1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy a 20+ year old vehicle as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Mar 31, 2021.

1. sanee

sanee Well-Known Member

ill take a look at this. thanks

2. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Ive got a 93 pickup. Built in in 06, its very beat up, but I still use it. I just have spares of everything. Ive destroyed a T-case, and a few differentials, but that was all due to front leaf springs sagging, and my front drive shaft was bottoming out.

Attached Files:

sanee likes this.
  3. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

The prices on them are crazy right now.. I wouldn't pay $8k for a 3rd gen unless it had a TON of stuff done. You're better off looking for them in an area where people don't know they're sitting on gold yet. One of my friends just sold his 3rd gen for around $20K... Had a lift, wheels/tires, locker, some tube bumper and stupid lights all over hit. Over 200k on the clock too. I wouldn't have paid him $5,000 for it.

..Ridiculous. Prices on everything are so stupid.. I'm in the market for a clean C6 Zo6 'Vette and people either wants $45,000 for one with 100K+ and faded interior/pain stupid graphics wheels combos. Or they want like $55-60k for a nice mint one.. Don't even get me started on C7 Zo6's..

I'm about to just order a C8 and forget about it for 12-14 months.. God damn things start at $62,000 and the one I "built" online came out to around $73k... Everyone is on drugs with these used cars.

sanee and USracer900 like this.
  4. Scott S.

Scott S. Well-Known Member

Yep. Can you imagine being way upside down in a 20 year old car if new car inventories normalize? Housing bubble on wheels. If your not bent on the Z06 Vette the base coups are out there for realistic prices. Doesn't take much to get another 35 horse out of an LS1. Bilstein sports can be had for less than 500 bucks for all four corners.

5. Trainwreck

Trainwreck I could give a heck

Yeah, I agree... I have considered some base models, but the car will mostly be a track day/RARE ice cream grabber.. So I'm mostly interested in the better trans and "dry sump" the LS7 has to offer. The Aluminum chassis for the Zo6 poses a mild annoyance for when i cage it, but it really isn't all that bad. I would consider an 08+ base model (comes with much better LS3)

I came to bikes from racing cars and the shop that sponsors me specializes in the LS/LT platform. The owner is pushing me to buy a C8 to help with a different development path. (he's doing a twin turbo build on his, for 1/4 mile and 1/2 mile events) He wants me to do some road racing/time attack stuff with one. He has a lot of connections and can get me on the C8 Zo6 list with no bullshit... However, if I'm dropping $100K, I think I'd just get a used GT3 or even a GT4.. I love the C8 and I've gotten a decent amount of laps in the shop owner's at Grattan.. But the Cayman GT4 with PDK is the greatest car I've ever driven in my whole god damn life.

Back to 20 year old cars; I think late 90's Nissan Altima's are really good cars. I had one that my ex girlfriend smashed into someone who ran a red. I brought home some porta-power jacks from a fab shop i worked at and straighten it out a bit. Ran awesome. Her parents asked me to pay them what scrap was for the car. So i went to a yard, they offered me $60 for it. I gave her parents $100 and proceeded to put some winter tires on it and bash it into more stuff for a few winter seasons. My wife (then GF) made me sell it because I had like 8-9 cars and it looked like a dirt track hobby stock. So I put it up for trade for a case of beer and I literally had to wait two whole days for someone to believe I was serious.. some high school kid convinced his parents to bring me some beer and I handed them the title.

6. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

THIS!!!
    Just made my day. It's been rather crappy...

Man, good on you! I love hearing stories like this.

sanee, Rich, Rebel635 and 1 other person like this.
  7. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

KIMG0048.JPG KIMG0049.JPG Anyone have a good supercharger for a 2003 Tacoma?

I believe this yote had one previously installed.
    It's an absolute dogbisket when trying to make it to Mammoth Mountain.
    Really lacking power.
    Understandable with the lift and tires.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  8. Big T

Big T Well-Known Member

My last minivan lasted 17 years and only 238K miles.

Looked for something a few years used, it was ridiculous what people wanted for a 3-5 year old 4runner.

Found a new 2021 Off Road for under MSRP. That dealer is moving more volume by shaving a few hundred off MSRP, rather than adding on $3-5K mark up.

9. USracer900

USracer900 Well-Known Member

Absolutely 100% check the frame. A buddy has a 99' and his rear trailing arm attachment point on the drivers side just broke in half! He said he was lucky he didn't lose it in a massive death wobble when it happened. I also have a 99' 5-speed and my frame isn't far behind his. We both need to order this frame reinforcement cap and get them welded. It's going to be a messy, fairly expensive job evidently.

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Or just buy a Jeep

11. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

I think I need to get an El Camino or a Ranchero. I want either a sbc or a the 351 in the Ford. It wouldn't be a daily driver since I don't drive anything daily since I retired, but I need something to go to the dump with, maybe haul a bike, pull the trailer or pick up some lumber. I am thinking something in the mid-eighties.

12. WillMill

WillMill CRA MN #633

Lol! That’s gotta be the most ignorant post on this thread!