1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do I look???

Discussion in 'General' started by GixxerFaithful, Jul 20, 2017.

1. GixxerFaithful

GixxerFaithful Active Member

So one of my clients wants me to train his daughter with a 150r for dirt so she can learn to clutch. She and I have been working on mini moto and protective dad wants her to learn the rest on the dirt to help prevent injury...haha...

Anyway...he has given me a budget of no more than $1000 to get a comparable bike to help her train as I do not own a dirtbike.

I found a 91' RM250 2 stroke for $1200. It looks like it's in great shape with a bunch of work done.

My question is does anyone know anything about this bike model, or does anyone have something along the same lines for a $1000 cash. It needs to be in good shape and be ready to ride the dirt right away.

HELP!!!

2. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Yes..we know enough to know you don't want to take a rider that has been on 150r 4 thumper and toss her on a 250 2 stroke. Find something else.

cav115 likes this.
  3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Hold on. Has she been riding the 150R, or that's what her dad wants her to be able to ride?

4. GixxerFaithful

She is going to be on the 150...the 250 is for me

L8RSK8R likes this.
  5. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

Definitely....do not put her on an RM250.

Edit :)
    Enjoy your "new" RM250 braap, braap.

6. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Put her on a cr500 if you really want to accelerate the learning curve or hell both of you should get them.

In all seriousness why would you get on a big bike to teach someone on a small bike? Ride something similar in size

7. dtalbott

Can she ride the 150R? She knows how to use the clutch?

If you just want a chaser bike, XR/CRF 100.

8. L8RSK8R

L8RSK8R Well-Known Member

I found a 1987 RM125 (plenty of poke in it) for $700. Ran it in the desert last January, plenty of bike for me.

9. GixxerFaithful

I want a bigger bike for my own training as well. The 150r is more than enough for her to ride. I was looking for an opinion on the 91' Suzuki RM250 2 stroke as I have never owned a 2 stroke. Plus my client is paying for the bike as part of the payment to train her. Is it worth the 1200 the guy wants or is me offering him $1000 fair.

10. dtalbott

Sorry, it's been a long day and I get confused easily.

Does the Suzuki run?

11. socalrider

socalrider pathetic and rude

1000 is fair for that bike. Training on a two stroke with someone on a thumper may be tough since you will be doing different clutch things than she will.

12. GixxerFaithful

Here is the ad from the guy selling....

Bike is a 91 rm 250 fresh rebuild just had the suspension redone has new brakes Bike has blue frame and an fmf power core pipe and expansion chamber on it new rear tire and clutch as well new chain and sprockets bike is scary fast all it needs is a new rider!!

13. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

Not sure why anyone would put any $$$ into such an old dirt bike?? IF it has the stuff done mentioned in the ad... its worth $1000. I would probably check it over really close.

dtalbott likes this.
  14. GixxerFaithful

Found a CRF150F in good condition for super cheap...thanks everyone for helping me through this difficult time...lmao!

15. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Some of us don't make the best life choices. (92 Yamaha WR250ZD for reference.)

Attached Files:

16. GixxerFaithful

Lol...I was hoping the comment about my qualifications was still here...apparently that person isn't familiar with what I do for a living...smh

Anyway...thanks for the help everyone...picked up an 04 CRF150F in great shape for a great price...just don't feel like dealing with the amount of maintenance that a 2stroke is going to require...

17. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Odd, I got my smoker 'cause I didn't want to deal with the maint of a modern 450? Top ends are easy, other than that it's oil in the gas and ride.

motoracer1100 likes this.
  18. caferace

caferace No.

When you don't say who you are don't expect people to just ... know. Is that some infamous hixxer username? I've no clue. Can you lap Josh Owens? No idea.

-jim

badmoon692008 and GixxerFaithful like this.
  19. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Should we know yoir qualifications? Did you attend a prominent university?
    To properly assess your qualifications the beeb will need to review your 7th grade report card from the 2nd quarter.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    GixxerFaithful likes this.
  20. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Two stroke maintenance is far easier than four. Especially high strung fours like the 150r.

But congrats.

motoracer1100 likes this.