1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your first season racing.

Discussion in 'General' started by backcountryme, Jul 6, 2019.

1. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Started Drag racing bikes in 1986 at 19, bought a RD350 setup from a guy that was quitting and started with it. It evolved to a 400 pretty soon afterward. Then I bought a KZ that was a 1227 in 1987. Thought Rentzell and the other locals guys that road races were fucking idiots for traveling as much as they did to race.... Ended up traveling a bunch drag racing anyway.
    Got married in 88 and that killed the drag racing.

Built a Pony Car to run local dirt tracks in 1992, my first race we drew for starting spots. Started 27th out of 32 and finished fourth in my first race. Raced dirt cars up
    Through 98 then quit because Kris was wanting to race Motocross.
    We both raced Motocross through 2001, he was at the point then I quit racing so we could focus on his racing and to ease the burden.
    Spent the next few years getting Kris to
    The races we felt he needed to go to...
    Said eff it at the end of 2012.

Drug a old Rayburn car out, put a 604 in it and went back to racing DLMs in 2013. There is still a Mastersbilt with a stealhead in it downstairs. Thanks to the Twins class it hasn’t been out in a couple of years.
    Maybe next year...

2. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Started in 77 at Summit Point on a CB400F. I don't remember if it was still ERA at that point or if it had become WERRA. Peter and Patty Frank were still running the show.

motoboy likes this.
  3. ducrcr

ducrcr reasonably fast old guy

Went to a race school with MCRA at 21 in '86 with a '85 GPz550 and raced pretty steady for the next 20 years or so. Last significant season was 2010.

CoreyDSFA likes this.
  4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Started racing in March 1975 at Snetterton when I was 18 on a 250 Montesa. I was lapped twice in a six lap race I was that slow.

Montesa.jpg

There has only been 4 seasons since that I haven't turned a wheel on the track.

5. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

2002. I think. :) Would put me around 34 at the time. Sounds about right, I bought my first street bike when I was 30, rode on the street for a couple of years and then the Bargy school and racing. Not really much in the way of track days at the time. Or not that I knew about.

did the Bargy School at Roebling Road with a friend. I was on my Honda Hawk GT/NT650, he was on his R1. Since you couldn't race liter bikes as a novice at the time, I got to race with WERA that weekend, while he had to wait a few weekends before he bought an R6 and started racing. I only raced off and on again when I could afford tires, mostly on my hawk and then on an SV650 in endurance racing.

6. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Says who....? :cool:

I admittedly raced my '92 GSXR 750 with an 1100 motor in it as a novice pretty much from the get go. I have since asked for forgiveness.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

When I was in high school the neighbor behind us owned a motorcycle shop, he came to the house to talk to my parents about sponsoring me to race MX when I was 15. I was able to keep up with his son who was winning races on my crappy xt250. I didn't find about it till I was 22. Started racing three wheelers in my early 20's, MX and flat track. Started road racing motorcycles when I was 43, raced for 13 years.

8. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

1997 at IRP. This is about as good as it gets for pictures from that era. Still have my rookie shirt on. There was some kid from Kentucky named Nicky there that weekend, everybody kept saying to keep an eye on him because he was going to go far. I'm pretty sure I was on track with him during 2 stroke practices because I believe he was on an RS125 that day. John Ulrich either taught the class or gave the new racers a speech. He was pretty hard-core about expectations but he was also spot on.

[​IMG]

britx303, Razr, mpusch and 1 other person like this.
  9. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

We did wear some fancy leathers back in the day :). I still have the race bike 72 CB750. old race.jpg

backcountryme and rd400racer like this.