1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who was a better president - Gipper or FDR?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by tcasby, Jul 24, 2004.

?

Who was a better president?

1. Ronald Reagan

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  2. Franklin D. Roosevelt

8 vote(s)
    53.3%
  1. 600inline4

600inline4 Mentally unstable

war

Bush didn't apease Iraq.............. everyone else did. especially Clinton.

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

iran, next please mr. bush!

werd.

bush 2004!!!!

:p

3. tcasby

tcasby Banned

I'm not that knowledgeable about Cold War history so cut me some slack, but..

Blaming FDRs pre-war policies for the Cold War is like blaming Reagan's (it was Reagan, right?) Afghanistan/Iraq policies for 9/11.

Wasn't the primary cause of the Cold War Stalin desire to create a buffer zone to prevent another attack of Russia?

My understanding of Reagan's apparently inadvertent role in ending the Cold war was that his policies, particularly "Star Wars" forced the USSR into an unsustainable military expenditure, and that his administration had no idea the USSR was collapsing, resulting in what is now the second largest intelligence failure since WWII.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  4. mad brad

mad brad Guest

read up on what lengths the russian military went to to "confuse" U.S. sattelites after WW2.

pretty funny, after a "nor easter" all the "fake" russian nuclear subs turned over in port. hillarious. :D

5. tcasby

tcasby Banned

With what? :rolleyes:

:D

6. tcasby

tcasby Banned

I assume this has something to do with this thread. I just can't imagine what.:confused: :p

You do know that the first satellites weren't launched until 15 years after WW2, right? :Poke:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2004
  7. mad brad

mad brad Guest

you kidding? we used all our "out of freshness dating" stuff on iraq. :D

8. chameleon68

chameleon68 Anti-whatever

Okay, it wouldn't have mattered what Patton had wanted after WWII because he'd been fired before FDR even died (and long before we went into Berlin). As far as Moscow, was there even a place in Russia CALLED Moscow then? I don't think so.

FDR was at the Yalta Conference along with Churchill and Stalin and they agreed on lots of things. The problem was that between the Yalta Conference and the Potsdam Conference, FDR had died and Churchill had been voted out. Stalin was the only leader with any real experience "negotiating." Truman had been kept pretty much in the dark during his whole Vice Presidency. He even remarked that all he knew about the Yalta Conference was what he'd read in the papers. The US got the bomb between the two conferences and the best part is that Stalin already knew before Truman did because he alread had spies here.

At the Yalta Conference (before the bomb) FDR had gotten Stalin to agree to keep China occupied so the US could get Japan (Russia was officially out of the war when Germany was defeated) Russia agreed to eventually go into China (I think it was a couple of months later, but I'd have to double check). The problems came because Russia actually kept their end of the bargain. They were in China when we dropped the bomb. In other words, we ended up not needing them, but nobody got the message. Since they were already there, they decided to take over some territory because they felt like they didn't get a fair deal with the splitting of Germany.

As far as FDR being against the war, that's just not true. FDR was doing what the majority wanted. He basically had his hands tied by the Isolationists ( look up the Nye Commission and the Neutrality Acts) and most of the country didn't want to get into another war so soon. FDR was personally chomping at the bits to get the US involved. He managed to find all kinds of clever ways to go around the Neutrality Acts to help Britain and France (and eventually Russia) get ships and all kinds of other equipment.

I don't think FDR was any more anti-British than I am (my husband is British). He and Churchill became very close friends. As for him being anti-Japanese, I really can't say, but most of the country was at that time.

9. "Pre-war?" :confused:

Keep saving your pennies. It's going to cost you a lot to buy a clue.

10. No, in this case it means you're riding on the Clueless bus with TA. :) 'fize ewe, I'd find a way to get off. ;)

11. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

12. Yalta Conference. Alger Hiss.

Look it up.

13. Yes; however, the key is not what Stalin agreed to do, but what Roosevelt was willing to give him (over Churchill's vehement objections) to get Stalin to agree.

14. chameleon68

So did I! I learned that I'm an idiot and should never try to post facts from memory. :D

I got Patton confused with McArthur during the Korean War and Moscow confused with St.Petersburg.

Anyways, Patton DID want to keep going to Moscow (and further) and it WAS called Moscow. Sorry bout that. I promise the rest of the stuff was really true!!

15. chameleon68

All I can find in my notes is that Russia wanted to liberate Berlin in exchange for going into China 3 months later. I'm sure there's more to it than that. Care to give me a hint?:)

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Thanks for the info. That was a serious question by the way. I really wasn't sure about that two term limit thing. I've forgotten alot about those classes. :)

17. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

Thanks for noticing. I wasn't going to say anything.;)

18. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Slow your head is just enormous isn't it??

"Organizing the occupation of Germany was one of the top priorities. The Yalta Conference agreed to divide Germany into zones controlled by each of the three nations present. With the immense size of Stalin's army, Russia would take Berlin and control the eastern half of Germany upon its surrender. Great Britain suggested France as one of the occupiers. Initially, Stalin resisted but eventually accepted this idea. Poland was given back its independence and given its own national election in order to create a new, independent government. Yugoslavia was given its own government as well which consisted of mostly old members under a new system. In both cases, Nazi and Fascist leaders were specifically prohibited."

19. I wear a size "M" Arai.