1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wr 250 r/x

Discussion in 'General' started by YamRZ350, Jul 1, 2010.

1. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

I'm looking at these for commuting and screwing around on.

Would you get the X (motard) or the R (duel sport)?

The R has a little more ground clearance for jumping curbs and what-not. The X seems cool, but I think tire size might be an issue, with a 140 rear? Plus, in my advanced age I might want to start exploring some fire trails and easy off road stuff.

What sayeth the beeb?

2. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

WR250 R/X

Did the OP delete his thread? Now I've lost my reponse to it because the thread is invalid. Do you realize how much time and effort I put into these posts here!? :p

Anyhow, I'm in the same boat. I will be using for both on and off road. Leaning toward the X, but not sure how big of a chance I'd be taking riding the X rotor on dirt wheels. I wish they had made the calipers/rotors/wheels more interchangeable. If it's possible, I may try to find an R and buy the SM wheels and just use the small rotor on the street.

3. YamRZ350

Sorry about the delete thing.

I'm thinking the R might be as much fun on the street with the right tires. Pirelli MT 90's or similar.

No matter what I guess I'll need to budget for a pipe, fuel controller and some airbox mods from what I'm reading. I'd like to keep it quiet, I guess I need to ride one to see how much of dog it is stock.

4. frackadelic

No worries :D Joe Morris has the R and really likes it. I still have yet to ride it, but I assume the R rotor will suffice for what I would use it for on the street. Just not sure what will come out cheaper in the end. X's list higher but seem to be selling cheaper due to lack of demand. Dirt wheels would cerntainly be cheaper than the $1k SM wheels!

5. YamRZ350

What are you planning to do about the caliper mounts?

Is Joe's bike modified, or stock? I'm kinda worried about engine performance if I need to jump on the highway.

Up here, both models are selling for about the same prices, with more R's to choose from. I'm seeing a lot more bone stock R's though.

6. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Get the dual sport version, it will go as fast as you need to on the street even though it on knobby's and its a blast to go exploring with.

7. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

I agree with Turner! I have a '10 R, and just went over 1300 miles on the odo. This is a very cool bike! The only drawback is the size of the gas tank, since I'm running it WFO all the time it sucks up the gas! My commute is 7 miles of gravel and 15 miles of pavement, and I wind up gassing up every day on the way home so I don't have to stop for gas on the way to work. It has no problem keeping up with freeway traffic!

8. frackadelic

That's a very good question. I need to find out if the dirt rotor can bolt to the SM wheel. If so, I won't do anything to the caliper. Otherwise, I guess Ill have to suck it up and switch the whole thing.

AFAIK, Joe's is not modified, but I'll ask.

Now your other thread is back, WTH is going on :D

9. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm seriously thinking of getting some motard wheels so I can run it on the track too!

10. frackadelic

Thank you Mod for combining, that was getting confusing :clap:

11. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Die in a fire. :D

12. frackadelic

Oh, I thought it was one of the real mods, Special Deputy K. If you have nothing of value to add, please refrain from posting in the thread.

:D

13. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

If my mind is working, the rotors are the same part number, and the lower left tube is the same part number.

Calipers are different part numbers, though.

14. YamRZ350

Thanks Dave, errr Prawn, whoever...

Where's that Morris guy with some more 1st hand advice?

RD Jeff, you're filling it every 44 mi.? That couldn't be right. I figured to get around 120 mi. out of a tank.

15. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Geez, I just stepped out for some lunch.

I've got a 2008 R and have been very satisfied with it. Power-wise, my bike is stock. I'm doing a big ride in Idaho this summer and feel better about reliability leaving it stock. Besides, it has enough power stock to do what I want to do with it. The only downside to the stock power that I've found is that I've had to lower the gearing a bit so 1st gear isnt' so tall in some technical singletrack. That lowers the cruising speed on the road to about 60 mph comfortably but you can go 70-75 mph for passing. I just feel like the engine is working kind of hard to sustain that speed 70+ mph.

My friend Ryan Nelson got one a few weeks ago and immediately applied the popular power mods. He can better comment on the difference that makes. But what he did tell me that piques my curiousity is that with the power mods he doesn't have to lower the gearing. That maybe worth the price of the mod's to have more cruising speed on the road.

16. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I would get the motard version and slap on some Avon Distanzas. Most mortarders are very happy with those tires on and off road. I know it comes in a 150 rear and 17" front.

I believe the tard' version will come with better brakes and suspension. More practice for real world duel sport, unless you want to take on some jumps and what not. Even still, lots of guys still get serious air with 'tard suspension and slicks.

I spoke to a few 250R owners who loved the bike, but where not too thrilled with the top speed. Probably best to keep off the highway if that works for you.

I like the size, kind of in-between a 150R and 450.

17. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

i've been in this same dilemna for the past few months.

researched the shit out of it and decided husky is the brand to get...

yesterday picked up a husqvarna te510 (dual sport dirt wheels, street legal)

also picked up some 17" motard wheels that just bolt right on.

2 (possibly 3) bikes in 1. the te is so good of a dirt bike it my just replace my yz250f....and it'll be so much fun on motard wheels at the track it may replace the r6. it will definitely replace the old dual sport ('96 dr350...though i still love that thing) for the trespassing needs.

i'm pumped and about to go riding right now.

btw, tom...i ruled out the 250 yamaha very quickly based only on power. that thing doesn't have enough top end to actually go comfortably down the road to get to the good riding spots.

18. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

FatFarthing, I came up with the same Husky as my alternate choice. I can't argue against it either. I just decided I liked my old YZ25F so much that I wanted to get as close as I could to that bike with a tag.

I think when you value FI as much as I do you narrow the options quickly.

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Depends on what you mean by "commuting". If any of it involves any kind of highway jaunts I would avoid the 250. It's motor is downright apathetic. Even with a pipe, air filter and fuel controller its only slightly less apathetic. Although they do make a turbo for it that about doubles it's HP from like 25 to maybe high 40's :D

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  20. RDJeff

RDJeff Well-Known Member

The gas tank is 2.0 gallons, and the reserve light comes on when there is .5 left. I'm getting under 50mpg, so the reserve light comes on before I get to town on the third leg, so to speak. It would probably make it, but I hate riding with that little light on!