1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where is the group buy for Tipke carts?

Discussion in 'General' started by 05Yamabomber, Oct 28, 2020.

1. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

No accounting for the choices you made once you got here Phil.

Richie is a glaring example...

Sabre699 and Phl218 like this.
  2. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Hey just checking in to ensure there is progress on your cart project? Tried carrying my front and rear tire on the mini bike last weekend at Willow and ended up dropping my rear. I need a cart! LOL. Wife was talking about getting me one for xmas but I am holding out for yours. Just making sure this project is still active.

3. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

I am interested.
    I also think it is a good idea to support the community.
    Typke is available locally (West Marine $269.)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Phl218 likes this.
  4. Phl218

Phl218 .

Cart design and folding joint FEA is finished, still tweaking the handle mechanism.
    Ordering materials next week

TurboBlew, E Reed and 05Yamabomber like this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

UPDATE:

the bill of materials plugged into onlinemetals.com gave me a material price of $450 for the original design. square aluminum tubing was running over $200 , while the 4 sheets for bottom and walls were over $40 each, plus misc. added up quickly.

the good thing about it?

i came up with something better, simpler, cheaper, which will make it a sub- $250 tire cart with more dedicated value!!!

materials still on order, will be showing the first proto in the first week of January.

(and metalhead might have a job again)

TurboBlew and E Reed like this.
  6. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

The suspense is killing me! Im still in.

7. Phl218

Phl218 .

i'd love to post pictures of the designs but publishing is not a good idea.

8. joec

joec brace yourself

We actually call them dock carts. They're good fit hauling your gear from the car to the boat. Lots of yacht clubs and marinas use them..

Phl218 likes this.
  9. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Yup. Have a whole rack of about 5 of them at our marina for yacht club member use. Just as handy there as at the track....

Phl218 likes this.
  10. Phl218

Phl218 .

and they're great for that/ i have a tipke myself and the ingenuity and simplicity is great. they're just a tad small for tires ...

BUT - they are not as sturdy either, mine broke the rear holding rivet latch on the bottom floor, after rolling it down over a curb fully loaded (canopy, cooler, 5 gal of water).
    that's what got me thinking. ...

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

My apologies if I missed it. Based on your statement, what dimensions are you thinking for your build?

Phl218 likes this.
  12. Phl218

Phl218 .

not to reveal too much, but this pic is with 4x200 rears and some air, around 40"x30"

upload_2020-12-7_10-50-52.png

stickboy274 likes this.
  13. Hyperdyne

Well done. Thanks!

14. SundaySocial

SundaySocial Blue & Gold

Sounds good, Looks good.

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

not to create any confusion, this one is where the materials alone run $450.

But i have ordered the materials for the Plan B today, fabricating in the next couple of weeks to start rigorous testing in January.

there will be a small bike hitch option, i will also have a plate that you can tack/drill/rivet on your grom / zuma / pit bike

16. Phl218

Phl218 .

questions of preference:

should it hold 2 or 3 sets (pairs) of wheels?

when folded: does it have to be minimalist small or can it be significantly reduced but still with a ~20" wide axle? (the folding portion would relate to the wheel carrying portion and overall length...)

17. Hyperdyne

For purposes specific to me, being able to hold up to 4 rear tires would be perfect, and the max I would go to. The ability to fold would be awesome, however not entirely a breaking point.

KneeDragger_c69 likes this.
  18. 05Yamabomber

05Yamabomber Dammit Haga

Haha, I am opposite. 2 sets is plenty for me, and minimal folded space the better for trailer storage. Maybe you take a poll

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

Trying to reduce options ;)

beac83 likes this.
  20. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

4 rears for a weekend... you cant hide money!! :D 2 sets of tires should be plenty for 99% of the potential customers.

Shenanigans and Phl218 like this.