1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Yamabond 4 or Hondabond 4?

Discussion in 'General' started by Robin172, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Has anyone any experience of using Hondabond 4 vs Yamabond 4?

I've always used Yamabond 4 on the crankcases of my bike and on the cylinder base gasket but I can't get any locally and I need it this weekend. I can get the Hondabond 4 from the local stealership.

I really like the Yamaha stuff it works perfectly for my purposes, is the Honda product as good, better or not as good?

The bike in questions is a 250 Ducati, wet sump, vertically split cases.

2. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

Seems like the same shit, just a different label.

3. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Use lots of hondabond 4 and it's great.. but permatex rtv from the autoparts works as good if not better and is cheaper. The one thing I don't like about the hondabond is its grey and shows more on the modern black sportbike engines than the black permatex stuff.

4. joec

joec brace yourself

Wait, you're using yamabond on a ducati??!! Ducatibond man!

Fwiw, they both have worked the same for me.

5. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

6. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I put a set of cases together dry once, just because I knew the fate of the engine and I was curious. They didn't leak.

For me, the biggest thing is to use something that isn't too heavy and can go on very thin. I'm far more concerned about blocking an oil galley with some spooge than I am about the case halves leaking.

7. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Permatex Moto Seal
    Available at most auto parts stores. Looks and works just like Yamabond.

8. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I have used both the Honda and Yamaha stuff and seen little to no difference. All I know is OEM gasket prices are ridiculous and I am starting to wonder if I can just use some Honda/Yamabond in place of them on things like case covers and whatnot. Sick of $30 paper cover gaskets lol.

9. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

I ran out of Yamabond 4 and had trouble finding it. I bought Threebond 1184. It's a bit different. Goes on more of a liquid but thickens up within a minute or two.

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Sometimes those gaskets make up clearances.. without them things may touch so be careful.

11. backbone

backbone scarred for life

What was the old blood red looking stuff? It looked like you had left dried blood on the engine case if you got it outside. lol
    I loved it but can't for the life of me remember what the hell it was.
    I've been using Threebond 1157 for years which is like

12. Pepsi Drinker

Pepsi Drinker Well-Known Member

Doesn't threebond make Honda kawi, yama, suzi bond?

I have both 1157 and 1184 threebond and use it on everything

13. daveknievel

daveknievel I love orange kool-aid

I use 1211 on everything from carb bowls to cases.

14. vince224

vince224 Well-Known Member

yamabond 6B.

give the 4 to your competitors. ;)

vince
    :D

15. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Hondabond HT. You can get it at the Honda automobile parts counter

16. TakeItApart

TakeItApart Oops!

I pretty much just use this stuff for everything. You know those little plastic clips that hold the window glass to the regulator? I had a salesman who was too cheap to buy an OEM merc window with the clips already epoxied in place so he bought a rock auto window without the clips. I took off the old clips, cleaned out all of the pieces of broken glass, then used the FIPG 103 to adhere the clips to the new glass. Five years in, they were still stuck!

I also did a manual can chain tensioner on my 675, complete with new case gasket. I felt my foot getting slippery during a track day and looked down to see an oily mist accumulated on my boot. I took off the case cover, brake cleaned the surfaces, threw out the gasket and applied the 103. The next session in, the case and my boot were bone dry. That was around five years ago, and it's still dry.

Edit: I just remembered using it on my floating handguard screws on the AR15 as loc-tite too. Still tight! :crackup:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  17. chwolfe

chwolfe Well-Known Member

That sounds like Loctite 518.

18. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

^ Probably 518. The anaerobic sealers were all I ever used on Jetski cases (and other machines). Never had an issue over 20+ years. Good stuff, lasts a long time, easy to clean from mating surfaces.

19. 600k2

600k2 Well-Known Member

Anaerobic gasket maker?

I got beat by a long shot on that reply.

[​IMG]

20. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

What do you use to clean it off mating surfaces? I used to use it in place of head gaskets on pitbikes as it was the only thing that would keep them from misting or blowing oil all over the place when built up. I would also source a new cylinder and head casting when it came time to separate the two as that stuff didn't come off short of re-machining the surfaces...