1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Will “Normal” Truck Prices Ever Return?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Jun 23, 2021.

1. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I was excited at the idea of getting a new truck this summer/fall. I stopped by a local Ford dealer to inquire about a Ranger Tremor. They’re charging MSRP + 10% (minimum) on all of their vehicles. I haven’t looked at any other dealers yet, but I’ve heard most are doing this as well.
    Do you guys think truck prices will ever be back to “normal”? If it’s a limited edition or very hard to get model, I understand dealers charging MSRP, and maybe a little extra. But I’m looking at a Tacoma TRD Pro (or TRD Off Road), Ranger Tremor, or Chevy ZR2. I know these are $$$ for a midsize truck, but I don’t really need a full size (but that’s another topic for discussion.)
    Are consumers going to screwed (more than they used to be) from now on as far as buying cars/trucks? Will dealers ever realize they’re screwing the people they need to survive?
    Thx guys!

2. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Eventually supply will catch up with demand. Prices will come back down.
    The same will likely happen with building materials, RVs, dirt bikes, bicycles, and electronics impacted by the chip shortage.

With that said, some inflation is here to stay, so consumer prices might not drop that much on your truck, the MSRP might just rise up to meet the current market price.

418 and stk0308 like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Supply & Demand are out of whack. Eventually it will go back to balanced or even flipped. If you dont have to "Have it" right now...wait. Prices will come down.

Im just worried they will come waayyy down...for the wrong reason. (economic collapse of some degree)

henry_carlson likes this.
  4. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

No idea. Last year, I bought my '16 Ram 2500 Laramie (6.7) with 9,000 miles on it. $43k. For shits n giggles, I did a kbb.com trade in value on it as it sits today (26,000 miles on it).

$61k.

Prices are insane. Initially, I was like "Oh hell yeah I'm just gonna sell out, deal with not having a truck or RV, and buy stuff when every collapses." Collapses to what? Probably back to "normal" prices, the same prices were at just over a year ago. I realize I got mine for a couple grand under average because I bought mine literally the day before the dealers were forced to close due to Covid.

5. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I'm going to have to seriously start to think about a new to me used one in a couple years, mine's a 04 and the rust is getting it. I'm saving some cash and hoping the prices fall alot when the house of cards economy crashes again.

Wheel Bearing likes this.
  6. Wheel Bearing

Wheel Bearing Professional low sider

Sold my '04 after I bought my new-to-me one as well. Sold it for $14k, probably would have sold for $20k right now. Shoulda-woulda-coulda...

7. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

You can build one on the Ford website and pay the normal price right? Is the lead time ridiculous or something?

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  8. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

When this particular house of card collapses, it’s all over. Just get an AR15 and plenty of ammo right now, when the shit goes down head over to the Ford dealer and convince them to give you a substantial discount. You probably just won’t have any fuel to drive your prize away.

9. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

They weren't "normal" before this latest shitshow

jksoft, Phl218, R1M370 and 1 other person like this.
  10. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

In some discussions with a building materials co-op and their view is things won’t be returning back to the prior level anytime soon save for a recession/depression.

11. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

I hope they have huge sales at the end of this, alot of 2021 units should be moved fast once they get data chips in the them later this year. Im looking to get a new F250 and hope my thought on leftovers later this year will come true.

12. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

There's a "new normal" haha. The answer is no.

13. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

Does this work?

I was looking at Rangers and Tacos recently too. Used prices for 19+ from Carvana et al are <$2k below MSRP. So buying used doesn't seem worth it. But prices on OfferUp and CL are way over MSRP. I haven't been to any local dealers yet. But if they are over MSRP, I'm likely going to buy from Carvana.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

We were looking for the boss and dealers were sticking with MSRP but not over it - well other than the normal add on profit makers.

15. tecknojoe

tecknojoe Well-Known Member

I built a transit order in March and I'm still waiting on a build date. The same delays apply to trucks. Supply chain issues. The wait time for a Transit was ridiculous even before the pandemic

16. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

I think I read somewhere that GM is building trucks and parking them in lots next to the plant until chips arrive for ABS and other features that need them.

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Ford has the bits of Kentucky Speedway that aren't covered in Prim trailers covered in Super Duty trucks.

18. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

From what I've gathered, the F-250 line is feeling it the most because they require the most chips that are in shortest supply. The more tech-oriented news outlets are saying it's 55nm and older tech (which is almost a dozen generations old in terms of fab tech), and have shifted to other things since they cancelled orders in the early stages of covid.

Couple that w/ the increased demand on 3/4 tons in general from people buying big RVs last year, and you have the ridiculous pricing today.

Global Foundries CEO said the shortage may last until the end of 2022.

19. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

I'm not really seeing it here in central Fl on new stuff. Used prices are insane..:eek:. 2 years ago I picked up a 2nd vehicle. 2018 Ram SLT quad 2wd for just over 25 K out the door (No trade in so full tax, new tag, everything so I probably got it for about 22K or less. 2 years later and last friday I traded it in with 41 k miles on a 21 Bighorn quad with a 42k sticker. It boiled down to my truck and a check for 15k and off I drove... Not too shabby. Now, the new trendy and super desirable stuff they're not really dealing on much. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me test drive one of the TRX's they had on the lot...:crackup:

20. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Last new truck I bought (2013) I bought under the Ford X plan. My employer bought Fords for the fleet trucks so the employees got in on the deal. Before I signed I did comparison shop at other Ford dealers and the bottom line it was worth about 3 grand on a loaded F350 diesel dually Lariat, crew cab long bed. My 26 YO plow truck is on it's last legs (of course I've been saying that for at least 5 years). I absolutely hate the idea of buying another truck at this time.