AMA moves to a spec tire

Discussion in 'General' started by Knarf Legna, Sep 2, 2007.

1. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

So being decisive regardless of the ramifications of the decision is something to admire? Something to applaud? Interesting point of view.

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

ANd it sounds like some didn't want to sacrifice rider safety (or riders) for the integrity of the series.

And I doubt that any more than 1 or 2 teams were set up to do race time tire changes.

It would have been a mess at best and a catastrophe at worst.

A good move in a bad situation.

3. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

Hopefully it doesn't come up too often in the future , If you read the letter from Dunlop Sunday morning that was given to all fans coming in the gate and Superbike riders it was a decision made by the track management at Road Atlanta in conjuction with the AMA and Dunlop. i would think that everyone that does not agree or has a better idea that they should write both the AMA and Road Atlanta with their suggestions.

4. Knarf Legna

Sure, Rodger, everybody had already packed up their axle wrenches. :rolleyes:

BTW, I seem to recall that race 1 went the full distance.

5. fourandsix

Sometimes decisions have to be made with little or no time to debate , thats what i was taught in the military. I think the outcome was satisfactory to both the teams involved and the fans that watched the race. It seems only some non involved parties are the only ones complaining. I don't see the 3 riders on pirellis complaining or Pirelli themselves. Would there be as much outcry if it was another tire manufacturer involved , i think not.

6. fourandsix

Yes it did and many riders had severe chunking , thats why the 2nd race was shortened.

7. Knarf Legna

I measure decisions by their quality, not by their expediency. If a race director can't make an unbiased decision under pressure then he's not the man for the job.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, that would work great for Pirelli when they're painted to be against rider safety. Same for Michelin or anyone else who bitches about an obviously biased decision.

Yes, this is better than Barricks inability to make a call on anything. But it's the wrong call. It's not up to the AMA to regulate the product a team or supplier chooses to bring. Those Dunlop riders could have easily bought Pirelli's or Michelins that would last the race if they felt the Dunpops were yet again unsafe. Instead, the AMA changed the rules because they were swayed by a ridiculous safety argument.

9. fourandsix

What rule did the AMA change ? Race distance is not a rule. I doubt the other tire vendors would have had enough tires to suply all the competitors and when would have the riders been able to set up their bikes to work with the new brand of tires?

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Last I checked race distance is listed in the rulebook. I could be off on that though since I've been mainly concentrating on the technical side of them.

11. Knarf Legna

So what's the point of allowing pit stops for repairs during a race? Explain, please.

12. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I'm sure that you are in a better position to poll the team managers than I am, but my guess is that nobody wanted to do racing tire changes.

Frank, how do you factor into your decison the increased risk to rider safety?

The two increased risk factors would come from increased risk of crashing due to 1) tire chunking 2) improper race tire changes 3) crashes due to riders being unfamiliar with racing into and out of the pits.

It was a bad situation but I think they made the best of it.

13. fourandsix

I can see that you disagree with the decision, but i doubt you would have made any better of one. Maybe you should have applied for the job Morgan now holds and then AMA racing would be perfect.

14. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

Well 4&6, we may disagree on the intellegence, professionalism, and judgement displayed by AMA race direction, but I do agree that everyone who has an opinion on this should voice that opinion to the AMA in the form of a well thought out and written letter (assuming they are members and if they're not they should be). I also share your hope that this kind of thing does not become part of the factories' and manufacturer's race strategy.

15. fourandsix

A person with your superior race knowledge would know that if you pit during a sprint race your race is basically over, it's not endurance.

16. Knarf Legna

First, there was no need to risk rider safety. If your tire starts going away you pit, especially if you know in advance that life expectancy isn't up to race duration.

Second, you make it sound as if nobody's ever changed a tire during a Superbike race. That's ridiculous.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not the AMA's problem. That would be Dunlop's problem as well as the teams dumb enough to use the wonderful exploding tires. They had a test where their product sent a rider into the wall - and they still couldn't get the right tire to the track which was being used under much less extreme temperatures? Give me a break.

What I find hilarious is if they did this shit in a class where your riders were entered you'd be screaming louder than most anyone else. It's all well and good because it has no direct effect on you and for whatever reason you're sucking up to Broadhead. But the reality is simple, a rule was changed to suit one manufacturer of one product and that sets a precedent that will totally screw the AMA out of any credibility they had gained to this point with the new people running things. Back to the same old shit of backroom deals that benefit one company.

18. Knarf Legna

Ah - personal insults - the last gasp of those frustrated by being unable to support their position with reasonable discourse. Congratulations.

You don't know me from Adam, so I'll let your attempt at an insult pass. Now that you've gotten that out of your system maybe you can get back to the discussion.

19. Knarf Legna

I think you're just not getting it - it's not AMA race direction's job to ensure that any particular team can finish a race. Your points are getting less and less sustainable, you might want to go back and think this one over a bit. And thanks for another attempted insult, you're on a roll.

20. fourandsix

I have been attending AMA races over the last 26 years as well as some CCS and Wera races . Race distance is not cast in stone as races have been shortened various times over the years by all orgs including yours. This has happened due to a number of reasons including loss of daylight from delays .