1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work out nutballs - Sports Nutrition Bars?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Oct 4, 2021.

1. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

Quest bars, and pure protein bars are very good

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

When I was cycling in a serious way, since I'm allergic to bananas, I carried a full pack of generic Fig Newtons on my long (75+) rides.
    They are great.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I love bananas but they cause my legs to cramp up severely if I don't drink a f@ck ton of water immediately and after eating them. Opposite of the norm. :(

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

5. noles19

noles19 Well-Known Member

6. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Testosterona' Suspension...

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Clif and a banana.

Nine29, Gorilla George and SpeedyE like this.
  8. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

MetRx the brain child of Dr Scott Connelly, Lee Labrada and Bill Phillips/MM2K. GREAT product!!!! Especially for the Era. Even better when they were dusting every other batch, barely pixie dusting them w/ DBol :)

9. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

@Gorilla George probably has you covered, I didn’t read all his stuff but trust it’s sound.

For the very long distance stuff I do my body begins to reject all the synthetic stuff. I prefer to chew on a bagel that I will soften with a very small amount of water.

if this is for lacrosse maybe a bit of bagel just before the game and a few bites at halftime if she needs something to kick in the back half of the game. Chase with a little flat coca-cola for sugar.

Gorilla George likes this.
  10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

So far We're gonna grab a few MetRX variety packs, some Cliff oatmeals and some hippy high proteain/ low sugar shit from a local company.

Please, keep posting. :)

11. Bagels…good call. Bagels are loaded with complex carbs. But you’ll need to drink a lot with them.

Oatmeal before the game with some honey added to it is another option.

Fruit can give a quick boost of energy also.

If there isn’t anything like hypoglycemia to worry about, and no dietary (calorie) restrictions, and your main objective is simply fuel, it doesn’t have to be super clean. Waffles/pancakes and syrup would work.

When I would be doing 4 practice sessions and 7 races in a day, I would start things before the race weekend with some good pasta. I’d eat a good bit the 2 days leading up to a weekend.

Then on race day for breakfast I’d have oatmeal with honey, and a banana.

During the day when I’m riding/racing a lot and super hot, I can’t eat a lot. So I would snack on fruit, granola bars, and the GU Energy Gel pouches (love those things; they are quick, easy, taste good, and provide complex carbs).

During lunch I’d eat something like some Ramen noodles.

12. You can’t go wrong with these things. Honestly.

https://guenergy.com/products/energy-gel

13. As far as bars go, these are the only ones I’d keep in the RV.

https://shop.clifbar.com/products/clif-bar-white-chocolate-macadamia

They have a little protein (9g), which is fine. It’s some protein, but not enough to cause digestion issues (as long as you drink enough water with them).

They are a good mix of simple and complex carbs. I could eat one of those and be good for a couple of hours.

14. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

cliff bar people give LOTS OF MONEY, to keep motorized sports out of public, back country spaces... food for thought ;) personally, I will not give them a dime. Ski

Knotcher likes this.
  15. Ive got no idea about any of that, and have never heard about any of it.

I just used them because they tasted good (enough), and provided the nutrients I was looking for.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

She usually eats oatmeal with fruit early before a game, then a donut or two, a banana and then some gummi bears middle of a game. Usually.

Usually 4 or 5 small meals a day but she burns through what she eats.

Weirdly, a good result for her with an early morning game is a sugary rich, high fat (with whey powered and some other goofy shit in it) milk shake before bed.

Anyways, we are looking for something immediately before, during and if she has down time and another game where a bagel or other carb rich and easy food is not right there.

Her putting on weight is impossible and even not losing is the issue. She burns it faster then she can even get it in. :)

17. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

One of my cycling buddies was giving me shit about not eating bananas.
    I ate about 1/2 of one and promptly threw up on his shoes.
    I'm allergic.

Your reaction seems odd, as the potassium is supposed to help you NOT cramp.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Only way I can describe it (and the nutritionist she was working with briefly said) was some girls are like a car. Put fuel in it and go. He said She is like a chain saw that you hold wide open and it just burns red hot.

19. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

The only time sugar isn’t a bad thing is when you are intensely stressing your body. Any other time it’s one of the worst things you can ingest.

SpeedyE likes this.
  20. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

If you need something immediately before the GU Roctane or the Jelly Belly Sport Beans will hit fast. For GU, I'll take the first one about 30 minutes before an event and then one immediately before. Unfortunately, too many mess w/ my stomach. Once I'm 10 miles+ into a run i'll go to the Sport Beans. However, they do have caffeine in them - side affects are dehydration and needing to shit, so maybe try at practice to see how they react w/ her. Nothing is better than good nutrition and hydration starting days before.

Another option that isn't caffeinated and easy to eat when subbed out(only works if she gets to the sideline) are the Clip Stoop Waffles. I love these and keep them in my desk at work since they're small, pack some good carbs and stuff and can easily be eaten in a few bites.

Overall, gotta experiment with stuff.

And yes, this shit gets expensive!

Gorilla George and henry_carlson like this.