1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Winter Olympics 2022

Discussion in 'General' started by Yzasserina, Feb 1, 2022.

1. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So here we go! Couple days from now. Thank God for this sporting interlude until F1 and MotoGP start up again.

Anyone going to watch? I love the ski jumping, biathlon, luge, speed skating (long and short)… those are my particular favorites, but I really enjoy them all…

Paige likes this.
  2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You bet I will be watching. The great stories about Team USA have already started.

My friend from church has a nephew, Zack DI Gregorio, in the luge doubles. So cool that the team that was originally favored to run for the US, but lost out, is loaning their sled to Zack and Sean for the Olympics!

Major props to speed skater Brittany Bowe who gave up her slot in the 500, so the 3rd place finisher Erin Jackson could go to the games. Erin is one of the best in the world at the 500 and a medal favorite. She but had a slip at the trials and finished 3rd. Brittney still has 2 events to compete in, and she really isn't a medal contender in the 500 like she is in the 1000 and 1500, so it all works out well.

US mixed doubles curling hits the ice Feb 2 (tomorrow) at 7:05AM Eastern to get things started. They had to go through a last chance tournament just to make it to the Olympics.

3. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

Love the Downhill

Sabre699 and Yzasserina like this.
  4. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

I’m so excited. I’m enjoying not having such a big break between the Olympics.

Yzasserina likes this.
  5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I have a friend there covering the events as a journalist.

This is how they were greeted at the Beijing airport :

[​IMG]

6. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

I’m glad he arrived safely and wish him well on a worthwhile professional journalist experience!

Are you looking forward to any sports in particular?

7. tgold

tgold Well-Known Member

Luge rocks!

8. BigBird

BigBird blah

Jamaican Bobsled team!

Cool Runnings is still one of my favorite movies :)

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I like anything that is not judged....

10. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

When Mongo rides it it's call the Huge.

Funkm05 likes this.
  11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Humanity is marching itself into a mousetrap , head first, while taking selfies and doesn't even realize it.

12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I want to be more excited but dislike the non winter settings they've been trending toward. Winter Olympics should be in a place I've never heard of like Lillihammer or Nagano :D

Definitely will be watching the downhill skiing, speed skating and hockey when I catch them.

Yzasserina and badmoon692008 like this.
  13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd go through one of the walls once I hit terminal velocity :crackup:

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So no ski jumping?

15. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Downhill skiing is what I like. And a little freestyle/moguls too.

Yzasserina likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's measured not judged.

They all obviously have officials involved in them but anything where they go purely off of some supposed experts opinion as to how well they did their thing is not a sport.

SGVRider likes this.
  17. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

So, sort of ski jumping. :cool:

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm confused. Why do you bring up ski jumping? It isn't a judged sport. Or are you talking about the freestyle stuff which isn't actually ski jumping?

19. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Ski jumping is both measured and judged. Style points awarded for keeping body still in air, no excessive course corrections, controlled landing, etc.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

If the judging is a part of the score then nope. Who goes farthest wins, don't care if they hit the supposed proper beauty standards doing it. Granted landing is important so that counts, going the furthest looking like a tumbleweed isn't a ski jump, that is just falling.