1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK | 2023 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by koth442, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Used2befast

Used2befast Well-Known Member

Stanboli thinks GG took a beating after the incident with Toprak and Rea. Got in his head...I'd recommend him coming back to US to decompress and win. GRT is not the team that's gonna move him up. Armchair opinion of course

2. Skter505

Skter505 Well-Known Member

I think that's everyone's opinion and obvious at this point. They absolutely demoralized him and he's no longer fun to watch. I really hope he can get to a different team and get his fire back.

Gixxerguy855, koth442 and Senna like this.
  3. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

Agreed. I saw him roll off a pass when a HRC rider from last year blew their line. He had the space and the time to execute a clean race pass. He knew he did too, but he chickened out the moment that CBR-RRRRR was pointed back at the race line. It was *painful* to watch.

If he comes back stateside, he'll never move back to the world stage. If he was a direct swap with Gagne, he'd probably win MA SBK championship just like Gagne. Probably run away with it too. It would be boring to watch, he'd still be under performing, and it would take away a seat from an up-and-comer on their way to the world stage. I *really* don't want him back in MA next year.

hotnail and Senna like this.
  4. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

There was a surprisingly large crowd waiting for him after qualifying. Even he seemed surprised. Hopefully that helps his mental game. Definitely did better that whole weekend.

5. prm

prm Well-Known Member

If he goes to Bonovo he’ll be working with Eugene Laverty. I don’t know much about him as a trainer but hopefully he could free GG of his first turn and passing demons.

6. evomach

evomach Well-Known Member

Kind of funny as Laverty was the first one to unload on Gerloff after his very first of first turn incidents

7. koth442

Wasn't that Sykes? I remember the incident, bumped one of the BMWs and sent it into the second BMW and they both went down. Bowling for BMW's...

8. evomach

evomach Well-Known Member

Yes. Sykes also complained.

koth442 likes this.
  9. 418

418 Expert #59

From BT Sports broadcast....

GG taking Laverty's seat.

Gangne taking GG's seat.

So two Americans on the grid?

Also it is rumored that Michael Ruben Rinaldi can't sign his contract until the end of MA season as Petrucci has it written in that if he wins the MA championship he's guaranteed a spot in WSBK.

So if there is any justice in the world, the guy that wins the MA SBK championship is going to WSBK.

10. koth442

Those rumors are getting quite persistent. Hopefully some of them will quit being rumors soon?

Time to start a MA silly season thread and take guesses on who's taking Jake's seat?

11. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Rocco

TLR67 likes this.
  12. 418

418 Expert #59

I think Scholtz needs to get a shot and put Josh Hayes on the Westby bike.

Or Riche Escalate. He's been coming along pretty good on the Zuk.

Senna likes this.
  13. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Wow that’s awesome, I’m happy he has an offer away from Yamaha and hope this helps his mental game.

Wow awesome too.

I picked the wrong week to quit smoking crack!!!! I’m missing everything. Lolol

Last edited: Aug 7, 2022
    SuddenBraking likes this.
  14. dieterly

dieterly Well-Known Member

Cam coming back?

15. koth442

I was wondering that too. I don't think Cam is having a whole lot of fun crashing every other race. On the flip side, I don't think we have anyone else worth sending to Moto2 to replace him. Once (if) he gets his shit sorted, he'll be a force to be reckoned with.

Maybe bring SDK back and let him practice on a superbike before going back to Moto2?? haha

16. koth442

While Scholtz would definitely excel on the Attack bike, he has such a good relationship with Westby I doubt he'll leave unless it was for the world stage. Plus I don't want to see two non-Americans on both top Yamahas.

17. prm

prm Well-Known Member

SDK? I don’t think the US racing prepares a rider for Moto2.

18. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Correction. Superbike riders have shown plenty of promise.

19. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Not in Moto2. Cam being the only example, I would say he has struggled. Showing some occasional signs of race pace promise, but that’s a result of riding a Moto2 bike a lot, not from his superbike background. After dominating MA SB, a year and a half on a Moto2 bike and he still doesn't (very rarely) have great qualifying pace and he has crashed out of half the races. It seems US riders will only excel in Moto2 in spite of their background, not because of their background. I wish I better understood just how differently that bike needs to be ridden.

Senna and hotnail like this.
  20. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

First off, cut SDK some slack. He’s what 19?! Give him some time to learn, and he’ll fine… Last thing we want is him crashing his brains out an loose his understand of the Moto2 bike. Give him time to grow.

Regarding Cam, I’d rather see him consistently show potential than play it safe and finish mid-teens each round. Hopefully American Racing can step up from the mid-tier or Cam finds a ride with a higher level team the values experienced riders.