1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

YEC driver issue?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by A.R.K., May 5, 2016.

1. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Plugging the laptop into the bike the YEC ECU comes up as a unknown device. Reloading the software hasn't helped, 3 different laptops, good continuity from data plug to ecu plug... The instruction pdf has the name of the driver but I cant find it on the disc, not sure what to do. Everything worked fine last year.
    08 R6
    YEC ECU with kit harness
    laptop running windows 7
    data cable from RM racing (not the yec cable)

Any tips would be appreciated.

2. rhouck

rhouck wat?

3. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

You really need to make sure your com port is set up on your computer as well, we chased this for two days.............

4. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

I'll have a bit to learn on the pc com port thing. If I go into the program it will not auto select a port.

Thanks for the driver link, another thing to try.

5. rhouck

rhouck wat?

6. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Tried that with searching the disc just says windows can't find a better driver. but I search the hole pc and disc for KITUSB_CDM 20828 and nothing comes up. Still messing with it, hopefully something makes sense soon lol.

7. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

lol so I just loaded the CDM v2.12.00 with the laptop plugged in and ecu on and it connected. Totally lost but working at the moment lol.

8. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Loaded a map, disconnected everything, restarted the pc, ran the bike and doesn't connect again :(

9. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You need to look in device manager and see which port the bridge has selected, then select that in the YEC application.

10. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

ekraft84 likes this.
  11. Gecko

Gecko Well-Known Member

I had this exact same issue this past race weekend. Went to help a fellow racer with his YEC ecu, plugged the laptop into the bike the YEC data cable comes up as a unknown device. Tried it on my R6, same thing. Like the OP, everything worked fine on mine last year. Tried to reload the drivers from the original YEC disk, and got nothing.

YEC ECU & kit harness
    YEC data cable
    Laptop running Windows 7

Sadly, wasn't able to figure it out and help the fellow racer. I'm wondering if one of the Windows 7 updates since last year changed something that affects the data cable driver. Didn't have access to the internet at the track so I couldn't search for any updated driver. So, is the CDM v2.12.00 driver the proper driver software needed to run the data cable in the Windows 7 environment?

12. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking it's the cable or ecu now. I had it working for a bit and it disconnected while reading a map from the ecu. I figured out the port with the link above thanks. Com 6 is being used by the yec program. Used a different laptop with XP this time.

2 pics one is when I got it to work. Next is after disconnecting, running the bike and restart of the laptop. Seems very intermittent.

Attached Files:

13. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not to try to defer blame from the cable I sold you, but if it worked once and then didn't it's very likely not the cable itself. If you disconnect while in read or write, you will have to restart the PC and it's possible you will encounter ECU errors.

14. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

By disconnecting while it was loading I meant the ecu/cord went from being com port 3/usb serial port to unknown device while it was reading from the ecu. It's really strange. I had it working last night after reloading the FTDI drivers. I could plug and unplug the cord and it would show up on the device manager each time just fine. Restarted the laptop a couple times, run the bike a couple times... thought I had it. Hook up this morning and it's a unknown device again... The guys at Apex Manufacturing are going to loan me a YEC cable tomorrow for troubleshooting. I've learned a bunch with the tips here but still don't know if its a ecu, laptop or cord issue. The info is much appreciated!

15. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

There is probably a thousand poison tipped arrows pointing at Microsuck right now. I've never had a cable or ECU issue, just windoze crap. But maybe your USB port is hammered, I assume you tried others that are available. I have a dedicated WinXP laptop I use for outdated crap ass software just because of reasons like this. The dumbbox gets no internet, no updates, and has ZERO issues.

16. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Same. I have a Windows laptop that's a bare bones box I only use for ECU stuff. It works and I don't mess with it. No anything else on it so it doesn't get internet AIDS and waste 9 hours updating everytime I turn it on.

17. And then you need a seperate Windows xp computer that can sort of half way connect to the Internet if you set up the aluminum foil right to run any of the techno research boxes to do diagnostics for the 800 million codes on an 1199 or some other rigatoni maker. Then that program has to update by some kid in Bangladesh running a Remote Desktop and pushing it through manually. All while the customer is staring at you wondering why you can't reset his oil light in less than 3 hours.

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  18. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

I borrowed a YEC cable from Apex Manufacturing (thanks Richard) and loaded the drivers just like the pdf says and it's working fine (knock wood). My cable doesn't show up now when I plug it in. But after doing all this stuff on the XP laptop it's having issues (explorer.exe IIRC) so I'm sure its a Windoze thing.

What about one of the other OS for a dedicated laptop for ecu and gps lap data type stuff?

19. Focker

Focker Well-Known Member

I've had those kind of weird computer problems before that turned out to be that I needed to have the laptop plugged in, not running on battery, even if it was fully charged.

20. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

A lot of that is "power management" related, and can be addressed by going through all the power settings related to USB and setting them to the same as 'when on AC power'