1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you buy a 20+ year old vehicle as a daily driver?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Mar 31, 2021.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

A neighbor just bought a 1992 Chevy K1500 with ~125,000 miles on it. I had damn near the same truck years ago. I miss it...a lot.
    So I started looking and found several K1500s for sale. I’d like to have one again, but in the back of my mind I’d wonder how reliable it would be. I also wonder if the “nostalgia effect” would wear off quickly.
    Any of you guys daily drive a 20+ year old vehicle? Do you cross your fingers each time you drive it?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

It's a Chevy...hoping it runs is part of the ownership experience.

Nostalgia sucks and will make you do stupid shit. However they are easy to work on and parts are cheap. It's not going to be any more or less reliable than any 20 year old car with 125k on the clocks.

Once a Wanker.., SGVRider and BigBird like this.
  3. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

I drive one every day. Would recommend.

backbone and Once a Wanker.. like this.
  4. Jed

Jed mellifluous

I bought a 99 LX470 I daily. No concerns.

5. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Of course!

Oh, wait a second, I thought we were talking about women...

Gorilla George, K51000, Razr and 3 others like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

but that's a 'yota....it just finished breaking in the motor

Once a Wanker.. and Jed like this.
  7. 418

418 Expert #59

I daily a 2001 GMC Yukon 2500 that also is my tow pig.

I didn't know this was considered some sort of an achivement.

I don't really do it out of any sort of nostalgia I just refuse to pay $40,000 for a depreciating asset like a truck/SUV.

My buddy has an nice F-250. $1060 a month. It doesn't even have leather.

8. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

My sunny days daily is a '99 Miata, my rainy days / home depot daily is a 2000 F250 7.3 Powerstroke. Love them both.

t

K51000, CR750, 418 and 1 other person like this.
  9. mastermind

mastermind camping in turn 2....

ouch.

Pixelator and 418 like this.
  10. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Every time I see someone post the cost of a new truck the more I love my 15 year old outdated but paid for pick'em up.

11. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Resto-mod one.

12. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

I’d love to have a modern truck like that!

Once a Wanker.., R Acree and Razr like this.
  13. YoshiHNS

YoshiHNS Mr. Slowly

Friend is still driving our old shop truck. 97 Silverado 1500 2WD. Going on 385k miles original motor.
    Anything old is going to be cheaper to fix than anything new. As long as the bones are still intact.

Once a Wanker.. and BigBird like this.
  14. thrak410

thrak410 My member is well known

I just picked up a standard 2005 F150 with the V6 and would have no worries with it as a daily. It runs great. (16yrs old, not quite 20)

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

$40K? If you're buying used and get lucky. My neighbor just came home with an F150 FX4 with the 2.7 and the extended cab but pretty stripped otherwise. No carpet, that clothe/ fabric interior and I don't know if it's 4x4 (I imagine it is but who knows). He said he got it in just under $40K after all the usual cash back and who knows what. Good looking truck all in all and he said he wanted a truck to do truck things and didn't care about all the bells and whistles.

He said he looked at the Ranger (said it was smaller inside then his civic) and junk feeling, the Tacoma was way more $$$ and smaller and didn't look at the dodge or GM products.

Trucks are stupidly priced anymore.

As for original question: How much driving and daily use would the 20 year old vehicle be getting? I don't know, I'm stupid and like German cars and the idea of daily driving a 20 year old german car, well even I'm not that stupid. :D Maybe a 20 year old PU as a third car.

16. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Would you "buy" and would you "own" are two very different questions, though, . You know how you cared for your truck over a couple of hundred thousand miles. You usually don't how a seller did.

17. 418

418 Expert #59

And this is why I have no room to talk. Buying a 20 year old German car seems like a fine investment opportunity to me.
    It is a classic after all. :D

18. 418

418 Expert #59

I bought that thing two years ago with 209K miles. :)

HPPT likes this.
  19. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup: Nevermind.

Blammo, R Acree and 418 like this.
  20. CR750

CR750 Well-Known Member

I have a 1999 F350 7.3 power stroke. Love it, instead of investing 70K to replace we just put 15K into transmission, new injectors glow plugs, seals, suspension, shocks and rubber bits that wear.

Once a Wanker.. and racerx13 like this.