1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will “Normal” Truck Prices Ever Return?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 23, 2021.

1. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

I'm sure things will return to a more normal as the masses stop needing things 'RIGHT NOW'. European manufacturers have always had much tighter inventory control and therefore not had to discount as deeply as American vehicles. If I had to guess, things will start going more toward that direction with American auto makers too.

Although with Unions and the need to keep the plant producing vehicles, they'll still probably have more supply than needed, especially compared to Euro stuff.

I always found it odd that in the UK for example, most people go to the dealer and 'order' a car to their spec and then wait a couple of months for it to be built and arrive. Here in the US that sounds absurd and quite rare. I can't imagine having to wait months for my new toy lol. Instant gratification is a wonderful thing.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hard to keep a lot of inventory on a dealer lot the size that most of theirs are.

3. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I was going to say. I'm sure the lack of two football fields worth of parking space plays into that.

4. BigBird

BigBird blah

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Of coarse, isn't that always the way ?

Sabre699 and BigBird like this.
  6. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

We really are in interesting times. I bought my 2005my boat in 2018 for $5000. 19’ bass boat with a 115hp Merc. Nice Ulterra trolling motor and probably 5 year old electronics (fish finders) but they were cutting edge when new.

I sold it last month for $11,500 and it took two days. Unreal. I rebuilt the trolling motor lower unit myself for around $200, had the steering cables replaced for $400 and the only other money I put into it was gas and oil. I didn’t really want or need to sell it, but I couldn’t pass up that profit on a damn boat. I didn’t use it that much anyway and bought a pedal drive fishing kayak to replace it.

BigBird likes this.
  7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Oil will always be sitting in the ground for the country to take. Not like Saudi Arabia can go out of business. As proven by things like AMC, car companies can indeed go out of business to be never seen again.

8. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

So I don't screw up with the wrong one some day, which years/models are these? Ford Ecoboost?

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

All of them.

10. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just did KBB on my 2017 RAM 2500... 6.7 55K 4WD.... Paid 32 K on Xmas day in 17 now it’s worth between 39k and 45K per KBB... Maybe I just need to go spend 6K on bike goodies so all this won’t matter...LOL...

The Todd likes this.
  11. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Smart.

I'd rent a boat if anybody rented them here. Every time I see that thing I want to kick it.

12. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Run it thru CarMax to see what they'd offer. Takes a minute for them to respond.

13. Steak Travis

Steak Travis Well-Known Member

I got an f150 a couple days ago. I guess I over paid, but it doesn't feel like it. I'm happy to be out of the highlander and back in a truck. I had my last one 10 years and suspect I'll do the same with this one. Thought I could live without a truck but wasn't meant to be. I ain't no bich

Rich likes this.
  14. turner38

turner38 Well-Known Member

Mostly the Ford stuff I see low mileage issues with. Most recent was a F150 with a 5.0 that had 49k miles on it...
    Had to put a new Ford engine in it because Jasper won’t even do them, the bad part is, I thought that was Fords GOOD engine!

JMO

BigBird likes this.
  15. Itey

Itey Well-Known Member

Its not just the chip shortage but the cheap money also. It will come to an end soon enough.

16. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Well that’s a bummer, as over time I wanted to replace my work vans with newer Ford tall work vans. From what I’ve read they seems to be more reliable versus the Mercedes Sprinter or Fiat Dodge vans.

17. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

I have said tall work van, all 9 feet high of it.

It has been fine for me, has 105k mi on the clock w/ no real issues. Ecoboost is great, the diesel is totally not worth the hassle w/ how much torque the motor makes.

18. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

me too, im taking an econ class for my masters degree and a lot of forecasters are very worried about economic collapse

19. BigBird

BigBird blah

Sprinter Vans hold their value probably better than any other vehicle, and that was in the olden days of car depreciation and not the new car appreciation days

20. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

And the powers that be say “inflation is at 3%, it’s never been lower”. :crackup:

They make Baghdad Bob look like a bashful, rank amateur. Stick a fork in us, we’re fucking done.

YamahaRick likes this.