1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who has a Hitch Mounted Motorcycle Carrier?

Discussion in 'General' started by Mr.fork, Dec 30, 2015.

1. Mr.fork

Mr.fork Active Member

I picked my track bike up a few months back. I drove up to CT to buy it and loaded it into the back of my Explorer Sport Trac. With the tailgate down, I just barely fit the bike in the back straight(The bed extender couldnt be put in place because the tire was sticking out of the tailgate). A week later, it fit with my bed extender when I put it in on an angle.

I'll be driving 1 way 120 miles monthly to the track with the bike when spring comes along with all my gear with my sport trac and feeling less than optimistic that everything will fit too cozy. I have been looking at trailers but keep realizing I absolutely do not have the room for one.

Has anyone used the trailer hitch mounted motorcycle carriers? If so, what are your thoughts on them? Best brands, things to look out for etc? I like the idea as it will give me the entire bed to put gear, parts, fuel, sleeping stuff etc while keeping the bike in its own spot but wonder if they are really any good.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I have one, put the Hyper on it on the Jeep. It works but always freaks me out. Smaller bike I'd probably never even notice it.

3. Mr.fork

Mr.fork Active Member

What does it do that freaks you out? looks like the bike may bounce a little on the carrier as is. I figured on giving the bike a little extra security by running a ratchet strap from the front and back of the bike to tie down points in the bed as well.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The movement. It's really secure but even with the bolt to cut down on sway it moves. Not bad just enough to mess with my head. That and the knowledge it's a bike hanging off of a trailer hitch. All of the weights are way within spec for the hitch (tongue weight) and the carrier and all, it's just all in my head.

5. r6boater

r6boater Logged out

We used one (trackside brand from Cycle Gear) on Draik's 4runner but only hauled a Ruckus. It did great on the entire trip from Knoxville to CMP (6ish hours). It was a lot more solid than expected.

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

If you do a search there's been quite a few threads about this topic over the years. ;)

Once a Wanker.. likes this.
  7. Rob P

Rob P Well-Known Member

I used to take my GSXR 1k to the track on a hitch carrier. I bought an inexpensive sportbike carrier through eBay and still have it. I use it on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Pros: fairly easy to load and tie down bike, easy to store, inexpensive.

Cons: with all the weight hanging off the back the front end got really light which made steering sketchy, maybe even dangerous. I added air bags which helped until they failed. I couldn't load cargo area with bike on back. I had to carry fuel inside vehicle. There is a fair amount of sway in receiver. Ramp that came with carrier collapsed.

I think for the price it was good. Look for one with a good wheel chock which will help stabilize the bike for tie down. Use a standard ramp.

Ultimately I ended up with a ramp gate trailer even though space was an issue. I just couldn't swallow the cost and limited utility of a folding motorcycle trailer. I do store other bikes on it while not being used which decreases the garage footprint.

8. BEi Racing

BEi Racing Well-Known Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sport-Bike-...ash=item58a352c784:g:YTEAAMXQQQZR4DIy&vxp=mtr

I bought one of these a few moths ago. I borrowed an aluminum one from a friend to haul the zuma, but when I saw the sale price on this I decided to step up. Heavy duty and would haul a streetbike with no problem. I didn't like the tie down hoops(thin metal and a little tack weld) so I cut them off, drilled a hole, and used eye bolts-be sure to use a spacer inside the tubing so it doesn't crush.

V5 Racer, MELK-MAN and TurboBlew like this.
  9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Only thing that I have reservations with most of those setups is that the mounting points for straps create a pretty "aggressive" angle for tying town the bike, unless there is a solid chock for the front wheel. Puts a lot of stress on the suspension due to how hard you have to cinch the bike down to keep it from moving. If they could combine something like what the Pitbull TRS does with a hitch-mount like that, I would be much less averse to those setups.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The suspension on any normal racebike will not be affected in any way. You also cannot blow a fork seal by tightening suspension too much. They can handle pothole pressure at speed, you're not doing anything like that too them. If you're a pro team with bikes strapped down upstairs in the semi for a week or more then yeah I can see worrying about springs staying compressed and so on but that's about it.

11. BigBird

BigBird blah

My next vehicle to replace the minivan is centered around using a motorcycle hitch carrier. The fact that I have no place to really store a trailer, and the major positive that I do not have to worry about the trailer breaking down is enough for me to go this route.

12. crankspleenless

crankspleenless Muh spleeeeen

I have this one: http://www.prolineracks.com/VersaHaul-VH-55RO-motorcycle-dirt-bike-hitch-carriers.html

I have carried plenty of dirty-bikes but I have also carried my 2006 GSXR1000 with it with no problems. I do however carry extra straps with me and if I get paranoid enough, I use the extra straps to stabilize the carrier with tiedown points in the bed. keeps it from rocking at all. I would suggest having someone handy to help load and tie it down. I can do it by myself but have really come close to screwing up royally.

-Matt

13. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

14. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

I have one FS over in the classifieds!

15. t500racer

t500racer Never Fails To Fail

I have hauled my 350lb racebike thousands of miles with a Versahaul (rated for 500lbs) on the back of my 1-ton van. Works great, I use lots of extra straps on it because I am paranoid. You can feel that it's there in the handling, but nothing I would consider dangerous.

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yeah, my paranoia is absolutely not a danger thing.

17. Mr.fork

Mr.fork Active Member

If you've changed your mind on shipping, I would definitely be interested

18. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

Plus one. Hauled a CBR600 Hurricane from Seattle to Laguna and back one year. No issues except for the light nose on the 1/2 ton Ram, but that was (moderately) alleviated with bags. Other than that, no issues, and I use it almost exclusively on my van with my dirt bike (don't like getting it any dirtier inside than necessary).

19. Mr.fork

Mr.fork Active Member

You guys have all pretty much sold me. I will probably make some modifications and use a metric f*** ton of straps but love the idea of not having to find a storage space for a trailer. Unfortunately, I have a 2 car garage with a single overhead door and a Camaro stored in there along with my CBR1KRR, GSXR, YZF450, mower, grill, tools, parts, etc etc etc and 3 cars in the driveway.

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Build the right brackets and you can hang the rack on the wall.