1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Work out nutballs - Sports Nutrition Bars?

Discussion in 'General' started by Dave K, Oct 4, 2021.

1. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Looking for some of those protein bar things for the kid for immediately before and during games or when needed.
    The Gatroade ones are a f@ck ton of sugar so those are out.

What are goods ones that don't sit like a brick, don't taste like cardboard, aren't mostly sugar (why not eat a snickers in the place of some of those 'cause less sugar) and are not stupid expensive?

What 'cha got?

2. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Thanks and I like the stuff they have listed but she's not a fan of peanut butter. :(

We tried Kind bars and I liked them but she's not a huge fan of nuts.

4. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

I always get the Nature Valley XL Protien ones in dark chocolate. Still have a bunch of sugar, but about half the Gatorade ones. I usually only eat them right before or during intense exercise. So the sugar doesn't really concern me as much as it normally would. Though the Gatorade ones had enough that they actually made me sick. I didn't look at the package when I bought them.

5. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We were given a bunch of the Gatorade ones and she ate one before a game (and it was humid and hot) and it did it's job. Later, she ate one topped with a gatorade drink in the heat after a game and not a great idea.

They're around here somewhere but they are no bueno.

6. To be honest, a protein bar isn’t ideal for that purpose.

Yes, the body can/will break down protein into amino acids, and then convert those amino acids into glycogen for energy (a process called gluconeogenesis).

BTW - the body can also perform that process on your own muscle fibers if necessary (that’s what is meant by being in a “catabolic” state…your body can essentially consume itself for energy if necessary).

However, that is not the body’s first option/preference. Not only does that process take longer, but it can also cause an upset stomach if the body is forced to do that while also exercising (blood flow is required for both; the body’s primary objective is to fuel the muscles, which means the stomach takes a back seat….making that digestive process difficult).

Carbs are a much better (and preferred) energy source for sports.

For the purpose you are trying to serve, something like a regular granola bar would be better (followed by water and Gatorade before and while playing).

You want to bring in the protein AFTER the event, when the muscles are craving amino acids to begin the recovery process (and the protein synthesis rate is elevated).

Admittedly, I do have what is called an “intraworkout” amino/protein (plus other shit) drink when I’m in the gym. But it’s because my gym sessions are 2-2.5hrs long. And that drink is my own concoction I created, with specific ingredients, and it isn’t solid food (breaking down solid food isn’t a concern).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2021
  7. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I like PROBAR Meal when cycling. Tons of calories with plenty of protein. They chew easy. They taste good. And I don't get any gastric distress.

Sugar definitely has its place when exercising. But I really depends on the activity and effort.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Carbs have (unnecessarily) gotten a bad rap over recent years. Carbs are not a bad thing.

Hell, that even applies to sugar. Many people think sugar = getting fat. Sugar is a GREAT energy source. Haven’t you seen NFL and MLB players chomping down M&Ms and shit during the games? That’s not a joke, it serves a real purpose.

The SportsScience guys did a whole episode/study on it and proved how athletic performance, strength, stamina, etc increased after ingesting simple sugars.

The only problem is that it is a quick energy source. If someone can only eat ONE thing before a game, and expect it to last the whole game, complex carbs would be better (hence the granola bar suggestion).

BTW - this may sound funny, but you could consider stopping somewhere and grabbing an order of sweet potato fries before the game. Seriously. Sweet potatoes are an excellent source of complex (sustained) carbs.

henry_carlson and Ducti89 like this.
  9. motoracer1100

motoracer1100 Well-Known Member

Lol.. I was just envisioning Broome with protein bars that are shaped like Animals.. so he could pet them before eating them :D

10. shakazulu12

Oh he definitely eats animal crackers at the gym. I have no doubt about this.

11. :crackup:

I’ve never been into protein bars. I just can’t do them. They are either tough as hell, or taste like chalky assholes.

Ive gotten 200+g of protein every single day, for as long as I can remember, without ever eating a protein bar.

I know they serve a purpose and have a place, just not for me.

12. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Massive Monkey Man, sugar is covered. We had a neighbor who ran marathons a few times a year (and usually finished in the points) and she shared her secret. - Gummi bears. Not a ton of them but a few when you need them. :)

and your earlier post was helpful, thanks! Got more? :up:

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Sports food companies have been selling better versions of Gummi bears for nearly 2 decades. Clif Bloks use "better" versions of sugar, have extra salts in selectable concentrations, and can include caffeine as well. I don't know how they compare in calories per $$. But the extra salts is a big deal for some activities.

14. shakazulu12

Fig Newtons are the other favorite I've found. The sugar really isn't going to hurt you during the event. Your body can't digest real food while going at it anyway.

15. Spang308

Spang308 Well-Known Member

RX Bar or Built Bar. The later is a bit pricey but taste the best.

16. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

look into Power Crunch bars. available at most wally worlds, the salted caramel is AWESOME! does not taste like the "normal protein bars". they have the crunchy wafers like the old strawberry, vanilla, chocolate wafer bars with the frosting between them. the mint chocolate is decent, and the vanilla is always a go to but, the salted caramel is number 1, for me. Ski

https://powercrunch.com/product-category/bars/

17. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

I've always thought of all protein bars as candy bars with protein added.

Gino230 likes this.
  18. cortezmachine

cortezmachine Banned

metRX apple pie

thank me later

19. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

Muscles use glucose to function.

Carb loading 2-3 days before a long event while scaling back workouts works for maximizing glycogen stores.

concentrated gel paks during.

Protein works to help rebuild or build more muscle. I like the idea of adding a peotein snack an hour before bedtime. Usually Greek yogurt.

RichB likes this.
  20. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

I love me some Gatorade bars.