1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why do companies let unions hold them hostage?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Donkey1, Dec 14, 2009.

1. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

So do most of ours........but what ever works for you.

What's a home, say around 2000+sqft, in a decent neighborhood go for in your neck of the woods and what would the property taxes be?

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It's more than an honest cop in this area makes unless they marry someone that makes decent money.

3. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Helloooo McFly, that's not the answer I was looking for!!! :D

4. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:D

I guess it also depends on what you call "decent". A fairly nice 2000sqft home where I am with a nice lot is around 150K. My house is 1500sqft, old but with almost an acre size lot near the elementary school appraises at 110K. Though I wouldn't pay that for it. :p

Closer to Knoxville in the newer developments you would be looking at 200K - 300K for a 2000sqft home. Our taxes aren't all that bad. I think I pay around 600 bucks a year total.

5. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Thank you sir!
    Did the ppl there get over the civil war yet, cuz central to eastern Tennessee is still on my places to retire list? :D

The figures you quoted were about what I recall one of my old street riding buddies telling me, his mother moved down that way about 10 yrs ago.

As you might know already, the NNJ/NYC area is, more or less, pricing the little ppl right out of the market. Altho my home's value has increased nicely over the yrs, so has my taxes. Trust me when I tell you it's far more than what you're paying, it's practically another mortgage payment. Nowadays, a home as we're describing within 30-45 minutes of NYC in a decent suburb is easily beginning around $350,000 and that is more than likely a fixer upper. Again each town's tax rate varies but taxes would be anywhere around $5000-9000.

Anyhow, thnx for sharing, I like hearing from real ppl rather than websites or magazines about this osrta thing in different areas of the country.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  6. scotth

scotth Banned

Doesn't much matter. What makes you think any specific profession is entitled to live in 2000 sq. ft. in a nice neighborhood?

Nowhere does it say, "And yay, ye shall deserve a comfortable income"?

7. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Were you dropped on your head as a small child?

Yea no profession is entitled to a decent home in a decent neighborhood, only what the government is willing to give you. :rolleyes:

8. scotth

scotth Banned

So your position is that certain professions are simply entitled to those things?

9. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

Here in my neck of the woods in WI, I live in a newly built 1800 sq. ft two-story on 1/3 acre. We got in it for $160k about 5 years back and we pay $4200/year in taxes. As a comparison, though ... our same house, by the same builder in our neighborhood is now going for right around $200k - $225k.

10. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Very interesting, I wouldn't have guessed Wisconsin taxes were that high.

If putting words in my mouth entertains you........

11. scotth

scotth Banned

Which is why I asked specifically and directly for your position. What is it?

12. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Scott- seriously, wtf is wrong with you?

How did we arrive to entitlements when all I asked was what the housing market and property taxes are like in your neck of the woods?

You think $100k is great money, try moving into Manhattan with that amount of coin.
    The only point I was making is in certain regions it's not really as much as you think, not when housing and taxes takes an enormous chunk out of it. If you dislike talking to me so much that every exchange has to turn negative, then ignore my posts.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The Civil War isn't an issue any longer. The problem down here is that Alamo thing. Are you Mexican? :D

But seriously, the reason I don't live in Upstate NY or the Boston, MA is taxes and cost of living.

I've lived in some very expensive places(ie, Chicago, San Diego, Boston and Orlando) but luckily I was either in the military are being paid to live there by my employer. My salary would have to be jacked up almost 30% for me to live in those places as a permanent home.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Unions think everyone is entitled to live the same level lifestyle. :p

15. scotth

scotth Banned

I disagree. In my experience, unions everywhere believe their membership is entitled to a somewhat higher standard of living than non-union members.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Yep, that is what I should have said.... "everyone in the union".

17. scotth

scotth Banned

Oh man...but even there it gets ugly. I've recently had to look at unionized negotiations for health insurance. The union reps are steering the plans to the ones that would best suit them personally. As in one guy who's morbidly obese wants a plan that covers the surgery he wants, even though it's going to cost every member in that union a large additional amount each month and it doesn't cover a lot of the basic stuff the membership listed as 'wants'. He's going to screw over the membership for his own personal benefit. I still wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it. It's all about all-for-one until the door closes, then those poor bastards on the line are thrown overboard so fast your head spins.

The real fun is when you get more than one delegate and each one wants something like that, and the two are mutually exclusive. Like rabid dogs, they are. :D

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Damn, that has got to be some fun stuff.

19. cNYnCArvr

cNYnCArvr A little bit of this...

Thats amazing that the numbers are up. 5 years ago new houses say in one particular area were going for $200k then a 4 years ago they were up to $300k and now they are down to $160k. My lady and I are looking at a home that originaly sold in 2005 for $550,000 and now any home that has sold in this development is selling between $280-310,000.

For the other two comparing TN to NJ...you seriously can't do that. Lets talk income tax there too. Am I mistaken if I recall my friend, who is retired NY port authority cop taking home 90grand a year on retirement, told me TN does not have a state income tax??

20. nk140

nk140 Well-Known Member

A friend of mine lives in TN and tells me that there is no state income tax in TN.