1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You know your getting old when...

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by XRacerX, Sep 25, 2006.

1. XRacerX

XRacerX Well-Known Member

when the bikes you bought right out of High School are now legal for Vintage racing... :eek:

I bought a brand new 88 GSXR 750, and started racing at Loudon (the old track). I raced from 88-92ish, all over. Favorite track is still Hallet. I have 3 oil-cooled GSXRs in the garage.

Here is my question. Would this be a legal combination for V5?

89 750 frame
    86-88 1052 motor
    Mikuni flatslides
    SRAD forks
    94 GSXR 750 swingarm
    Penske, Fox, or Ohlins shock
    aux. oil cooler
    PM wheels

Im actually building an old oiler for a trackday bike, but thought it might be cool to build it to V5 rules, and come out and play sometime. Im in Kansas, but relocating to FL in a couple of months.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Im not looking to set the world on fire, but these are all parts that I already have. Not that i have to use them all on this bike though... Thanks in advance to any replies..

2. MES Racing

MES Racing Well-Known Member

Looks like V6.

3. XRacerX

Sorry about that... thats what I meant... V6, I know it would be legal for V7, but would this pass tech for V6?

4. GypsyRacing

GypsyRacing V7 Gypsy

I believe you found a popular combination for V6/V7.

5. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Yes it would be legal and welcomed into V6. Several of us ride this hybrid in V6. I know 2 that use 88,89 750 frames and I use a massively braced 86 frame. Several run the auxillary oil coolers although not necessary for sprint races of 8-10 laps they were more common in the 2-6 hour endurance races of old. In fact all of us run upside down forks of some later years. Flat slides, pod filters all welcome and the only thing some may complain on is the swingarm. We all run 17 inch rims as they provide the best tire choices and 5.5 rear rims. The 91-95 rear rim will mount up to the stock swingarm with the stock spacers. Front requires some spacers to be made. I use Penske shocks on all 3 of my GSXRs as they are a great option for ride height adjustment. The bike is also legal for V7 which includes bikes manufactured before 96 although 90 percent of V7 are V6 bump ups. Very competitive class up front but plenty of good clean racers all around. I'd say our average age is 38 so we race on Sunday and pay the mortgage on Monday if you know what I mean. Any questions PM me and I'll help get you started. If you are moving to North Florida Jennings Gp is a great place to sort out your bike and El Skwid, alias Michael Wagner can help you with directions as he is the North Florida regional champion.
    Eboz

6. XRacerX

Hey thanks for the info... I actually turn 38 in 2 days, so that parts works! I am moving to Tallahassee. So the 94/95 braced swingarm is a no no? Are you guys using the 88/89 swingarm, 90-92 swingarm, w/1052s? I assume the 1127 is a no go also? Are radial brakes allowed? Okay... Ill stop there.... thanks again...

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

I've never purchased a vintage bike, but I own a whole herd of them.

8. XRacerX

Here is one I built a couple of years ago... 89 750 w/1216, and a few extras...

Attached Files:

9. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

Careful,you may get protested with that motor :p

10. XRacerX

:up: most of that bike is long gone.... including the motor...

11. Outsider V6 V7

Honestly I don't think anyone would complain about the swingarm as bracing and modifications are allowed. NO to the radial brakes as they were not available at the time but yes to 4 and 6 piston. To be politically correct I must say no to the 1127 motor in V6 however I did protest myself for running an 1127 while my 1052 was being rebuilt. It was a stone stock 1127 Katana motor and my thought was if this is the best I can cheat then I need to protest myself. LOL Throw something together and come on out. There are a lot of great guys racing in these classes and unlike a lot of classes we help each other out and normally pit together. Doesn't mean we are not competitive.

12. XRacerX

Sounds like a lot of fun... I wouldnt really be that competitive any way or going for points, so I guess it doesnt really matter what I run. Sounds like you guys have a blast, which is what it is all about. Once I get moved, I will start building something, and hopefully I will make it out. Thanks for the replies... when is the GNF, might have to come out and see what is going on...

13. Outsider V6 V7

GNF I believe is the 11-15th of October and should be a blast. Great looking bike you built.

14. XRacerX

I should be visiting FL that weekend... might have to drive up, and the catch the bug first hand. You know how addicting the sites and smells can be...

Here is my new project bike... got her last week for next to nothing... Long way to go... parts is parts...

Attached Files:

15. Outsider V6 V7

I see we have the same interior decorator for the garage. LOL I'll try and post some of my pictures later this week.
    Eboz

16. El Skwid!

El Skwid! Old guy, old bikes

Welcome aboard, but your bikes are way too pretty to race with us.
    All the Vintage racing @ GNF is on Th the 12th, so plan accordingly.

Sooooo, Kansas is a great place to find old school GSX-R's?

The rulebook is posted online. JGP does open trackdays 2 weekends a month, & Vintage bikes must run Bridgestones. :D

17. XRacerX

Hell yeah... post some pics of your old racebikes... very cool!!

18. XRacerX

I will definately try to make it up on the 12th. I havent found too many in Kansas... this last little POS was only 45 minutes away, but my 88 1100 came from Cali, and my 91 1100 is from New Hampshire... so, where ever they are cheap!!!

Does JGP run year around? That just seems crazy coming from Kansas... A couple of my friends drove out there last month for a trackday... they just love the elevation changes on that track... :Poke: Bridgerocks only?!?!? WTF :D

Ive looked through the rule book a bit.... leaves a bit of interpeting to do, if I make it out, I wont be going for any points, so no worries. My bikes are far from being too pretty to race... hell, thats what they were made for... :up:

19. Outsider V6 V7

Not going for points is like not going out to get drunk. Sure you just go out to have a few drinks the bonus is you get drunk.

20. XRacerX

Now you put it into terms I can understand!!! :beer:

I prob wont be running the whole series, so the points will be irrelevent. But still dont want to come in last either... ;)