1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

who wears contact lenses?!

Discussion in 'General' started by 600rrpilot, Jul 15, 2005.

1. 600rrpilot

600rrpilot Well-Known Member

anyone? im getting glasses after suffering from eye pain for over a year due to constant computer use at work and too much overhead lighting.....but.....who here races with contact lenses in? do you find you have any problems?

theres no way im wearing glasses under my helmet.:down:

2. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

I race with contacts, and its NEVER been an issue. Clear forget I have them on from the moment they are in, untill I take them out.

3. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

get lasik man. I just did in November just for racing this year and love it. I can't wear contacts and hate glasses under my helmet

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I wear contacts and have been thinking about getting the Lasik done but your eyes still degrade so you end up spending $2000-$3000 for about 2 years of perfect sight then your eyes are crap again. I know because my wife can't see already. Anyhoo I have never had a problem with my contacts coming out during a race.

5. fullweed

fullweed gunnin for skillets

I raced with contacts for a year and had a few problems on the fast straights, like VIR, and when I worked for Code at Watkins Glen. I now have the accuvue hydraclear lenses and they haven't caused a problem yet.

One question....why not wear glasses while racing?? I know a few guys that do and even more that wear sunglasses on the track.

6. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Never had any racing problems.. but I did have one fold up on a street ride

7. Chip

Chip Registered

I wear contacts and have had a contact fly out on track.........fortunately I wear dailys and my vision is not that bad so it is just a matter of coming in and getting a new contact. I would love to do Lasik but I don't have the flow at the present.

8. xsr71x

xsr71x Old Member

Guy crashed at Road ATL had sunglasses on.. ended up with a shiner and a gash over his eye.. not very pretty...he has since sworn off wearing sunglasses under his helmet.

9. Lawn Dart

Lawn Dart Difficult. With a big D.

I used to wear contacts before getting Lasik.

I never had one come all the way out, but I did have one get caught up in my eyelid and was sliding around every time I'd blink. It sucks.

I never wore them while in a race though (had Lasik done before I started racing).

10. smooth

smooth Well-Known Member

I had to get a contact for one of my eyes for exactly the same reason (one eye-20/15, other eye-20/40 astigmatism). It totally cleared up my eye problems and headaches from staring at a computer at work.
    I don't really have much trouble with mine, have to take it out at night. Sometimes, sweat and dust in my eye is a little more iritating on the track, so I keep Visine for contacts with me.

11. 600rrpilot

i dont think i am a candidate for lasik.....just had my exam last night.......0.75 x 0.75 nearsighted.....so idk.

i dont want to wear glasses for that exact reason stated above.

i guess i'll get the glasses for day to day and contacts for racing. this sucks.

12. 600rrpilot

Re: Re: who wears contact lenses?!

dude my eyes hurt so bad every day due to this damn computer. :(

13. smooth

smooth Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Re: who wears contact lenses?!

I know the feeling. My good eye was having to compensate for my bad eye so much that I kept getting little muscle spasms in and around my eye and I was keeping a big bottle of apirin at my desk for the headaches.
    My eye doc first prescribed me three different types of glasses with a prescription lense on only one side. After looking at the prices and the fact that eyeglasses made me feel like I was getting tunnel vision, I said to Hell with that. The contact took some getting used to, but it really helps at work. There and when reading alot are the only times I really have to have it. Sometimes, I forget to put it in when I'm at the track but have had no problems because of that.

14. GCBusa

GCBusa Well-Known Member

I have been working in front of a computer for years and fortunately have never experienced/developed problems with my contacts.

As far as racing goes, the only time I can have a slight issue is if my eyes get really dried out and the contacts want to move a bit when I blink. That rarely happens as long as I keep myself hydrated. But I keep some rewetting drops on hand just in case. If my eyes are feeling a little dry before I go out, a couple of drops in each eye will usually prevent any problems with my contacts on the track.

15. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

your eyes aren't even that bad. Mine got ruined from working on computers 8-10 hrs a day. I was -1.50 and -1.75.

16. oldguy

oldguy NC novice old dude

My glasses got a little bent out of shape from jamming them in my helmet and during a race at Nelson, they dropped half way down my nose coming into turn 1 at about a hundred. They blocked enough of my vision with the frames that I vowed to get contacts. All I did was hang on and shake my head until they fell most of the way off. I told the Doc I wanted the focal point about 20 yards ahead of me for racing and he hooked me up with the contacts that are good for a month. I wear sunglasses under my helmet and all is good (well, all is good except I'm not any faster). :D

17. gerry

gerry Portuguese MotoGP Champ

never had a problem with my contacts, once they're in, it's unlikely they will just fall out. i always bring a spare set to the track just in case. also, i bring glasses as an emergency backup.

18. E=MC2

E=MC2 Well-Known Member

lcd flat panel monitors are alot easier on the eyes.

19. 600rrpilot

already using a flat screen lol.

20. rcrgirl84

rcrgirl84 Danger Kitty!!

I usually have no problems with my contacts riding or racing. Except for one time that I had a contact fly out during a race. I basically had to finish the race with one eye closed as I am almost blind (-4.25 in one eye and -5.25 in the other). Luckily it was the last lap and it was a mini race on a go-kart track.