1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where to buy cheap Replacement clipon bars

Discussion in 'General' started by mdabyo, Mar 23, 2011.

1. mdabyo

mdabyo Well-Known Member

Hey, looking to pick up a stock of replacement bars, anyone know where to get them cheap? looking to pay less than the 12-15$ a bar they go for online.

-J

2. nikk777

nikk777 Well-Known Member

CTR has them at $12-$14 at the races? Haven't seen them any cheaper so far and I've been through several of them... Keep 3 in the tool bag just in case! CTR guy didn't know what to say when i bought all he had at my first GNF's....but I used all but 1 of them....

3. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

How much do you crash?

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

You can cut your own if you want. Cheaper that way. Not sure about the thickness though.

5. Racer 23

Racer 23 Well-Known Member

Be careful what you wish for.

Years ago, I had a set of replacement bars for my Chafong clipons, and by the time I made it to the track they were bent at a 45 degree angle just from being tied down with a Canyon Dancer. After replacing them with the second set of bars, the new ones bent during the races that weekend. You get what you pay for.

6. mdabyo

mdabyo Well-Known Member

lol.. buying for a group of us, first year racing.. planing for the worst :). but i agree.. i do get what i pay for, which is why i asked here..

7. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Whatever you get, remember to pre-drill them for your control stop pins. It is a pain in the ass to try and get them drilled right when you're rushing to get onto the grid.

8. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

Ever have a bar snap off on you mid-turn? $12-$15 is cheap insurance...

9. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

I have a vortex bar right here I am looking at replacing the tube by cutting my own aluminum stock down.

so we all know the OD is 7/8"
    I just measured the wall thickness at 0.118"
    tube length is exactly 11" long

so go to Mcmaster, and what do we get
    part number 1968T912

Alloy 2024
    Material High-Strength Aluminum (Alloy 2024)
    Shape Tubes
    Tube Type Round
    Finish/Coating Unpolished (Mill)
    Round Tube Type Single-Wall
    Tolerance Standard
    Wall Thickness .120"
    Inside Diameter .635"
    Outside Diameter 7/8"
    System of Measurement Inch
    Test Report Without Test Report
    Hardness 120 Brinell
    Specifications Met American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM)
    ASTM Specification ASTM B210

36" 1968T912 $47.07
    6' 1968T911 81.16

though at $47 for 3 feet, where you can get only 3 bars, I am not seeing the savings?

Not to mention is the 2024 going to be strong enough?
    Do we know what material an original bar is made from?

More shopping leads aircraft spruce with 6061-T6 7/8" 0.120" wall stock at 6.82 per foot.
    Now thats money saving!
    Though again, is this the correct material

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  10. If a few $12 bars is this much of an issue or a concern, yall might want to do some more/different planning.

11. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Id rather support Woodcraft and pay the 15$, their bars come w/ the nifty plugs in the ends, and black is an option.

12. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

Totally agree. Plus to be honest and I don't mean to sound like a prick, but if trying to save $3-4 on spare clip ons is even an issue.....you're probably in the wrong sport. I race an SV and race on a budget but even at my level that minimal amount of cash shouldn't make much difference. Support your vendors like Woodcraft because they support us as club racers.:up:

13. Pigman

Pigman Well-Known Member

Woodcraft is the way to go...

14. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

15. sdg

sdg *

cut/file your control pins off

16. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

17. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez