1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's watching the 24hrs of Daytona this weekend?

Discussion in 'General' started by Schump, Jan 25, 2007.

?

Are you going to watch the Rolex 24 hrs of Daytona this weekend?

1. yeah, with lots of red bull and vodka all night, all 15 hrs!

22.9%
  2. Some, but not all

45.7%
  3. i'll watch the beginning and highlights and end

17.1%
  4. No WAY! they actually race those things with 4 wheels?

14.3%
  1. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

wondering how many of us like car racing as well as 2 wheeled insanity.
    Rolex 24 starts @ 1pm saturday on fox. got bored a couple nights ago and deicded to TiVO ALL of it, 15 hr btwn the 1.5 on fox to start and the rest on speed.
    yeee haw!

2. mcracr

mcracr 2smoke racing 4 life!

small chance I may go up and watch some of the night racing - never been to the Rolex 24 but looks like fun!

Scott

3. Schump

Schump Pimp w/a Slight Limp

scott,
    u going to fly down there?
    bit of a long drive from philly...
    but my friend is a bit crazy and broke
    he's taking his ktm dirty bike from the poconos 2 tejas for the enduro next sunday, then turning around and coming home.
    prob about 2800 or so miles of diesel in his truck.
    i'm buying his gli jetta and he's dropping it off on the way down for $500....basically his fuel costs, not to mention the new parts he just got for his bike.
    i would like to drive down w/ him and fly back sunday night late, but i don't think i should spend the money on a plane ticket.
    of course, i've never been to texas yet, and the last dirt bike race i saw was the 04 mammoth motox.
    i got mcgrath to sign my brain bucket, forgot to get him to autograph my hawk gas tank.
    he was testing a "prototype" for honda then.
    let me know what parts you want besides the RC30 mold and bodywork, and i'll start digging in the garage 2 see what i have left.
    later,
    Schump
    think i'll go to the 24hrs next year.

4. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

It's pretty difficult to watch the whole thing. I've tried. I'll watch most of it.

5. Ill watch some of it. Looks like fun. Id love to drive one of those cars. X games is on so Ill be watching that too.

6. BRICKMAN

BRICKMAN Well-Known Member

I will watch

some too, I have a corvette and I like the Vette team they have there. Rember when Dale and Little E ran it in 2001? It was his second to last race he did before he past on,

7. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

I'll watch some. I was in it in '91. Finished 4th in the GTP class. Dericke Cope, who was the reigning Daytona 500 champ, was one of my teammates. He had never driven in the rain, so naturally every time it rained we put him in the car!
    He was dating Miss Coca Cola at the time and the team (Tom Milner Racing, now Prototype Technology Group) had Hawaiin Tropic as a sponsor for the race, so we had the Hawaiin Tropic girls in our pits. Needless to say, they made it easier to stay up for 24 hrs...

8. Thats cool. :beer: How do you get the qualifications to drive in something like that? What kind of car were you driving?

9. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

I started in Formula Fords and worked my way up. You gotta do it the same way no matter how many wheels you have ;)
    I was driving a Spice/Oldsmobile. We used to rebadge the engine (Olds, Chevy, even Cadillac) depending on who would give us support for that race.
    I finished 8th in the series and was rookie of the year. Switched to IndyCars and did the Indy 500 the next year (hence the user name).

10. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

i love anything with an engine so ill watch some. i really dont care for that series all that much though. it kinda seems like the nascar sports car series as does the indy racing league. I much prefer champcar and the alms. somebody needs to field a turbodeisel in the daytona 24 hr.

11. Indy92

Indy92 Beer Me

Agreed. The series used to be much better when there were factory teams from Nissan, Toyota, Porsche, and Chevy. Lots of fast cars and world class drivers that you actually had heard of...

12. mcracr

mcracr 2smoke racing 4 life!

I'm in FL Nov thru May - got a house down there to stay warm when it gets nasty up north... ;-)

Won't make it tonite - maybe next year when my daughter's a little older and I talk the wife into buying a nice motorhome. But some good racing on Speed now - loved the pass diving into T1 for the lead about an hour ago. Makes for good backgroung noise/ entertainment while working on the laptop and a few beers!

13. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

We are watching most of it, and the rest we are listening to from across the street at the RV park. Of course you have to watch it in person after dark when the brake rotors start to glow. What I really want to know is, who is the band this year and what movie are they showing at midnight?

14. Hooper

Hooper Well-Known Member

So, how long is it going to take to finish this race? :D

15. SpEdette

SpEdette Zombie

No option for "I'm already at the track"? Heading out of the RV at midnight to catch some night racing.

16. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Crap! I forgot it was on.

17. Tim McKinley

Tim McKinley Salty Member

Soooo, to continue the age old debate, which is harder and more operator dependant, cars or bikes?

18. Scott47

Scott47 Well-Known Member

I remember seeing your sponsor for the 500 and wondering what the hell Appleby's was!

19. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Wow

Been watching since 6am
    Rain rain go away:p
    Shit load of talent this year:up:

20. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Running in the rain this morning. Making it a little more interesting.