1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why link wheelie control with traction control?

Discussion in 'General' started by adrenalist, Feb 19, 2017.

1. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

And you're in the minority in regards to your skillsets as a motorcyclist, not the majority. The dated sentiment that TC and other rider aids are unnecessary borderlines on complete ignorance and is largely shared amongst people with absolutely no experience with them. I'd wager dollars to dimes that given the opportunity, all the heros of racing past would utilize modern electronics given the opportunity and they'd have gone faster and been safer as a result.

2. DDK732

DDK732 Well-Known Member

The 2011 ZX-10 didn't have wheelie control, only TC. The 2016 ZX-10 was the first Kaw to use an IMU and have a wheelie control feature.

The standard ZX-10 has preset WC/TC settings, but the race kit ECU does allow you to tune WC and TC separately.

3. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

That's true but when the bike sensed the front wheel slowing down it still cut power. It couldn't differentiate from a power wheelie and wheel spin and killed your drive or let you wheelie too much. There was no perfect setting even using the kit ecu. It worked reasonably well but there was always a spot on the track where I wanted more WC and less TC.

I'm pumped to try the new bike with the kit ecu.

4. I agree completely. I think one of the main reasons we are seeing riders winning races (and even winning Championships) up to and past the age of 40, even on the World stage, is because of modern electronics. The bikes are more powerful and much faster...but they are also much safer to ride.

5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Oh that's easy, they can just sell you a kit ECU which likely does all of that for more $$$. And they know that tiny percentage of racers will actually do it. Have their cake and eat it too.

6. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I thought it was cause Rossi is da Goat?:crackup:

Gorilla George likes this.
  7. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

LOL. My old 7/11 superbike is a handful and not very rideable to most with only 160hp.
    I know the electronics help a ton on track and would use them if I was chasing lap times too. You would be a fool not to. I just do not think that providing the public with a 200hp missile that is only rideable with computer assistance is a good idea. I have seen too many stiff peckered kids turn themselves to jam because skill and HP were not in synch. IMO less power and lower cost on the street would be better for the sport. I would be all for having separate street and competition ECU's though.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

TC slows the revolutions of the rear wheel when it's turning more than the front. Wheelie control slows the revolutions of the rear wheel when it's turning more than the front. Only difference is the reason why the wheels are moving at different speeds.

:D

9. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Ra.Ge. Raptor wanna_be_fast

The new GSXR does not really have wc , it incorporates this function in the tc . It is a built-in "strategy".

10. Im really looking forward to seeing/hearing some "real world" reviews and results on this new Gixxer. I might have to get me one.

The only bad part is that it is a COMPLETELY new motorcycle. I have personally had good luck in the past buying first-year models with vehicles and bikes. But there have been many occasions when they just don't get it quite right the first time. The Aprilia head gasket (IIRC) and the R1 transmission come to mind.

Does anyone know when they first started testing this new bike? I read it was originally scheduled to be released in 2016 but they put it off one year. How much testing time does it have? Is there a test bike version of one of these new Gixxers out there somewhere with 10k miles on the clock?

11. shakazulu12

They have had 10 years of development on this bike. It's like a 5th generation new model. But get your facts straight, it didn't get delayed in 2016, it got recalled.:D

12. :D

The 2005 Gixxer set the new/modern standard for Liter bikes. It is still regarded as one of the best of all time. I know it has been over 10 years since they have really given us anything truly new, but I also know they didn't start developing this new bike in 2006. They were on top of the world then, the best Liter bike on the market.

When did they actually start developing this new model? For example, I know Kawi starting developing the new ZX10 in late '06/early '07, and it was scheduled to come out in 2010 (same year as the BMW), but they delayed it one year for more testing and to sort some shit out.

I remember during an AMA race Russell going on and on about how the Gixxer was "long in the tooth" during the broadcast and how the teams should be commended for still being competitive with it, and how hard they are working to extract more performance out of it. He said Suzuki was long overdue for an all-new bike, that they had pretty much gotten all they could get out of this outdated bike. He said something like "are you listening Suzuki, it is time, give us a new bike"....and that was way back in 2011. We still had to wait another 6 years for this bike.

So when did they actually say "ok, it is time to start working on a new bike?". Was it in 2010 or 2011 when the BMW/ZX/Panigale came out that Suzuki decided to start working on a new bike?

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Whupshakazuluass.jpg

14. shakazulu12

I'm all the way out in Portlandia. There is no way your Suzuki makes it even 1/10th of the distance needed to get here. Are you going to borrow a Honda or something? Maybe an Aprilia Supermoto or old Ducati perhaps?

Boman Forklift likes this.
  15. Ra.Ge. Raptor

@CHa0tic

there can't be two development teams within one manufacturer. I would assume Kawasaki started working on the '11 zx10 after they released the '08 version. Following the same logic, Suzuki could have started working on the new L7 after the L2 was released. But in Suzukis' case the L2 was a bike with minor tweaks so they could have started working on the L7 a little earlier. I'm sure I read about it but I can't remember where. I think it was "Suzuki bulletin " or something.

16. Im just reluctant to pull the trigger on such a brand new, from the ground-up bike, without seeing an article or hearing from someone that says something along the lines of "this bike was actually finished in 2015, and we have been running the same test mule for the past year without a single issue" or something along those lines.

The 1299S was a different story because it wasn't "all" new. Yeah, they bored out the motor, altered the bodywork a little, updated the electronics, changed the geometry, and I believe upgraded the braking system, but it wasn't all-new from the ground up.

I would just hate to get something like this, then 3 months later get a recall notice that says the Transmission has to be changed by a dealer, or they will provide a completely new motor...you just have to leave your bike at the dealership for 3 months.

17. Ra.Ge. Raptor

Then don't !
    But that dyno graph... :D

anyway ,magazines will test them in less than a month.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I thought I remember reading they were going to release it a year or two ago. Back then it didn't have the IMU. After seeing the competition, Suzuki smartly held back and added some more goodies.

Steeltoe likes this.
  19. adrenalist

adrenalist Well-Known Member

Really looking forward to the next magazine shootouts, as well. Esp a homologation/top tier shootout. Should be interesting to see what happens when each manufacturer brings their best to the table.

I agree with pretty much everyone. There's certainly a time and place for no electronic intervention. And it's perfect for skill honing. But, the six-axis IMU on my R1 has saved my bacon twice (that I'm aware of). So I do have an appreciation for it. Yeah, it's bringing up the cost of these throroughbreds, but it's worth it, as it's already saved me far more money than what the plastics and other bits would've cost after what would've been a couple of certain get offs thanks to ill placed water and oil.

Really hope both manufacturers do a software update to unlink the two, as previously mentioned. Thx for the insight, fellas.

20. That is exactly what I heard/read also.

They were going to release it, then Kawi and Yamaha and Ducati in 2015/2016 all came out with new, kickass bikes that had better electronics and made more power...and Suzuki realized their all-new bike was still going to be behind the times, so they held off to make some changes/upgrades.