1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where's this coming from? Trailer floor leak.

Discussion in 'General' started by DmanSlam, Feb 20, 2023.

1. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Anybody got a good idea of where this leak is coming from? Pics are attached.

I was starting to prep the frame and underside flooring on my enclosed trailer when I noticed the water damage. It's not wet or soft at the moment and is located right in the area of the side door. So, I suspect the gaps at the bottom of the door jamb is causing the leak.

It's supposed to rain over the next few days so I might be able to see where the water is coming in from. Planning to re-caulk the door jamb with ProFlex or Marine sealant.

Attached Files:

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

That looks like a lot of water. I'd bet it's coming through the roof/wall seam over the door and running inside the wall.
    Walls are weakest where door frames provide leverage to distort them. The distortion works to compromise the seal.

DmanSlam, 27 and lopitt85 like this.
  3. lopitt85

lopitt85 Well-Known Member

Ditto. I'd start by inspecting the roof.

YamahaRick and 27 like this.
  4. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

I'm with these guys...your leak is definitely from above said area.

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Is there a drip edge above the door? If not, there should be and it should be caulked as well.

DmanSlam likes this.
  6. Probably from rain.

Shenanigans, Sabre699, BrentA and 8 others like this.
  7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

A pure MFin genious there.

Gorilla George likes this.
  8. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

That's why he gets the big bucks. :D

Gorilla George and R Acree like this.
  9. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

You dont worry about leaks when you buy a new trailer every year and store it in Livengood's living room when not in use.

So thats where he thinks leaks come from. The sky. Or well casing, drill rods or BOP. That's all he's got.

:D

Gorilla George and R Acree like this.
  10. BC

BC Well-Known Member

You don't give him enough credit. Remember the gorilla ice fountain display @ 151 Broome Way.

Gorilla George and ChemGuy like this.
  11. DmanSlam

Haha. Broome's not wrong though.

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Run a garden hose to a sprinkler park it under the top of the stream, and find it before you waste time chasing invisible shit

Sabre699, R Acree and DmanSlam like this.
  13. DmanSlam

I checked the walls around the door but only the interior walls, obviously. And it looks like I need to re-do the caulking anyway.

This situation brings back not-so-fond memories. As an apprentice in an auto body shop, the senior mechanics would dump the "repair" jobs of finding water leaks on me. Rain or shine, it was an outdoors job.

14. Phl218

Phl218 .

Flex-seal the whole thing, inside out

15. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

You're talkin' about the caulking for the roof/wall seam, right?
    Scrape all the old caulking off and reapply all new. It's available at RV stores and maybe camping stores and big box stores with a camping/outdoor section.

16. lopitt85

Yep. I scraped the old off, applied new caulking, then went over that with the permanent tape to double the seal up.

17. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

That usually fails, as the tape does not stick to silicone. At all. Just make sure the caulking you applied was to a good clean surface. Or the tape. Use one or the other.

18. lopitt85

Yeah, it doesn't stick to the caulking, but the tape was wide enough (6" IIRC) to where it provided a waterproof seal all the way up to the caulking on both sides. Not saying what I did was right way, but it's been a couple of years and no leaks yet.

19. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

When I redo the sealer on the roof, I go back over it with elastomeric paint. It's not pretty, but it oozes into cracks and seals them. It also reflects heat, so the trailer will stay cooler. I like to repaint them every year. If I see cracks when I go to paint, I put self leveling caulk in those first, let them dry and then paint.

DmanSlam and Red Fox Racing like this.
  20. lopitt85

Call me crazy but I went over the caulk and seam tape with heat reflective and water-proofing trailer paint too. About 3 coats