1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woodcraft vs dion device??

Discussion in 'General' started by boloson, Mar 8, 2013.

1. boloson

boloson Well-Known Member

Anyone have personal experiences with either woodcraft brake guard or dion device brake guard? More interested in the functionality of them. Pros & cons of each, how they fare in a crash? Would buying just the brake side affect affect steering?

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

It will not affect steering. My son has used the Woodcraft and GP Tech brake guards on the right side only.

No experience with the Dion Device.

3. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

My son uses the Apex Mfg. brand. Not crash tested by him yet but doesn't affect steering. Only uses the right side for brake coverage.

4. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

We have used the Woodcraft and Dion Device here at our shop and prefer the functionality, fit and finish of the Dion Device over the Woodcraft model. Ina couple of cases it has actually protected the throttle/switch assy in a crash too. Neither one of them restrict steering, that we have seen,in the applications we installed them onto.

x_notorious21 likes this.
  5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

The Woodcraft one I have took a 75mph hit and completely saved the brake lever - it wasn't touched and the bike was inverted at one point as well. The guard just had some scratches on it that I touched up with a sharpie. I don't think I could have tested it much better, unfortunately.

6. The Apex one looks really nice; i like it.

I have the one from Geoff (GP Tech) on my R6 and i like it a lot.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

The Dion Device is excellent. No interference with the hand on the outside of the bar, plus it folds out of the way in a crash. I am biased, as I helped develop it, but I think it's the best out there.

x_notorious21 likes this.
  8. boloson

Which one did he prefer?

Which bikes did u install them on? I'm on an 09 zx6r and have issues with clearance with my stock brake lever hitting the plastic piece near the fairing stay at full left turns. I'm worried that both these guards would have clearance issues.

That's good to know. No issues with bending inwards of the guards?

9. boloson

Wow first time I've seen this. Good to know thanks

10. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

We have installed them on 09+ GSXR1000's, 08-10 GSXR600/750's, 848/1098, S1000RR's, R6's, and your bike with no fitment issues. We do however almost always reduce the clearance on the steering stops, which definitely helped in some cases.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I have the Woodcrafts on my 06 600. I have them on both side even though I probably only need it on the brake. I don't even notice its there once I get moving. The only added benefit I can think of the Woodcrafts having over the Dion is that it can offer some added protection for the outside of your hand in an impact, either with someone else or the ground.

12. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Not at all. It didn't move.

13. anupe

anupe Searching for consistency

I'll have to check out the Dion Device. The woodcraft device restricted my riding style, I place my hands on the outer end of the bars. My hands felt trapped in by the Woodcraft device.

Thanks, Rick!

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

He didn't have a preference. I do know the woodcraft one made it more difficult to use a canyon dancer, which is one of the reasons I mounted the GP Tech one.

15. LukeLucky

LukeLucky Well-Known Member

I've only used the Dion Device and it worked great with no interference and seems like it would offer the greatest guard against the issue a brake guard is supposed to guard against. The stick and ball kind seem like a glove would go right around it. Dunno though. Luckily I never had to test anything like this.

16. kman0066

kman0066 Well-Known Member

Hmm. Interesting. I wonder if these things could have helped prevent my hand from getting broken as it got sandwiched between the ground and the handlebar.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  17. ThrottleAbuse

ThrottleAbuse Will Race for CASH!

For sure put a bigger set of steering stops on. Then you won't have this issue. And headshake is not nearly as sketch.

18. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

:stupid: I use them on both sides of my Sv and I have been very pleased with them. They don't interfere with my riding in any way. I also like the fact that they might help keep my hand from being stuck under the clipon in a lowside.

19. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

I think all of the Roadrace Factory riders had a chance to test it in 2012 (actual contact) and it worked great. Hayden Gillim had an issue at Daytona when Cory Alexander moved over into his clutch lever coming to the finish line in Saturday's race and actually caused Hayden to lose power. He figured it was the difference between second and third. We put guards on both sides for fast tracks, and Dion makes a clutch side guard.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You're lucky, I spent 15 minutes looking for a pinkie at the International Horseshoe one day from just that sort of crash.
    Nice easy lowside, almost no damage to the bike, rider jumped right up.

But the top two sections of his right pinkie had been completely severed, and not cleanly.
    He was mostly upset that his race day was over.
    Quite likely a guard would have saved his finger.