1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK Donnington Park (spoilers)

Discussion in 'General' started by StanTheMan, May 27, 2017.

1. StanTheMan

StanTheMan Well-Known Member

Didn't see a thread about this weekend's WSBK at Donnington. Amazing race by Sykes, and an uncharacteristic crash by Rea tightened up the standings ever so slightly. Another unforced error by Davies, but a great re-mount to get back to 9th position. When Sykes passed Rea with 5 to go, he really dropped the hammer and pulled away quickly. That's now 9 victories in a row for Sykes at Donnington, a new WSBK record. Great race, and they had an awesome memorial/moment of silence for Nicky.

VFR#52 likes this.
  2. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Very good race. Can't wait to watch the SSK1000 and see how wyman does.

StanTheMan likes this.
  3. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

any news on Rea's problems? his pace went tumbling down after Sykes passed him and he gave a good look at his rear tire after he literally went tumbling down the gravel trap.

4. He crashed :)

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  5. My buddy said his rear tire let go, either went flat or catastrophic failure.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

He's out. Concussed...

Screen Shot 2017-05-27 at 1.50.28 PM.png

turbulence likes this.
  7. turbulence

turbulence Well-Known Member

Well shit :(

8. 418

418 Expert #59

Yeah Rea had a tire issue.

9. 418

418 Expert #59

Sucks for Bieber.

5axis and caferace like this.
  10. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Yep, if you slo-mo Reas crash, the tire went flat when he banked it over. You can see it flopping around on the rim while the bike is in the air before it makes it's first touchdown. Scary stuff!

Ra.Ge. Raptor likes this.
  11. caferace

caferace No.

We gotcher back, @KWyman133 . Hang out and enjoy. You'll get another chance.

-jim

12. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

Awesome race 1. Haslam killed it and Sykes was unreal fast. Bummed for Rea but shit happens.

13. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

Sorry, it's been a sh*t week. I thought Chaz did well to finish in 8th after crashing out of the lead and re-entering in 18th(?) place. Johnny Rea still enjoys a 50 point lead in the championship. He's going to have to have a lot more bad ju-ju to tighten this up.

14. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

Good race.

Lowes' and Sykes' post-race Parc Ferme interview mentions of Nicky actually got me a bit choked-up.

15. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If I remember reading correctly somewhere, the riders are all contractually (or used to be maybe) to not badmouth the Pirelli tires.

16. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

There's a 16 minute video on the WSBK site where they talk to several riders, well worth watching. I don't know if you need the video pass to see it.

17. Just watched it in slow mo. Ouch.

18. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

19. KWyman133

KWyman133 Well-Known Member

Thank you guys for having my back. The team was stoked Friday, coming in a half second off my teammates. I was very surprised with how different the tires were, very difficult transition. Kawi was pretty good, very angry bike, LOL. Donington is an amazing track.

Bummed I didn't get a real shot at Day 2, but the next time I come back I'll have a much better idea of what to expect. And I most certainly will be back.

See y'all at Road America.

20. 418

418 Expert #59

PJ Jacobsen DNS?