1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wr 250 r/x

Discussion in 'General' started by YamRZ350, Jul 1, 2010.

1. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

You could get 120 miles on a tank if you're light on the throttle, but the other thing to keep in mind is the fuel pump needs to be submerged in fuel to stay cool, so it isn't wise to drain the tank down. Some of the '08s have had failures, possibly related to low fuel level.

2. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

The power isn't bad! This morning I was passing cars on a 6% grade, doing an indicated 82 mph. Not bad for a 250 thumper!

3. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

I would get an R. The bone stock R is a great streetbike IMO. The stock tires (trailwings aka deathwings) are great on the pavement and the wheels are very balanced making it a very smooth very satisfying ride - you really feel like being a hooligan. You can do light duty forest service roads and such at a reduced speed with the trailwings with no issues. Avoid singletrack and deep mud at all costs with the trailwings.

I've installed full-on "real" knobbies and rim locks on my WR and its definitely not as good on-road now, but that's not what I'm using it for. I generally ride pavement to either get to the motel or to get to the next unpaved portion.

The X model can be found a little cheaper though than the R in the used market - at least that's what I observed.

4. Ryan Nelson

Ryan Nelson Well-Known Member

I did a few miles on the interstate on the little 250 and its definitely not its domain.

Around town its great.

I did the basic mods - pipe, header, fuel computer, glued flapper, ais removal, exup delete. IMO it really makes the bike a much better bike. I thought stock the on off throttle response at low rpm (like parking lot speed), was crazy jumpy. With the basic mods it will go up a hill at 45mph in 6th gear with no issue. Stock you'd need to be in 4th gear. At least that's been my experience.
    Plan on filling up every 100 miles.

If you are looking for used, they are out there but you need to look around. I drove 3.5 hrs each way to pick up my used 2008 with 865 miles on it.

5. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

at 6% grade..it wasn't the 250 but rather gravity that was going 82!

6. R6addict

R6addict shaking the minds of BBS

I thought about getting the yamaha WR250x but am going for a CRF450x with some excel rims and sticky bstone rubber. The 250's just not enough motor for me.

The 2011 CRF450x is going to be fuel injected to boot. :)

Supermotojunkie.com has been a great resource for my decision as a lot of the guys with WR250x's are selling them to get bigger bikes due to the lack of motor.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2010
  7. ADRENALINE RUSH

ADRENALINE RUSH Well-Known Member

how about both! i love my wr250x, but i use it 80%+ in the lots. but i plan on building a crf450 sm for the streets over this winter. the wr250x is great for 10-20 min local rides, but since my street bike is a 07 R1, it lags a bit for me (even though its 10+ on the rear sprocket...lol). but i think the dirt bike converted 450 will be an animal on the streets or track.

i hear the big bore kit really packs a punch on the X. and with that and a few bolt ons, it will have plenty of power and still prob cost less than building a DB conversion and getting it street titled. i no people on S.M.J. that sold there X and did a 450 conversion and said it wasnt worth it.

also best thing about the wr250x is other than stuff you would do for a regular street bike like oil changes and the basic stuff, the first major schedulaed maintnace is at 26,000 miles for a valve adjustment. the motor is basicly a 1/4 R1 motor. the X is super smooth and very very low maintnance! then on the other hand you have your converted dirts bikes, which are insanely high mantnance!!!!!...... somthing to think about.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Oops, I meant to add that was going UP the hill! Downhill she'll hit 95 or so...

9. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

We're headed off road for 1600 miles or so in Idaho over the next week and a half. Ryan will be on his modded WR250R and I'll be on my un-modded WR250R. We'll see how they do!