1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

World Surf League now gives equal pay

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by pfhenry, May 7, 2019.

1. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

They are definitely more graceful and flexible than men. Long distance running women are able to compete against men.

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Priapism causation. (wholesome, of course)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
  3. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

I guess so. The top 50 for the Boston Marathon only had 3 females...and 34th place was the first one.

18-39 age group

Top male time...2:07
    Top female time...2:24

As far as gymnastics, men are obviously stronger, so their events are based more on power. Females have events based more on grace/finesse. If they competed together...well, we know how that would turn out.

They can share the same sports/activity, just not the same standards.

sheepofblue likes this.
  4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Cite please. I'm not aware of any female being remotely close to running with males.

5. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It all depends on what they are being judged for. If the sport was combined and gymnasts were judged on artistic value I think women would probably win. There aren’t many sports where women are better than men. Synchronized swimming perhaps?

7. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm all for equality but i get the business aspect of it too. I watched that shit for about 5 minutes and I couldn't believe they were pro level, even my wife commented it looked like a high school basketball game. Easy layups missed, no passing, random ass shots, at least 30% air balls. I felt embarrassed watching it.

8. Pittenger5

Pittenger5 Well-Known Member

Shit, anything to keep womens surfing going strong.

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Women's beach volleyball is one where women attract a much larger audience and should be compensated appropriately.

Phl218 likes this.
  10. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Ultra endurance events are specifically what I was thinking when I said events with a more narrow gap. I’ve seen women do very well at ultra endurance cycling events as well when compared with men. Not beat the most elite men mind you, but the gap is much smaller than a domain like elite NBA vs WNBA players. Those ultra endurance events are 90% about the mental game though, so maybe the closer gap is about psychology.

RE: Gymnastics. I think what you’re seeing is a result of selection bias. Men’s gymnastics emphasize strength over tumbling and artistic movement.

11. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Don't be surprised if this has negative effects on the sport.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Absolutely.