1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has a Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr.fork, Dec 30, 2015.

1. ped

ped Banned

you only need 4 straps. two on the front, two over the seat hooked onto sub-frame or rearsets on the opposite side of the bike. Thousands of miles doing this.

2. sowega

sowega #710

My mototote is perfect for my 250 and Trailblazer, but I'd make sure I had HD springs/struts on the rear before hauling a real (heavy) bike back there.

3. SupermotoFan

SupermotoFan deep Clothing Company

I only hauled a dirty bike, but mine worked great.
    A buddy of mine suggested (and then showed me how to) put a tiedown from the front-end side of the rack to the side of the receiver hitch. Close to eliminated the rocking.

4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I need to do that.

6. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

Another Versahaul user. Love it.
    Hauled my 748 from Minneapolis to Indy and back last year. No issues what so ever.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

The versahualer comes with the item linked by TurboBlew. If you don't have that, it would rock enough to concern me.

TurboBlew likes this.
  8. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

What he said. My Versahaul came with it. No rocking at all here. I run 80mph all day with it from Richmond to Barber.

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  9. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

read this: http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/my-mototote-experience-review.322511/

I last used it to haul a Tiger 1050 500 miles on my 4Runner, drama free. The design of the tongue attachment uses a bolt instead of a pin, so no slop/rocking when tightened properly. Speaking of which, I find I need to crank down all the bolts each time I use it despite nylock nuts and Loctite blue.

10. JeffroJ

JeffroJ 3 Ninjas and a Mexican

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Wish they made one to carry 2 scooters to the beach

12. iagsxr

iagsxr Well-Known Member

I had one, never liked it. Then a woman ramboned my KTM with a full-size Chevy truck.

[​IMG]

13. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Versahaul has dual one I believe. I have regular Versahaul and couple cheaper ones for scooter.
    I had old VFR1k on it from Tuscan to Reno no problem, that bike weights is in 700# range :)
    It is must have if you drive through CA to avoid pulling trailer and going 55.

14. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

A Trailblazer? Nice ride soccer Mom.....

15. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Also used a Versahauler. Aprilia RSV1000R, GSXR750, & ZX6R, no problemo.

16. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

They are available. We used one to haul a TE 610 and a WR 450 at the same time from Portland to Reno. Freaked me out a bit, but we had no problems.
    Cheers, Lee S.

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

And the bike stayed up? Wow... :D The only thing that would have topped that is if you had a "WIDE LOAD" banner draped across the katoom! :D

18. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

Just SOLD it - Sorry!

19. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Yep....I feel your pain....nothing bad will probably ever happen but this is so true. Everytime I used my buds homemade unit, I swear my eyes were always locked onto the rearview mirror the entire time. :D

Wanna make it even worse? Buy one from Harbor Freight! LOL!

I did, it works great, it's lightweight (aluminum) but only rated for 400# iirc....so only my dirtbike will ever see that carrier.

20. I know this is old but recently did something with mine that made me feel better. I attached a couple extra tie down running to the roll bar. It takes a bit of weight off the carrier and help stabilize it more. Still freaks me out too with a lifted jeep and just a dirtbike. Been using my open trailer when I go places that I can get a trailer in to.