1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who's been audited by the IRS?

Discussion in 'General' started by notbostrom, Jan 18, 2020.

1. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Why the hell else would the IRS be sending me a letter? It's not like they mail out Christmas cards

418 likes this.
  2. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I'm not sure...In my lifetime I've received dozens of letters from the IRS, and none were notification of audit. YMMV.

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Probably one of these...

[​IMG]

Boman Forklift likes this.
  4. R1M370

R1M370 Dr. P Ness

Dealing with them right now for "missing or incomplete schedule D" on my 2018 taxes. My CPA had to send in an amended return but the IRS processing is super slow this year and an agent told me it could be up to 16 weeks before it's finalized.

5. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

or . . . .

upload_2020-1-18_12-46-47.jpeg

I’m only posting cause @pickled egg is working on his bikini lines. I’m merely taking up the bbs slack.

ChemGuy likes this.
  6. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Yeah man, your op read like she opened the letter already.

There's a myriad of reasons they'll send stuff. I have a half a dozen or so on my desk from the past year for different things. None being an audit.

7. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Both my accountants an I asked each time. This is the response we received.

8. Mblashfield

Unless you are an IRS auditor, how do you know this?

why would they lie?

9. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

I got a letter a few years ago, they said I'd made about 16K more than I reported. Turned out someone else made that money but due to a mix up at a company I'd done some work for in the past it was credited to me. Not the previous year though, so it took me a bit to figure it out. Weird part was they wanted me to prove it including info on the person that actually made the money that included their contact info and SS#. A letter from the company cleared it up with a note that that I wasn't passing along the other info. After a few months I got a letter saying it was all cleared up.

10. Mblashfield

also, each audit showed nothing out of place. If they were on a mission with any amount of confidence, they would have found something.

11. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

It seems that you ask about all of your personal issues on this forum. You do realize that most racers are crazier than a shithouse rat?

12. dsapsis

Because it's public information.
    Let me clarify. Audit selection is not wholly random. Auditing is targeted based on a few metrics pulled from SOI, and within those populations, there is random selection. Maybe we are both correct from a semantic standpoint, but from an operational standpoint, IRS looks at specific populations to audit. The probability of any single return being audited is anything but the same for all filers.

13. Mblashfield

8B0FB5FA-605A-4ED6-9111-465924A80B90.jpeg
    I found this with a 3 second google search.
    I pay a lot of taxes, maybe they were making sure I didn’t overpay...

14. Mblashfield

so, are you an IRS auditor or employee?

15. Mblashfield

If you’re not an IRS employee, why so much knowledge about who or what corporations get audited?
    You sound like a good candidate for a planned audit...

16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Crisis adverted. It was a 1099 from them for the interest they paid me on a old overpayment.

17. dsapsis

That is from their communication shop most likely. Because the majority of people simply don't understand sampling techniques and analytical methods (see your comment in post 30 for an example) often the messaging is oversimplified. And to repeat, there was an element of randomness to your selection, but that is not the same as saying it was random from the entire distribution.

Audits often do find in the favor of the filer. That's the nature of the distribution of error in our current process.
    To repeat the point: the chance of being audited is not equivalent for all filers (as would be the case in a complete random sample). Its not even close.

No, I am not an IRS employee. I do know how to read, I do know how to listen to my tax accountant, and I do data analytics for living. Maybe running a sign shop doesn't help you here, Piranha-boy. :D

YamahaRick likes this.
  18. Mblashfield

I just make signs, I don’t understand a word you said.
    One takeaway from our exchange though -you seem guilty of something, you are selling the marijuana, aren’t you?

This is why you research IRS audits.

If you are, you should be worried about an audit. That is a serious red flag.

I’ll prove to you there are piranha in the Nile, even if I have to dump some in there.
    I think I even saw a sign on the banks of the nile that read:
    No swimming due to piranha in these waters

By order of the Amity Island police.

Give me a couple days, I’ll post a photo of the sign.

19. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

It wasn't a crisis, it was a over reaction. :Poke: :D

713 likes this.
  20. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You're assuming they operate according to their own rules. It's a bad assumption. A lot of revenge auditing goes on.

Btw, I advise cooperating with an audit, as slowly and densely as possible. Try to be endlessly helpful
    and endlessly stupid when you deal with them. Forget to sign things or use the wrong forms. Be very
    apologetic that you can't seem to get anything right. Call and email them every damn day so they know
    that you're doing the best you can. If you need to go into the office for a meeting, make sure you don't
    bathe for several days beforehand, and spend those days at the gym. Whistle tunelessly as they go over
    your paperwork. Don't be afraid to ask their permission to break wind during the visit. Spill coffee on their desk.
    Make them eager to dispense with your case.

Phl218 likes this.