1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

yellow jackets in garge wall. need poisen

Discussion in 'General' started by zippytech, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Most people wouldn't care until they are in the house anyways.

Only dealt with them in the ground a few times. But per our licenses, we were only "allowed" to do treatments 10' away from the house. Had one where the home owner, highly allergic, had them in his soffit. 1st tech didn't do hardly anything to kill them. Home owner then was up on a ladder working on the soffit and they came out right at him. Didn't get stung but fell off the ladder. When I got there, he was pretty irate. Said don't worry about damaging the soffit, he wants to replace them anyways. I spent 2 hours peeling the wood away, contact killing the nest, scraping the nest out into a garbage bag all while being "attacked". Nothing is more comical than looking at yellow jackets trying to sting you through the mesh on the helmet. Got that done and noticed some more yj's flying into a hole. Took my bee sprayer pole and pumped a bunch of dust into it. Freaking at least a 1000 or more came out like a missile. I took off running while STILL wearing the bee suit.:crackup:15 min later went back to the truck and got the paperwork filled out and went to get a signature. Guy said watching me take off running with a small swarm in tow was good for a laugh. Week later he called the office and was quite happy with me getting rid of them. Too bad the 1st guy didn't really care. It was a problem with the Orkin branch I worked at. Some techs just walked around with a flashlight and squirted a couple times to "do something". No idea if its still that way at that branch. Don't miss the place. Got burnt out from m-f 6am-9pm with an hour drive each way and the constant back stabbing from the managers and office people.

Pest control isn't a bad gig. Just need to find a good company with a family enviorment.

Steeltoe and BigBird like this.
  2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Call this dude.

upload_2017-10-9_21-18-43.png

3. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

I had them a couple of years ago in my siding and some where getting into my house. I tried a few different sprays but I wasn't able to get close enough to get enough in the nest. I ended up getting some PVC pipe that would connect to my shop vac and put it at the entrance to the nest. I vacuumed them for a couple of days and then vacuumed up some soapy water to kill them. I finished the nest off with some of the foaming wasp/yellow jacket killer. My five gallon shop vac had 3 inches of dead yellow jackets at the bottom of it!

4. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

well so far this morning the shop vac and sprec pro did it, I don't' see any.

5. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Living on the Island of Misfit Toys

You are SO ghey!!!! :rolleyes:

6. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Last I heard he moved to Canada with a new show that apparently flopped.

7. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I was just out mowing up leaves and ran into a ground nest I didn't know was there.
    One managed to sting me inside my nostril.
    They shall all die before the sun rises again.
    Bastids.

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Make sure to use

[​IMG]

9. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

There may have been drugs involved, not sure.

10. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

There's always drugs involved, either too many or not enough.

11. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

It was a cool show even though they never used gasoline or brake cleaner. "We're using all natural pyrethrin, made from the crushed petals of the blah blah blah".
    Still satisfying to see wasps killed in any way.

12. BigBird

BigBird blah

so have some hornets terrorizing my wife. they are in the front entryway ... what the best recommendation to spray? also what to use for around the perimeter to prevent ants/termites ,etc away.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Delta dust at and in the entrance. It'll kill them all in about 48 hours.

peakpowersports and BigBird like this.
  14. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Termidor for the termite treatment but if you want an effective treatment it will take some work trenching and lots of mixed chemical.

BigBird likes this.
  15. Phl218

Phl218 .

I had an orkin guy check out our house. He said:
    Ants kill termites.
    We have tons of ants in the yard.
    A 5 year plan is 3 grand.

i said no thanks. I have ants

Last edited: Jul 18, 2023
    TurboBlew and BigBird like this.
  16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

For your hornets, this stuff is lots of fun - https://www.lowes.com/pd/Spectracide/5013728261

It will knock them out of the sky mid-flight if you hit them. Spray up the nest and you'll end up with a pile of dead hornet carcasses in seconds.

17. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Yep. It's all I use on wasps now. It is instant death

bigkaley and Phl218 like this.
  18. Norton 357

Norton 357 Well-Known Member

Granular Bifenthrin spread all around the perimeter will kill anything that crawls. I use it a couple of times a year around my house and don't have any ants or roaches.

BigBird likes this.
  19. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

For what its worth, last weekend I got rid of a hornets nest about the size of a basketball under my deck, situated between the joists. We get 2-3 of them every year. I crept up (think Bill Murry in Caddy Shack crawling up to the gopher hole) until I was maybe 15' away, sprayed and covered the nest (with a little extra around the entrance), and slowly moved away. This was around noontime and by 7pm, no visible activity. Next day, nest was dead, victory declared, and no casualties on my side. I used the same stuff last year on another above ground hornets nest and an underground nest with similar results.

https://www.amazon.com/Bonide-Reven...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

BigBird likes this.
  20. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

^^^ This. I pump a bit in my soffits when I see anything coming and going and boom they are gone. Have not seen anything come back where I used it last spring - just spots I did not treat.

If its going into a dry area, use Tempo Dust - it works better than Delta but the Delta dust resists moisture.