1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where does the RC51 get its name?

Discussion in 'General' started by TROX, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

You win.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Kagayama highsided again?

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

That that's funny right thar!

4. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

Dunno. What about Doze?

5. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

rc41 vf750....

6. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

The 1st letter denotes a displacement rank.

A - 50cc or less
    D - 55cc - 75cc
    H - 80cc - 100cc
    J - 110cc - 125cc
    K - 135cc - 145cc
    M - 185cc - 250cc
    N - 350cc - 400cc
    P - 450cc - 600cc
    R - 650cc - 800cc
    S - Above 900cc
    T - Carts and ATVs

The second letter is its intended use category:
    A - vehicle
    C - Road Vehicle/Street
    D - All terrain vehicle
    E - Race only
    F - Cart

The RC51 and RC211V are the only bikes that break this nomenclature. By their own designations, the RVF-1000 (RC51) should be designated SC-45, and the RC211V should be the SE211V, but it's Honda, and my info was translated from Japanese.. so who knows?

According to the info I have.. the RVF750 is the RC45, not RC41. The RC40 and RC41 were the NR750 with the RC40 being a rare oval piston version.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. FatFarthing

FatFarthing Guest

yeah, i was just guessing....going along the lines of the old V45 and V65 Magna nomenclature.

8. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

What about the NT650 Hawk (RC31) NT?

9. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

The name a bike is given for general public knowledge doesn't really have anything to do with its internal designation. CBR1000RR (SC57), CBR250RR (MC22), etc.

The RC31 is designated correctly. It's a 650cc street bike which puts it into the RC category.

10. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

Does this hold true for the dirt bike series too?

XR
    CR
    CRF

11. mkvamso

mkvamso Fall Risk

I don't think many bikes names mean anything relevant at all

hayabusa translates to peregrine falcon I'm pretty sure, a little hawk that dives at like 200 mph to kill shit

cbr means cross beam racer or something like that

gsxr= grand sport experimental racer

yzf yeeooww zing fast

it's all letters and numbers some Japanese people came up with to confuse us Americans

12. boccarp

boccarp Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1983 VF750...is a RC15

13. TROX

TROX I'm Rider D.

That is one clean-ass 1983 VF750F! (judging by the vin tag, that is...)

14. DirtNap

DirtNap used, but not used up.

Nah, it's just that the first 50 RC's failed.

Then they came up with the 51st version :)

15. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

Don't forget the trusty 2000-2001 SP1s!

Fixed it for ya!

And muscling the RC51 around Talladega is not too unlike wrestling a lady of the same proportions!

But isn't the RC51 in my avatar way cool? (good thing avatars don't show lap times)

16. mmfoor

mmfoor Team Stupid!

And a little known fact that due to the increase of MX training injuries suffered by professional roadracers, factory contracts now require RC51 training, which yields the same training benefits as riding motocross. THR is the same not to mention the anabolic and aerobic benefits.

Wanna get pumped? Get outta the weight room and get an RC51!!!

17. WSMC551

WSMC551 Well-Known Member

$50k, is that all? I would hate to actually add up what I've thrown at mine over the years.

18. Shane RC51

Shane RC51 Flying Pig Pilot

I'm late to the party, but I'm here to fulfill my obligation...

Napalm and BigHeadz are NOT the weakest link. The chassis code for the RC51 is actually SC45...

As for the $50k RC being slower than a stock GSXR, that may be true. What model years are we talking about? Certainly not a 10 year old GSXR. Anyone recall what their standing was in 2000-2002 WSBK? Or the '02 AMA Superbike? :Poke:

+1 :D

The best thing for me is when I come across some flip-flop wearing squid on a GSZXR-whatever, and he can't figure out what bike I'm on. They see the Honda sticker and ask "what kind of CBR is that?!"

19. Napalm

Napalm Active Member

Haha! Not quite as bad as the guy a couple years back who wanted to question my supposed support of Hillary Clinton because of the red, white and blue HRC decal i was sporting on my bike. :crackhead:

20. Jason748

Jason748 Race Junkie

:tut:
    Anyone recall just how different the frames, motors, etc... were on those bikes than the production stuff? If I recall, there was more HRC unobtanium on the bike than there was production parts... compared to the other make bikes on the grid the factory bikes looked more like GP bikes... :wow: