1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

You guys that hunt......

Discussion in 'General' started by britx303, Nov 4, 2020.

1. RonR

RonR Well-Known Member

11/28 rifle season starts in MD where allowed. 90FB4B22-E693-4B74-8794-C023576F4710.jpg

2. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I miss bugling for elk during the rut.

true story: I once got a group of Rocky Mountain elk talking to each other from the top of a big valley using my saxophone.

casjoker likes this.
  3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Are you Saxsquatch from FB? I could seem them responding if so.

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

What rifle are you looking to use? We are allowed to use rifle that shoots SWC’s in shotgun only counties. Not really sure why that is, but gives more options

5. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

SWC would be calibers like 45-70 govt, 44 magnum, 444 marlin, 350 legend basically they have no "neck" like you see on .308, 5.56. Some can be very effective.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  6. britx303

.450 bushmaster as well. Had my Eye on one, but sold before I made a move........a whole lot of that currently.:confused:

casjoker likes this.
  7. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I have an AR in .223 that I intended to use but soon learned of better options. Hunting is on hold at the moment. It’s nice to hear of your adventures out there.

8. casjoker

I applaud you for not using the .223 (flame me if you want speaking from my personal experience with the round) Yes, it can kill deer but really is subpar compared to all the other options out there. Especially with the accuracy of a lot of entry-level rifles these days.

9. britx303

Almost bought a 223 today when a 308 sold out from under me in literally less than 30 seconds. Only went for the 223 out of anger.......then got denied because of my califor......I mean Maryland address. :mad::D:(:D. Oh well.....I’m in the stand with the crossbow now and any deer better hope they don’t resemble any Twix bars:D I ain’t happy and somethings going down!.......hopefully

motoracer1100 likes this.
  10. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

100%. Unless you enjoy wounding deer, or at best having the discipline to sit in the stand for an hour after you shoot it so you don’t kick it up and then follow the non existent blood trail to find where the deer expired. I can’t believe some states allow hunting with that cartridge, mine included.

11. Never understood the 223 for deer. Not even a bit.

12. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Me either. It’s not like 30/30, 6.5, 6.8, 308, 30-06 are more expensive guns. Ammo could be a bit harder to find, I suppose.

13. britx303

Hey, we both refrained from being idjits using 223s:D. Losing that .308 today was heartbreaking in all seriousness. Basically the 223 today was like buying that case of water so the fat Karen couldn’t get any.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    casjoker likes this.
  14. casjoker

If you know the rifle you want I have had good experiences with gunbroker.com and buds gun shop. Purchase online and ship to your local pawn shop. Also, don't overlook your local gun shop they usually can order from a central warehouse. I know it doesn't help the I need it today fix but next best option.

308 is a great choice don't overlook a 7mm-08. One of the deer killingest rounds ever.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    britx303 likes this.