1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10 tech help

Discussion in 'General' started by Fencer, Feb 14, 2021.

1. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

It is probably on a Microsoft page some place that I missed.

Here is my issue. My daughter has malware on her computer that is just Fing everthing up, self replicating and eating all the resources to slow the thing down so virus programs can't even update.
    I am just going to wipe it as there is really nothing on there worth saving we don't already have backed up someplace else.

The issue. it was originnally a windows 7 computer upgraded to Win 10. If I use the factory reset to wipe it. It will put 7 back on there and 10 is no longer upgradeable from 7 .

I read and have downloaded that I can use the win 10 recovery tool for this but in addition to the 10 recovery tool. I need a 3 gig image of 10 to be able to reload it.
    I don't have the smarticals to figure out how to get this image or any way to wipe and reload 10.

The computer still has enough horspower to make it worth recovery vs buying new.

Thanks in advance

2. sicc

sicc Well-Known Member

make sure its associated to a Microsoft online account. the license should be there and you can re-associate the computer after you wipe it. also it is not mandatory to install a license. Windows 10 will continue to work, youll be stuck with a watermark in the corner and some other unimportant limitations.

3. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

Try using malwarebytes and cc cleaner (both free) to see if that removes the problem.

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

5. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

ctlr-alt-defeat

TurboBlew, Fencer and pickled egg like this.
  6. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Where is Mr.Sunshine when you need him....;):D

7. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

You can launch in safe mode with networking.

or

You can reset to win 7 and still upgrade to win 10 for free through Microsoft site. I just did it on a computer last week. No new license.

_indy and Fencer like this.
  8. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

If you've had (a legit) W10 on it for a while, re-load the OS using a thumb drive. You will not have a license issue.

Use the following to create an image:

Download Windows 10 (microsoft.com) Click the second "+" sign.

Fencer likes this.
  9. jd41

jd41 Well-Known Member

Create a recovery drive from another win 10 machine to use

10. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I cant get either to install. that was my first go to.

Having kids, I have done this dance before, But I havent had access to this unit for a long while (too long)

11. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I saw online that the upgrade legacy time expired around 17 or 18.

Last week you say? No issues?

12. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Bit Defender once you get it all sorted out.

If you restart the computer 3 times without getting to the home screen the next restart will prompt to run a recovery option I think.

Also turn off the wifi and unplug any network cables. There's no telling what it's pumping out to or running something from the internet.

StaccatoFan likes this.
  13. Dave_SV

Dave_SV Well-Known Member

14. Fencer

Fencer Well-Known Member

I managed to get it sorted and the latest version of 10 is now on it,

Thanks for the advice

beac83 likes this.