1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

www.roadracingworld.com

Discussion in 'General' started by iomTT, Jun 13, 2015.

1. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

Yeah, I think you're right. But when I was a teenage racer in the '70s watching Harry Klinzmann with his dad or David Emde with his dad at the races, I knew I was missing out on something special. On the plus side they both let me hang out with them and their dads and I had fun doing that!

2. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

3. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

This^^^

I didn't start racing until I was in my 40s and my dad just couldn't bring himself to watch me.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

True - and she was there for B before and after the races, it was just while he was on track she couldn't watch :D

I freely admit I wish my dad had been into and taken me racing.

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Racing with my dad is how I got into it and a big reason of why I'm still doing it ..

6. Scout

Scout Well-Known Member

Hey Eddie,

Racing with YOUR dad is how Jan & I got into it too :).

Of course, that was 20 years ago. Joe on a Hawk while Jan & I shared an EX-500, but what the hell it worked at the time! Best part, we're all still at it now :up:. Say yo to pops....

Wes

7. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

I still remember coming to the track and all you guys lined up together in the lower paddock. Good times. :up:

8. Scuba Steve

Scuba Steve Wheelchair Pimp

Seen way to many moto parents yell at the kids, I had to say something to a friend of mine 6 months ago about the way he talked to his 7 year old son after a race. He was kinda shocked at first but did thank me later on.

I was very lucky, my parents supported my racing since I was a kid in MX. Mom kinda forced me off a MX bike at 20 because of injuries. I remember my dad and I sleeping in truck out front of gates at tracks waiting for them to open while my mom took my bro to soccer tournaments. Some of my best memories are roughing it at tracks

I was never allowed to have a sportbike at home so the day after I bought my house at 21 I bought a R1. Realized the street was to dangerous and started doing track days which led me back to racing. My parents attended every race I did, flying to Wisc even. Mom liked RR alot more than MX for some reason.

To this day the still attend some of my wheelchair rugby tournaments and i'm 37 years old..lol

I have the best family in the world. I realized it even more after breaking my neck racing 10 years ago.