1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Z125 PRO SETUP

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by MStone182, Feb 23, 2017.

Tags:
  1. MStone182

MStone182 Well-Known Member

I understand that the Z125 is excluded from the GROM specific class but is it legal to race period? If so, what specifically needs to be done in preparation for a race weekend? I have a full Yoshi exhaust, Bazzaz tuner, and a pod air filter from MNNTHBX currently. I just wasn't sure about specific safety wiring, and the side stand.

2. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

Depends on your race org. Out here you have to do pretty much the same safety wire job you would on a big bike (oil drain plug, caliper bolts, etc.).

As far as set up on the Z...if you are still on the stock suspension I would:
    - lower the forks until they are about 1 mm inside the top clamp (make the bike taller/ more trail)
    - replace the fork oil with the heaviest weight you can find. I've used 25 wt. but I wanted more...30 wt. might be just right
    - make the wheel base as long as possible (longer chain)...the bike needs stability
    - the rear shock is limited on adjustments, I just set the spring preload to the last notch and dealt with it

If you're going to spend money on the bike I would get a full suspension set up (stiffer fork springs/ heavy oil and a race shock), extended swingarm, and whatever engine mods your organization allows. The Two Brothers handlebar kit and footpegs are pretty good too for opening up the ergos.

3. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Should fit in a regular mini class as far as I know. Safety-wire the oil drain plug, filler cap, and the oil filter (if it has one). Zip-tie up the kick-stand for the race. And tape off any lights/glass you leave on.

If it's anything like the Grom, I would also recommend taking some silicone and putting a dab on any bolts that could vibrate loose and cause an oil leak (timing inspection covers, cam covers, etc.)