1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yoshimura MJN jets

Discussion in 'Tech' started by want2race, Feb 28, 2004.

1. want2race

want2race Well-Known Member

Sometimes the quest for more hp just is. A hassle that is. If it was easy, everybody would have max hp.

It does pretty well for a 1998. 110hp at the wheel, corrected.
    With the MJN my bike did not have the usual ZX6R midrange flat spot. Instead, there was a huge bump up in the midrange. I think I'll keep it.

2. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

It's a great product.We used them on our SVs last year with great results.Have you found your problem?

3. GSXR600

GSXR600 Well-Known Member

110hp out of a 97-00 Gixxer 600.

Im hear to tell ya its either got some other mods i.e. head work, cams, etc.......or that is a very generous dyno its been run on.

I race a 2000, same bike, with every little do-dad bolt on hp maker made, plus some and it has maxed at 93hp on two different dyno's...on pump gas.

I can't see that jet kit being worth any more hp than any of the others when tuned proper. Even if it were, my guess would be 1 or 2 hp. If it were so good compared to the others it would be extremely more popular.

I run a dynojet in mine and its been simple to make adjustments on. It too gave the bike a large gulp of midrange, not much more on top.

Hope you get it running, good to see some old school gixxers still trying to kick it.

4. want2race

All of the above. Headwork, cams, complete exhaust, or so I was told anyway. And it's a ZX6R, not a Gixxer. But it is still old school. Well, it feels that way sometimes at least.

If the battery still has any juice left, I'm checking it tonight.

S

5. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

MJN kits suck I am just finishing up a bike that had one in it. It is a backwards kit for sure and it did not work good on a zx6r. mega rich on top and lean in the middle. and yes the needles are backwards.....factory pro kits...rock:)

6. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Thanks for verifing that Charlie.But then again, I never know what I'm talking about,even though we spent days on the dyno:rolleyes:

7. HFD1Motorsports

the dyno is a great tool for getting confused:)

8. fourandsix

fourandsix Well-Known Member

Actually MJN kits work quite well when set up properly. They work great on the ZX6r's. They only work "backwards" in some bikes not all. it depends on angle of carbs and bowl depth.

9. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

Maybe that is where the difference in opinion is coming from then.

I have run them on the dyno and then tuned them at the track. I have only used them in the ZX-6R's though and we picked up the needle to richen the middle.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2004
  10. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

We ran MJN kits in all our ZX-6R's and they worked great.

On our 98/99's we tried all 3 kits available - Dynojet, Factory, and the MJN kits. The MJN's worked the best. The Dynojet kit came in second.

11. want2race

My suspension came back last night. Happy!

With the help of a power converter (can use as battery charger in a pinch) I got it started.

It was stubborn though that's for sure. I ended up having to prime the pump, filter and lines before it would kick over on it's own. Don't know if that's normal, but it worked. Nothing sweeter than those first 4 coughs, indicating life.

After the water temp hit 70 degrees (up from 50), the idle started to come around and stabilize. At 110, things seemed back to normal. Throttle has good response at idle, with no "hanging rpm"

Road test on Sunday. Dyno on Monday.

12. HFD1Motorsports

The results with my testing on the zx6 would be differant..The mjn kit was 82 hp to start then Installed a Factory pro kit got the fuel right now it is 87 on pump fuel.. Not saying thay the mjn kit could not do it but I have more data on the Factory kits so that is what I used. So the mjn suxcks thing probely was a tad harsh did not mean to offend.....

13. want2race

UPDATE:

I put the stock air fiter back in it, below 6k rpm there is still a slight hesitation. I don't think it was the K&N causing the stumble.

Above 7k, it rips. I even dropped a tooth on the rear and the acceleration still feels better than before. The front tire dances going into 3rd. It hasn't done that at this elevation before.

Tomorrow I'm going to put in pump gas. I've been using some VP that I had left over from November. If there is no change from that, I'll adjust the needles one notch. Come to think of it, this stumble might just be the gas. Prior to using it at the track, the bike was fine on pump gas. I switched to VP at the track, maybe the "stumble" started then, but being on track I never cruise at mid-rpm. I'm gonna laugh if pump gas clears up the hesitation. Oh well, good excuse to pull of the carbs and learn about them if that's the case. It still needed to be rejetted for this elevation.

Dyno trip tomorrow.

14. want2race

Last episode of this saga.

Jetting is cured. Butter smooth from 2k through rev limiter.

I decided to skip the dyno sessions. I can use the money for race gas.

Oh, I also decided to skip running it on pump gas. Mostly since I couldn't get the siphon tube into the gas tank of my wifes truck. All my gas cans are full of either premix or VP, and I wasn't going to load the bike and drive for an hour just to "try some pump gas."

First I raised the needles. If it was a lean stumble, this would have fixed it. Plus, if it was a lean stumble I didn't want to make it leaner. Err on the cautious side on that one. Raising the needles made it worse, and it popped like crazy on decealeration (too rich).

Then I lowered the needles, one lower than the original middle position. That cured the hesitation right up. Super smooth from 2k all the way up to 7k rpm, then it fell flat on it's face. It was leaning out on the top end, NOT GOOD. I tried a 6th gear roll on with similar results, just no power passed 6k or so.

Back to the garage. Going to put the needles back the middle notch. Got the second one done when I looked at the vacuum line going to carbs. Huh? I didn't take that off this time. Which meant, I didn't put it back ON for the last test I just ran. Yeah, that might make it run lean on the top end. Just maybe (much sarcasm here).

So I put the needles back the lower position as the previous test, HOOKED up the vacuum line (oh that's what the does) and retested.

Perfect. Stock filter and race gas. Next test will be K&N and race gas to see if effects the jetting at all.

At least the bike is ready for racing this weekend. Can't wait.