1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK in the states...

Discussion in 'General' started by SundaySocial, Nov 25, 2016.

1. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Why not something on the east bank of the Mississippi ? Laguna Seca is muy lejos y muy caro !

Why not Road America ? Indy ? Road Atlanta ? VIR ? Whats wrong with these people ? There are PLENTY of enthusiasts that would attend if it was within 500 miles, especially if you could camp at the facility !

WSBK is a much more relaxed atmosphere, and very comparable as far as the level of competition.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

First step would be FIM approval of the track for that level of racing. VIR is too narrow and not enough runoff in certain areas, Road Atlanta has runoff issues and probably curbing, Indy wont pay for it, Road America is probably the same but could have track issues as well.

sbk1198 likes this.
  3. sbk1198

sbk1198 Well-Known Member

^Yep. From what I've heard Road America used to be FIM approved, but I doubt it is now. Probably not quite enough runoff area for WSBK standards in a couple of areas, and the facilities are not really up to par. They don't have enough garages and they're not by pitlane. They're like 50 yards away across the paddock and you have to go around.

4. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

MotoGP at Road America would be awesome, but it will never happen.

5. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

I see the USA is the only one without a signed contract. Yay!

7. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

They are scared the local wera experts will enter and beat everyone

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

V5 Racer and Gorilla George like this.
  8. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

One of the big track safety issues at Road America is/was that the runoff outside of turn 1 can't be expanded onnacounta a cliff and a county road, below.

9. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

That's funny!

10. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

:stupid:

You can't keep up with Rea on motogp equipment lately. :D

11. OldSchlPunk

OldSchlPunk Well-Known Member

Road America's biggest holdup is length. There was a suggestion at one time that they could get a race if they shortened the track by adding a section from the Sargento Bridge (turn 4) over the hill to the SnapOn Bridge (turn 9, entrance to The Carousel), then run counter back to turn 5, at which point you'd turn left (current turn 5 runout back to the paddock) over to turn 13, where you'd turn right to continue back to start/finish. Cost at the time was estimated to be over $3M iirc. Then there was no guarantee as DORNA had concerns about accommodations in the area.

Turn 1's runoff could be expanded as the county road is at least 150 yards away. Cost would be the biggest problem.

12. sbk1198

What's wrong with the length? Lap times would be around 2:10 most likely for those guys. There are other tracks they've raced on that are pretty close to that, such as Sepang, COTA (for GP), Silverstone, and I think way back in the day they might've even raced at Spa. All those are over 2:00 lap times.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Way back in the day isn't now. Laptimes aren't the issue, number of laps for a full race could be since they base the race on total length. Too few laps always gets people freaked out - look at the ones who bitch here about 6 at Road Atlanta or Barber even though both are still longer than 10 at Talladega....

14. sbk1198

Dry races this year ranged from 88 to 97 km, and they ranged from 33 to 39 minutes in length. Least number of laps was Sepang with 16. At Road America, having 15 laps would put it right on par with most of those. So I don't see what the problem is there. Don't think anyone would bitch about 1 less lap. Who cares how many laps you do anyway, what matters is the overall time and length.

I highly doubt lap length is why WSBK won't go to Road America any time soon. There are other reasons much more important that were mentioned before.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I've often wondered why Barber didn't aim for WSBK/MotoGP standards? I don't believe it was ever a goal.

16. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

It's not long enough, I believe there is a plane to extend the track though, but I don't think they ever went anywhere with it yet.
    It would help with Indy cars etc too
    But barber is actually fim certified or atleast it was.

17. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I wish both series ran shorter tracks tbh. More action.

18. joec

joec brace yourself

Jersey would have been the way to go.

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

Sachsenring is the same length as Barber, Valencia is a 2/10th mile longer. No garages at Barber is more of an issue plus the runoff in a couple of places might not be sufficient.

20. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

4 laps at wera west rounds is kinda weak.

motion likes this.