear logical and unbiased.

I talked to Josh Sunday and heard his side of the story. As always, there are two or three sides.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I do too (take the friend aspect out - hell, we DQ'd Ev's son) and I'm sure there are - as I said, I'd need a LOT more info on enforcement. No matter what the rule needs to be fixed and the new one needs the right people enforcing it.

4. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

What we're seeing tells it all.

If it was fair, or if they were trying to be fair, it would look and smell and taste like a Big Mac, every time.

We're not getting a Big Mac, by design.

5. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

There was a time (last year) when McGrath was in charge of the calls subjectively, and in my opinion, this was the best so far, and fair, because Dave is pretty damn good race director, imho. He is an ex racer and very smart. I do respect his abilities (Yamaha doesn't think so right now). I think we need to go back to this. Screw this post-start movement shit. Let an ex racer with the credentials of race director make the call, then it's his gig to argue it with protestors after the race. I think they were trying to avoid post race controversy, but Saturday, the call induced extreme controversy. You have no idea.

At both WSB and MotoGP, they have cameras and officials, and those guys make the calls without the 'movement' rules we now have in AMA. Have we heard controversy there lately? No.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Agreed. Thank you, sir.

7. John29

Rick, I respect your opinion. But I disagree big time on your assessment of the Race Director's calls last year and this year, and I gotta ask, if it's not the Race Director making the calls now, who is making the calls now?

8. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I may be talking out my ass. Didn't we go to a camera view deal (like MotoGP) where Dave made calls on the spot about "advantage" to a change recently where any movement (not pixels) was considered a jump?

Did I miss a memo?

9. Critter

Critter Registered

I have to admit I find this thread comical. If any of you guys think that you will EVER AND I MEAN EVER get fair officiating from any organization owned by anyone in or associated with the france family please contact me.

I have a bridge and some investments I think you might be interested in.

Hang around my town and talk to people in the big show and it will become clear it does not matter who is carrying out the mission if the general never changes.

Now all that being said Josh Herrin will probably win the championship this year and he will deserve to win the championship, because he did what he was supposed to do. he took care of his equipment, did not fry clutches and did not skip it down the road.

Congrats to J Herrin he deserves to win the championship

10. John29

Yeah, OK, so who made the decision to make that change and who is making the calls on jumps now, and why weren't the penalties being applied uniformly last weekend?

11. John29

I agree with Critter on the guy who wins, deserves to win. Although he (whomever he may turn out to be) hasn't quite sealed the deal just yet! But Josh Herrin version 2013 is definitely a force to be reckoned with!

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Don't know who or why the rule was amended. Al or Dave would know and they would tell you who, why, and when, or at least they would tell me. The decision was wrong and detrimental. As I said, the earlier decision making process let Dave judge whether it was an advantage, and I think he did pretty well. (Post pixel-movement, newest regime) Now, it's bullshit. Go back. It worked. If a guy went a whole row up, he was penalized. If a guy(girl) just passed the box container 15 milliseconds before the lights went out, Dave let it go. That system generated fewer complaints, protests, and race-changing penalties. That is more better.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  13. John29

OK I get that, yeah, it was better that way. Going back to that would be an improvement.

14. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Can I help to push for a return to the old method? Something in writing for a board meeting? Let me know, I'll gather facts.

15. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

And this young man has done his homework and dedicated this whole year to do just that.... Mad props to all these riders and more. JH2 has changed lots in his life to make this happen....

16. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Why not take out the movement and advantage criteria and penalize for leaving the box? Easy to police, and no interpretation needed. If I guy want's to roll the dice and try and predict the light, no problem, it's on him.

17. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

ok, just playing the flip side : ;)
    All these guys are champions, and a big congratulations to ANY that win it all.. you have to be wicked fast, have a great team, great bike, little bit of luck (for those that believe is such a thing) but how is Hayes any less deserving ? Was it his fault the bike dnf'd at Daytona ? No doubt there is a lot that goes into winning a championship, but I think we could start an entire new thread on who was clearly the faster rider during most of the 2013 superbike championship. Nearly every pole, tons of race wins, most laps led by far, etc. But Hayes is any LESS deserving ? And there is STILL a chance for at least 4 riders to pull it off if not mistaken. The "FAT LADY" hasn't sang just yet. :)

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  18. SnacktimeKC

SnacktimeKC Well-Known Member

Damn right she hasn't sung!

This won't be a story of "Is Josh Herrin's championship a ligit championship, it will be a story of how Hayes won the championship despite multiple DNF's and BS start penalties. -Snack

19. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Finally saw the race. Wow..... What a bullshit call. Hayden had just a
    A much movement if not more. Neither had an advantage regardless. Hayes is deserving because he is a step above the rest and has had a couple questionable calls against him this year. Herrin will gladly take the championship anyway he can get it. But that leads me to a question. What is the least amount of races won by a crowned AMA super mid champion. Technically Herrin has only beat Hayes straight up once all year. He'll even admit that.

20. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Let's say Josh Herrin wins the championship....how the f*** would it not be a legit championship? He had the most points at the end of the season...finished...done. Saying it isn't legit is rude.