1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overall Championship

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Dec 29, 2010.

1. I understand what you are saying, but i honestly cannot understand how the concept of an overall championship can be discredited.

As previously stated, points are earned by where you place so a guy can win 2 races and have more points than a guy who finishes in 9th in 5 races. Also, being an overall championship is won by amassing the most total points, it must be done in several classes. In other words, somebody simply can't pick 1-2 "empty" classes in 1 particular Region and dominate them to win an overall championship...they won't earn enough total points. And there won't be 5 empty classes every weekend in every region. Therefore the winner will have to prove himself against many different riders, on many different tracks and against many different bikes.

So no matter how you look at it, the championship will have to be earned by racing fast and consistent in several classes over the course of an entire year.

So like i said before, an overall championship would be even harder to obtain than a single class regional championship...especially considering the entire nation is eligible/competiting for it.

I don't understand how somebody can be ok with calling a racer a "Champion" because he picked 1 class in 1 region (empty or not) and earned more points than anybody else.........but yet they aren't ok with calling somebody a "Champion" who earns more points, in several classes, than anybody else in the entire Nation. :confused:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  2. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

i'm still on your side Chris.

3. :up:

:beer:

Seems to me like there are enough other people that are ok with the idea also to at least give it a shot. If it doesnt work, what is hurt? It doesnt cost anybody any extra money and doesnt eliminate any classes/bikes or reduce track time for anybody.

4. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Yes, but back to my other example. It would be like choosing who is the best basketball team in college hoops without the tourney. In a smaller club with a smaller region, this works. In something as big as WERA (like the NCAA hoops), how do you compare points/wins from different regions/leagues? Is rider X who does Buttonwillow, AutoClub, etc, any better than rider Y who does Jennings, Taladega, etc, or rider Z who does Gingerman, Grattan, etc? Again, just like choosing if Stanford is better than NC State or Michigan, with little to no cross-play. That's all.

5. stickboy274

You're trying to compare things that we aren't talking about is what's happening. You enter races, you kick butt. You get points. You get more than everybody else, TADA!!!! You're the champ.

That's the formula. Don't over think this one.

6. I can see that point.

The argument would be that being fast/consistent at 3-4 tracks simply won't win in. There are too many good riders who race in several classes and several different tracks, in multiple regions.

Somebody could be the lap record holder at a certain track on a 600cc, dominate every 600cc race (SS and SB) and still come up way short as far as the overall championship is concerned.

So if that will be the biggest complaint, how about an "Eastern Champion" and "Western Champion"?

Then nobody can say "well you didn't ride against _____ at _____ in _____ weather" etc.

7. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

No - there is now way to compare amassing 250 points in the North Florida region, with amassing 251 points in WERA West, with amassing 252 point in North Central. That's all.

8. Yeah, i agree.

An Eastern and Western Champion could be a resolution, but like you said...that is over-complicating the situation.

Race alot. Place well. Earn the most points. Win.

9. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Well I'm glad you at least see the problem. And this goes to the validity of saying a person is number 1 in the nation, as others have said. And believe me, I see your point too - and believe it might get some people to do an extra race or two.

10. stickboy274

Why not? Are races run/scored diff. across the country? This isn't about comparing rider a to rider b. This is just something to add as a bonus. If you're already fast, adding one or two more races to be fast in might get you this in addition to what you already earned.

11. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

Okay - the Overall National Champion in Men's college football is an undefeated, 15 win team from a no-name conference. Wins are wins!!

12. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I agree. Did you think I made it up to make it sound cool? :D

More seriously, I think it would be interesting to research how many people actually chase overall championships with CCS. Unless things have changed dramatically, it's really not many people at all.

That said, I agree that any extra income is good for the org.

13. If somebody sits and over-analyzes it, they can find a way to discredit EVERY championship...even those won over the course of the National Series and those won at the GNF.

There are always people (and justifications) to say "he isn't a true champion because....". BUT...where were you? He won it, you didn't. Instead of trying to discredit it, focus on working harder so maybe you can be accepting the trophy next year. I guarantee that the person who wins the trophy would be proud of it and would feel a great sense of accomplishment. At least i know i would.

Personally, i think it is a good idea (i have to try to exploit it as much as possible, i don't have good ideas very often :D). I do think it could get more people to enter more races and/or travel to more regions. At the end of the day, that is the ultimate goal...especially with the way things are now.

14. Matt H

Matt H ah, mi scusi

As I said, I do see the point and how it might increase entries.

15. :beer:

16. got40

got40 On hiatus...

Not many. CCS' way of scoring it is a little interesting. I posted a thread about it on the CCS Forum cuz I didn't understand it. Short of it is, no one cares. The points fall where they do and then on the last double points weekend theres someone that comes in with a bunch of borrowed bikes, races every class, and wins the #1 plate.

After its all said and done, I think the overall has less credit than the class championships bc its so easy to manipulate. It might get more people on the grid, but I was at every CCS Southeast round and WERA Southeast round last year and it really didn't look any different, so I'm skeptical on that.

Its a nice gesture.

17. got40

got40 On hiatus...

18. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I think it's a good concept, however, there may be a flaw that needs to be taken into consideration (not sure if it was mentioned previously, if so, sorry). There are events that award points in multiple regions. So, a person that wins 1 race in an event that awards points in 2 regions gets the same points as a person who wins 2 races in individual regions.
    Certainly shouldn't be a showstopper, but, something that would have to be taken into consideration for the administrative part of determining the points totals.

19. I don't see how that has anything to do with the proposed overall championship here. There are three major differences/issues with their overall champion competition.

1. They have a Points Index - waaaay too complicated and it actually encourages people not to enter races with only a few entries and/or not to enter races they don't think they can podium in.

You have to carefully select the classes you race in to ensure you are awarded the highest P/I. That would not be the case with what i am suggesting.

The goal of this is to get more racers entering more classes; a P/I system negates that.

2. They have a double-points race at the end of the season. That has not been suggested here.

3. There is no cap on the number of classes. So somebody can show up at the last round (double-points), borrow a couple of bikes, enter 10 classes and walk away with the #1 plate.

We have proposed a limit of 5 classes (or points towards the overall are only awarded for your highest 5 finishes). A 5-class limit is enough to entice people to race an additional Sprint or two...but not enough that somebody can come in a make a clean sweep of the championship in 1 or 2 weekends.

20. Good point and it is an easy fix.

Rider A earns 25pts over the course of a cross-regional weekend.

Obviously the points count towards the championship in each region; but he still only earned 25pts...so his yearly total goes up 25pts.

At the end of the weekend, the points for each rider can be added up and his total number of points adjusted accordingly. THEN the points are applied to each specific region as usual.