1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will this jack work on a racebike?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by T748, Mar 6, 2003.

1. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

It's from Sears - $120.
    [​IMG]

Looks like it's designed to support a bike that has a cradle frame, as opposed to a twin-spar frame. Any thoughts? Looking for something on the cheaper side to get my bike up in the air to work on it.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2003
  2. svdale

svdale That's my Baby

I had the same one, but sold it, it will work but you have to make some kind of bracket for the sv, i believe some guy posted on how to do this on svrider.com, but not for sure, hope this helps see ya, Dale

3. SV Bob

SV Bob Track day junkie

Are you just going to use it in your garage? I like to lift from the ceiling with a come-along (winch). Can’t knock it over that way. ;) You can use one winch for the whole bike or 2 to lift the ends independently. A 1 or 2 ton winch is cheaper than the Sears jack but you have to have a place to attach it to.

4. GOOCH

GOOCH Invisible Bully

My gixxer is sitting up on one right now! I put the lift under the exhaust and used tie downs to keep it steady.

5. T748

T748 FMF SV Pilot

Thanks for the suggestions, all. I like this idea - I have a good garage for this, I think, if I can find the ceiling joists under the wood ceiling (it's a really old garage).

6. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

I have 2 big eyelets screwed into the joists in my garage, I hook tie downs between them and the bike I'm changing tires on, etc... A little added security for race stands, side stands and such..;)

The Sears lift looks OK, I just wonder about pipes and fairings under the belly of a sport bike. You would have to engineer a solution...

7. SV Bob

SV Bob Track day junkie

I put a 2x(6?) across the top of several joists and ran all-thread from the 2x through the ceiling. The all-thread goes down the side of a joist and I attached it there also to keep it from swinging. I have 2 of them about 3 feet apart and have had a 400lb bike on each at the same time.