1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WSBK | 2023 | Silly Season

Discussion in 'General' started by koth442, Jul 30, 2022.

1. koth442

koth442 Well-Known Member

I hope GG goes to Bonovo of the two of them.

Gagne to back fill GG would be cool.

prm likes this.
  2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Nah man, coming back would totally suck.

3. prm

prm Well-Known Member

No idea whether a Kawi or the BMW are a better bike, but I do think BMW is trying to improve. Don’t want to take too much away from Redding’s performance on one weekend. His home track and the podium had some weather play a role. I don’t see Kawi making any major jumps. I hope its BMW. On Greg’s Garage pod they implied a deal (and crew chief) is done, but did not elaborate. I’ll throw my guess out and say it’s BMW and Les Pearson.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
  4. koth442

IIRC BMW is throwing money at the program. Word on the street is that's a major reason why SR45 went to BMW, the bike is actively being developed and they pay well. Both things could be good for GG. He won't win a world championship there, and that's okay. GG is on the wrong side of 25 and honestly needs to keep retirement in the back of his mind. I doubt he'll stay in WSBK until he's 35+ and there's little to no money in MA.

5. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

henry_carlson likes this.
  6. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

yes he did imply heavily that it was done and he was moving away from Yamaha. I always get a kick out of Greg speaking so definitively then walking it back saying its not finalized yet.

however on the paddock pass pod charlie jorno said he spoke with someone at most who knows these things (don't remember the exact wording) that it was the kawi and not bmw.

MyWayGuy, prm and kirk erlinger like this.
  7. koth442

Chino52405 and cpettit like this.
  8. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Ever since Assen last year, I have been saying that Kawasaki needs to scoop up Gerloff. Going to Puccetti with the same factory support they had when Toprak rode for them, could be a stepping stone into the Kawasaki family and then Rea can mentor him with an eventual move to the same garage with Rea before Rea retires. Kawasaki needs a future for when Rea retires, Lowes is not it. Extending Lowe's contract one year could also coincide with eventually getting Gerloff into the factory team. The whole point is that Gerloff could greatly benefit from someone like Rea as a mentor. Imagine what he could learn from Rea and the confidence that Rea could give him. And eventually maybe having Riba as your crew chief. The only problem is that Gerloff would have to make an impact pretty quick. Rea's spot in the garage with all the same players, should be a huge future target for a young rider. They don't have the best bike, but I'm convinced they have the best team in the paddock.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2022
    418, kirk erlinger and hotnail like this.
  9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Problem is, as someone else pointed out, he's on the wrong side of 25. I do agree with you that it would be awesome for him and I think it could be beneficial for Kawi. But hard to say how Kawi would feel about his age.

hotnail and koth442 like this.
  10. prm

prm Well-Known Member

GG is a youngster compared to Sykes though!

11. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

Rea was 28 when he signed with Kawi and proceeded to win the championship for them...

Namarow likes this.
  12. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

i believe that is more of an issue at Yamaha, they have that whole pipeline family thing and age is being bandied about as a reason that Dommi isnt getting a wsbk shot.

13. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Results are a much bigger issue than age will be for some time to come. Besides, plenty of riders have raced WSBK well into there 30's.... Hell Rea is what 35 and Alvaro 38 I believe.

14. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

Like I said, totally agree that it could be a mutually beneficial move. Just not sure others would see it the same way. And Rea had already proven himself by that point and went straight into the factory team. He didn't need to be developed. Not sure the same could be said for Garrett. The common phrase we keep hearing from across the pond is "untapped potential." But tapping said potential still takes time and could be a risk investing in a rider still needing development at his age. Investing in potential is better value proposition for someone who is 21. Either that or an older rider that's already proven himself.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

His racing a Kawasaki solves a few small issues Kawasaki has in the US biggest being their lack of involvement with MA and US racing.

they get him, even on a support team is cheaper than help develop the bike for the US (at least) or fielding a team (expensive and a dated way of racing in the US).

then Yamaha can bring over Gagne. :)

more ‘mericans on the world stage is a win. :)

henry_carlson likes this.
  16. MyWayGuy

MyWayGuy Well-Known Member

Paddock Pass has GG going to either Bonovo, Puccetti or HRC (long shot, imo) and Gagne potential replacing GG at GRT.

17. koth442

If senior factory riders are mentoring their satellite counter parts then Toprak should be mentoring GG. On the BMW side, SR45 is a damned talented rider and could also provide mentorship. However, I do see the point that Kawi is suffering hard. If they didn't have Rea, they wouldn't be relevant. Ducati and Yamaha both have their next best rider or two in the top 10 consistently. BMW and Honda have their riders more consistently placed, albeit further back. I don't even know where the next Kawi usually finishes. Not counting the one Alex put into the gravel trap...

So having thought out loud a little bit, I could see Kawi being interested in GG, and I could see them investing in him. I could see how that could be a good move.

I think my new opinion is GG should go wherever he's offered a 2 year contract. Assuming someone is willing to offer him a 2 year contract.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

All right, I'm yielding to the rumors. BMW it is for GG. Aegerter as replacement, not teammate.

SuddenBraking and henry_carlson like this.
  19. Senna

Senna Well-Known Member

Paddock Pass (I think) was saying that if he went to Puccetti, it may be as a Kawi-signed rider and they may try to build him up as a replacement for Rea.

20. koth442

That would be cool, and ideal.

However, I stand by my other comment, GG should go where he's offered a 2 year contract. That would tell me that org is the most serious about developing him.