1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing a racer resume...?

Discussion in 'General' started by kanatuna, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Tip of the Day: One Page.

2. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

:up:

3. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

That's what Ty's is. I've had friends, that supposedly know, tell me to make it multiple pages. I've resisted, since I know when I look through employee resumes, I prefer one page resumes.

A few years ago at the IMS show, Bruce from Arai said my son's resume was perfect....only one page....didn't really matter, we didn't get Arai sponsorship. :)

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Yet being operative ....sometimes the timing is not right, so you keep trying especially if you really want to use a particular product, in our case we bought Arai helmets before Matt ever got an Arai sponsorship, because I thought they were the Best and still do.

2nd Tip of the Day:
    You have to consistantly keep your profiles up to date, watching photos for proper logos of existing sponsors and sometimes you will have to photoshop out conflicting sponsors logos on old pix...just say'n, it don't do a present sponsor any good if you got pix on your site of you wearing another companies gear....or another parts manufactures stickers all over the bodywork.

You have to set yourself apart from all the other Whores With Helmets asking for Everything and Giving Little in Return...Lose the GimmeShit GimmeShit..and develop a Partnership Approach.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Also just bombing everyone in the industry with a resume doesn't do much. Meeting the people if you can, press releases after each event thanking any current sponsors, things like that matter a lot in such a small industry.

6. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

I was thinking about this on the way into work this morning. Currently my boss kicks me some $ for each round and he got my decals done at a shop he uses frequently.
    I had been just sending him a little newsletter that I typed up after each race.
    This morning I thought about RRW and how there's various press releases after each race. I wondered what qualifies a press release to get published on the RRW website? Im sure no one gives a rip about my novice effort in vintage, but for the up and coming racers in A, B & C classes, when would pursuing a press release with RRW be beneficial?

7. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Thanks for all the advice and responses. I'm going to work off of some things and see what I can do.

I can make the season with very little help...I have thus far but man it would be nice to have a little help and to represent the shit out of everyone helping. lol

8. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

Your just a sticker whore, admit it :crackup:

9. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

:crackup: Hey tuna, if this is the case, I just can just adopt you on my team and let you run all my sponsors' stickers :D

10. kanatuna

You pay my race entries and that big ass head of yours will be all over the sides of my van/bike/on the back of my suit and on my profile/entry forms. lmfao:up:

11. Razorboy

Razorboy ZAG Racing LLC

Tip 2

If it is more than one page - make them interesting

:)

12. Held USA

Held USA Active Member

Let me give you some pointers - I have a stack on my desk right now.

#1) Keep it simple 1 or 2 pages. I don't care that you were 8th or 9 place in a 600 Novice race back in 2004. Tell me 2 things, what you did in 2011 and most important - WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO FOR ME ! How will giving you product increase my sales to other racers.

#2 ) Address it direct to the right person. Don't do a mass e-mail that shows everyones email address. Yes, I have more than one like this. Don't send it to you from you and BCC me - looks bad on your part. If possible, get a persons name and emaill address. Don't address to - Dear sir, or whoever....

#3) If you had a sponsor in 2011 - stay in touch ! Don't wait until the end of the year and your only contact is asking for more. Thank them and ask them to continue for 2012 . If you include a picture - make damn sure their sticker and product in it. ( I have a few of these too ) No sticker ? come on, really ?

Hope this helps you all.

13. redtailracing

hmm... I like this idea. :p

14. kanatuna

Thanks for the outlook Held.

How about font size/style along with graphics....? # of pictures? Action shots, face shots or bike still shots....or a combination?

Thanks again:up:

15. Held USA

Held USA Active Member

fonts and such don't really matter much - just nothing silly

an action shot with more than one bike is usually not good
    an action shot, leaned over, showing sponsors is best

one of my favorites this year was addresed directly to the company - Bike in front of trailer, trophys, awards, and the rider. ( wearing a Held T-Shirt ):clap:

16. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I've been sidelined for two years and am essentially 'starting from scratch' for 2012. New bike, new class, depending on LRRS/CCS's mood maybe even a fresh set of Novice plates... I spent my first two years learning the ropes on non-competitive equipment so I don't have much for brass to show.

Is it worth my while trying or should I wait to see how my re-entry goes so I can put together a better looking resume with relevant and recent past results?

17. motojoe_23

motojoe_23 The Nephew

My completely useless opinion on this, since I am new to it all too.

But results are only PART of it. They help only because more people are apt to listen to you or take notice, thus you can get your sponsors name out more.

but Your ability to promote the sponsor, and detailing how you can do that means a lot more than your results IMO.

Example being I actually had a sponsor (and a pretty good one at that) with Motomummy.com, when I didnt even race. I was a trackday instructor, and he understood that my bike was used in demonstrations. I also do a lot of promoting online. He actually prefered sponsoring me more when I WASNT racing. He is not the norm, but it goes to show that results are only part of it.

18. kanatuna

I gotta find a held shirt and I will send ya something. :D

19. redtailracing

I just finished writing my first draft. I already have someone very experienced helping me with it and a couple others who have offered help but I'm always open to more constructive criticism and ideas if anyone else wants to look. And if anyone wants to see what I've done so far to get ideas of their own, I'll be glad to send you a copy of mine.

20. kanatuna

So....is it 45% complete?:Poke: